Half life 2 delayed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Toolvana said:
I will be shocked if this is actually true. After Valve learning the error of their ways with HL, I thought for sure the September 30th ship date was rock solid.
Unless of course, Vivendi is either being pressured by vid card manufacturer's for some reason, OR they are just ass munches and want to start shiznit.:con:

what do you mean error of their ways with HL? no one even cared about Half-life until it was finally released.

kerilk

Feb 13, 2001
Visit site
Or vivendi could decide that releasing it for christmas is a much better operation for them, and force valve into delaying it.
Fear the power of money.....

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
tool said:
no one even cared about Half-life until it was finally released.

I did.

Delays are okay in my book, as long as the release is still withing a reasonable timeframe.

EDIT: And Jesus, guys stop complaining that Vivendi might be willing to delay it to make more money. Of course they want money, and hell, why not? You'd most certainly do the same thing.

Last edited:

Vers Vlees

Oohhh a custom title
Nov 30, 2002
The Netherlands
www.versvlees.owns.it
NOOOOOOOOOOO
lets just hope HL2 will not dissapear with Team fortress 2 and Duke nukem Forever ;)
hehe just kidding I just had to make that silly comparision.
well I dont think HL2 will be delayed that much. Im mean what is the best christmas present by then....

well Half life 2 afcourse. (or atleast for me then :p)

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Toolvana said:
I will be shocked if this is actually true. After Valve learning the error of their ways with HL, I thought for sure the September 30th ship date was rock solid.

In what way was Half-Life an error? It took a long time, but they came out with possibly the best game ever. If Valve is supposed to learn anything from that, it's 'don't rush it'.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
As long as it works better than Raven Shield is now, with more cd-read errors with each new patch, I'll be happy. Besides, gives us all a chance to upgrade.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
I dont understand why everyone here is so against pushing back release dates a few months or so. Now, with DNF and TF2, it's a bit retarded (actually, a lot retarded) but like clayeth said, would you rather have an unfinished, buggy game early or a finished, playable game in a few months later?

Besides, it's Valve, they just want to make sure what they are shipping is one kick-ass game, I mean, hell, look at Half-Life 1!

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I think the public response is just knee jerk reactions more then anything else. Fan's are just disapointed that they are going to have to wait a little while longer, but in the end they really dont care and are willing to wait it out, there will be plenty of games being released in the mean time to help hold out for Half-life 2.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
No offical system requirements have been released yet on Half-life 2, so lets hold off judgement until then. As it looks right now though you can guess that they will be high.

kerilk

Feb 13, 2001
Visit site
The problem for Half-Life 2 being delayed from Vivendi but Valve not knowing it is a good clue to say the game will be finished and ready to release, but will be delayed until christmas, which they believe would be a better release date.
Especially if you consider the recent delay of DOOM3, Half-Life 2 has no more coimpetitor to face, so no worry of being after DOOM3, which could have been comercially bad. (UT2004 is not in the same niche)

That's why I believe this delay could only be commercial and not for the quality of the product, and it upsets me a bit yes.
And upsetting the potential consumers is not a good marketting move.....

Jul 22, 2000
tool said:
No offical system requirements have been released yet on Half-life 2, so lets hold off judgement until then. As it looks right now though you can guess that they will be high.

The current target is a 700Mhz CPU and TNT2. Yes, it's probably a load of bollocks, but if there's a hint of truth behind it, a GeForce 3 should suffice (till the intro movie at least ;)).

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
tool said:
Fan's ... they really dont care and are willing to wait it out.

... so what about the fans that do care and aren't willing to wait it out?

lol

i've got plenty of things (& other games) to keep me busy until HL2 gets released, so no biggie here. I'm still hoping tho...

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
DeDpoet|BuF said:
... so what about the fans that do care and aren't willing to wait it out?

lol

i've got plenty of things (& other games) to keep me busy until HL2 gets released, so no biggie here. I'm still hoping tho...

umm... **** them?

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
More drama!

Just a follow-up on yesterday's Half-Life 2 delay story: to clear things up, we have confirmed directly with Vivendi Universal that there is a delay. We've even double checked. Valve has yet to send an official confirmation or denial either way on this, and other sites are reporting that there isn't a delay based on alleged email answers Gabe Newell sent to random fans. In some cases, these mails are obviously forged.
Yes, Valve is developing Half-Life 2 and they have control over when the game is declared finished, but Vivendi is responsible for publishing the game and actually getting it in stores. And that entire quality assurance, duplication, packaging, and distribution process takes time. So Vivendi has a little bit of say in the matter too, wouldn't you say?

Now, if there really wasn’t a delay, Valve could have easily sent a two line press release out telling everybody that everything was right on schedule. But they haven’t. And considering the original Half-Life, TF2, TFC, the HL SDK, Steam, CS: CZ, and pretty much every other project Valve has been involved with has suffered delays of various lengths, this latest setback shouldn’t be surprising.

Really, this isn’t a big deal, as we should still get the game this year. Valve doesn’t want to push a crappy version of Half-Life 2 out the door just for the sake of meeting some arbitrary deadline, and I’m sure they won’t ship Half-Life 2 until it is ready.

As always, we’ll attempt to keep you posted.

source : www.gamespydaily.com

:hmm: