AutoCAD to Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

therealjd

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'm looking for a way to import a level using Autocad. Without the use of 3D studio max. Unreal ED mentions it can import DXF files but I haven't been able to do that with AutoCAD DXF format. What kind of DXF files can Unrealed accept?

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
therealjd said:
I'm looking for a way to import a level using Autocad. Without the use of 3D studio max. Unreal ED mentions it can import DXF files but I haven't been able to do that with AutoCAD DXF format. What kind of DXF files can Unrealed accept?

Very, very limited ones. You really, really, really want to use 3DSMAX as your go-between. In fact, the CAD-to-Unreal documentation that I never finished putting online is based around it.

I'll see if I can't wrap that stuff up soon.

therealjd

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Vito said:
Very, very limited ones. You really, really, really want to use 3DSMAX as your go-between. In fact, the CAD-to-Unreal documentation that I never finished putting online is based around it.

I'll see if I can't wrap that stuff up soon.

Thanks, I started looking at that documentation. It's thorough. But one thing i was wondering was if I NEED to texture the stuff in 3Dmax. I'm very comfortable with autocad, but never used 3Dmax. (I used Truespace ages ago).

Spooger

Dec 16, 2003
therealjd said:
Thanks, I started looking at that documentation. It's thorough. But one thing i was wondering was if I NEED to texture the stuff in 3Dmax. I'm very comfortable with autocad, but never used 3Dmax. (I used Truespace ages ago).

Tsk... tsk... Vito, you need to get that section all the way up. ;)

Maybe I could send him the information he is looking for?

Vito's right though, it's best to run it through MAX. The Autocad DXF exporter had some issues if I remember correctly, and I had to translate everything from Autocad to MAX and then export out as DXF (this was before the option to use the ASE format in Unreal). Even though both applications are Autodesk/discreet, the DXF exporter from Autocad would not carry into Unreal as MAX would, no idea why this was the deal.

If it's just a small file or one or two I could do the translation for you, but I don't have time for more than a couple. Offer stands anyway.

Contact me at mail@danielpatton.com if you need the translation from Autocad>MAX>Unreal.