JB-Egypt

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

expisCoR

Thinktank for the "Head CoR JB Mapper"
Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
OK, let me be the first to comment after trying it.

One word: "bot pathing", err that was two words. Oh, you did say that wasn't there. I did get the bots to the center, but that was when I had them cover me.

As for other comments, see attached pic, regarding the sky.

Looks like it is going to be fun, can't wait to see a final version (with bot support).

Attachments

• Shot00198.JPG
    Shot00198.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Shot00199.JPG
    Shot00199.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 28

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
As I said there is No Bot pathing whatsoever in this Beta. I'l try and get a second Beta out with botpathing next week sometime.
The Skybox looks like that As I put it together in a matter of seconds. The skybox from the screenshots is in a texture package I have made for testing and Dont want to release that aswell. This will be replaced by a nice pretty sky :)

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
It's going very well, but you still have a lot of work to do: :rolleyes:
- Try to avoid everything that looks cubish...
- I think you should change part of the layout. There are lots of hallways around the jaildoors. Hallways are not fun and they will encourage jail-camping (especally with a flak near them). Try to add bigger rooms (with some z-axis?) beside the jails...
- A foolish player could fall in the jails accidentally. Something to avoid this would be good...
- Yes, definitely add pads in the central room, getting to the higher walkway will be much easier.

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'd upload the pictures but after failing so many times, let me just type it out. You need to get the cubist look out of the skybox first. Bot paths are needed. You have blocky/chopey shadows near like the minigun, the watshows no water physics. For example when I jump into the water, I don't start swimming, nor can I drown. The water is just laid there like a texure. Be warned that the middle jail escape route can easily have people blown into it. Players could choose to stand at the middle and blast anybody trying to escape with the people in jail not able to kill him cause of the no jail kill mutator. The collision with the pillars, near the shockrifle is off. They are bunched in groups which means I can't run in-between some of them. This makes it hard to get in and out when wanting the shock rifle. The arena, although I personally have not tried it yet, has no bot support and needs a little work. Now onto the good things. I like the layout, very origional, and very inovative. Nice map, good theme, love the name. You got a great thing going here, keep up the good work.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
In Short, OK I should have called it an alpha!

G.Lecter said:
It's going very well, but you still have a lot of work to do: :rolleyes:
- Try to avoid everything that looks cubish...
- I think you should change part of the layout. There are lots of hallways around the jaildoors. Hallways are not fun and they will encourage jail-camping (especally with a flak near them). Try to add bigger rooms (with some z-axis?) beside the jails...
- A foolish player could fall in the jails accidentally. Something to avoid this would be good...
- Yes, definitely add pads in the central room, getting to the higher walkway will be much easier.

I'll work on the less cubish passages. The path coming out from under the switch I dont particularly like anyway, will probably put it in the big side wall somewhere and make it more open, but will work on that soon.

About the foolish players. Thats the general idea. I'm planning on putting Shockrifles inside the jails so you can shoot people who go past and hit them into jail. also you can push each other in :D

I have gotten rid of the stairs in the centre room, at this moment in time it is a long dodge wall but I will put a jumppad there (although it wont fit into the theme imo) for gameplay purposes and to give the people who cant dodge a chance ;)

Tarquin said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Head
As I said there is No Bot pathing whatsoever in this Beta.

So then it's an Alpha. Beta means "feature complete"
My Mistake, next version will have bot support :)

Spudsey said:
I'd upload the pictures but after failing so many times, let me just type it out. You need to get the cubist look out of the skybox first. Bot paths are needed. You have blocky/chopey shadows near like the minigun, the watshows no water physics. For example when I jump into the water, I don't start swimming, nor can I drown. The water is just laid there like a texure. Be warned that the middle jail escape route can easily have people blown into it. Players could choose to stand at the middle and blast anybody trying to escape with the people in jail not able to kill him cause of the no jail kill mutator. The collision with the pillars, near the shockrifle is off. They are bunched in groups which means I can't run in-between some of them. This makes it hard to get in and out when wanting the shock rifle. The arena, although I personally have not tried it yet, has no bot support and needs a little work. Now onto the good things. I like the layout, very origional, and very inovative. Nice map, good theme, love the name. You got a great thing going here, keep up the good work.

THE SKYBOX IS TEMPORARY!!! read my last post! :p
The water isnt actually water there, its just what it will look like roughly
As I said earlier this post, The walkway above the jails is a feature, Just like the open jails on many open maps.... Whats wrong with mine????
I'l check the collisions tomorrow. You'l notice there are 2 bigger gaps betwwen pillars by the Shock, its more visuals atm, will work on getting small gameplay tweaks like that out later.
The arena was put together in a matter on minutes.
About the blocky shadows by the minigun, I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but I'l let you know when I see the screeny's I guess.

Thanks about the layout, this was something I had came up with ages and have really wanted to get into a good playable map (unlike the CTF map I made with a similar layout)

Cheers all for the feedback. Keep it coming ;)
-still looking for Ideas of where to place weapons (I'm an IG player - its not something I know well)

I dont get why you all like the Title :p seems too plain to me, ahwell ;)
saves me coming up with something new

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The current place for the minigun is ideal for the rocket launcher really. It makes it a good's foot walk to get it and makes it a little scarse. Also, we love the name cause it's short, sweet, to the point, and describes the real theme of them map in one word.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Cheers you two

@Spudsey, nice to hear the name is better than I thought lol. WIll swap the weapons around when I next have UED open.

@Kantham, Cheers mate, I will be working from that point on the lighting. Gonna aim to get some good shadows instead of cramming the level with static meshes (thats why I like the egyptian theme - Architecture is better than Meshes)

Got exams for the rest of the week, and then I am building a new computer but will aim to get another Beta out by end of next week. Just keep at me with ideas ;)
The skybox is only really there for the lighting at the moment. Will be made properly at some point.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Its just jrubzjeknf's excuse to post something without commenting on the map :p
Kantham dya change ur sig and avatar everytime you post??? lol

I've done a bit more work on the map. I have changed the underground route to be more direct. Also instead of a big long slope i went against my original feelings and put in a jumpad to keep the game flowing quick. Hopefully the gameplay will make up for the fact that it doesnt fit in right. - I will do my best to make it look right though.

Nova (jrubzjeknf) is working on team based jumpads / blocking volumes / teleporters. If that goes well I will have shared jails which will be fun. Also if my memory serves me correctly (doesnt usually lol) no other maps have this yet

Aersik

Turbo charged pogo stick
Feb 9, 2005
I think most of the things I noticed have already been mentioned (pillars, boxy look etc). I don't like superweapons on any map, and I think having two here is a bit overkill. The major exploit is being able to shield jump/xloc out of the main map/arena and run around on top of the walls.

And the escape...I'll let the demo speak for itself :D

Attachments

• egyptescape.zip
    62.4 KB · Views: 21

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
UPDATE

Kantham with a new sig ^^ :p also avatar - nicejob

OT mode :lol:

Got updates for you with something I think you may all look forward to courtesy of a good freind of mine.

Firstly I have removed the extra way out of the base (entrance with shieldgun)
11-06-middle.jpg

Have made some other tweaks in the underground areas which sucked frankly, I couldn't think of an interesting way to decorate them either. So removed the underground route between bases (d/w theres still a couple to choose from)
11-06-redesigned-side.jpg

this shot showing the more direct path to the jail
11-06-redesigned-side2.jpg

Inside that door you get this:
the whole at the far side goes down to the Jail. (Yes Jail_) ;)
You get out with a jumpad -went with this too keep gameplay fast
11-06-redesigned-route-to-jail.jpg

And the best bit :D
One jail for both teams
yeh you read that right, congrats on the code Jrubzjeknuf. How it all works will be left for now. (main reason being I have to get it working properly)
11-06-Jail.jpg

Most of the map will still take some tweaking in weapons and visuals Although the bascis are done now. Jail needs some work, very bland at the moment.

As I said about the jail. I'm having a couple of probs.... the doors won't open.... can't work out why. Will replace all the involved actors and that should hopefully fix it

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
At the moment it is like this:

1 jail with 2 doors. red team release the red door opens and vice versa. Behind the door is a volume that will kill the players that shouldn't escape. Behind the red door the blue players are killed and vice versa.

Am currently making some of the rooms look better and will get a beta out later unless some thing goes wrong.