I got my X-Box today

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
An interesting thing about the Gamecube is that I see more of those still sitting on shelves than X-box'es. When PS2's came out last year, you never saw one of those in stock either.

I attribute it to the Gamecube's weak launch game lineup.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Originally posted by hal
I attribute it to the Gamecube's weak launch game lineup.

"...weak launch game lineup?" Hmm...I guess this is really just opinion, but the way I see it, I like all of the GameCube's launch games, but only like one of XBox's (Madden). IMO, I think "Super Monkey Ball" is the best launch game between those two consoles, with Wave Racer whatever it was called next and Rogue Leader after that.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Originally posted by eraser|BuF
Double (n) for game cube. clay, don't make the mistake my friend did, he bought a game cube, it's nothing special, it's just a nintendo 64 but a more square box. i'd go with xbox (y) or just pc :D
Oh my God! Someone take the crackpipe away from this guy! Lets just think about the N64 compared to the new systems here. Hmm... Sanfransico rush, graphics look like sh¡te, and has a HORRIBLE framerate. Compare to GC games like Rogue Squadron, where you have 10 ships on screen, hundreds of lasers firing, graphics and sound as good as any game out, and BEAUTIFUL framerates.
I've gotta ask this: Why bother with consoles when you're sitting in front of a Computer?

Sure, they're good for sports games, but that's about it.

There are a lot of games that are not only more suited for the console, but only appear there. Classic console-style gameplay is the reason that everyone wants one. This is why I want a Gamecube. Xbox and Playstation are getting a lot more PC-like with their games. There is no reason for me to get them because I hate playing FPS' (for example) on consoles.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Originally posted by Sparky
I've gotta ask this: Why bother with consoles when you're sitting in front of a Computer? ;)

...because I can can go to my local BlockBuster video store and rent the $50 game for a week,silly :D

Foetal Youth

Nov 14, 2001
Eng-er-land
Visit site
GC does have Dolby 5:1 compatability but not many launch games use it (I think). It's down to the software producers to take advantage of compatability.
4 final words:
Star Wars Rougue Squadron
Nuff siad.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Originally posted by ZenPirate
and I don't care what you anti-Xbox folks feel about it,I think it ownz.Easy to set up,didn't crash :D sweet interface,great sound,video,and a force feedback controller to boot.Haven't tried out the DVD kit yet,too busy playing Halo and Oddworld for that.It looks much better on my TV than the crappy little ones the stores used for the demo model.Anyway...now my only problem is time sharing between return to castle wolfenstein,X-Box,and the family :D

First off, great choice in getting the Xbox! :) I got mine the day it was released and I love it like it was a girl friend or something :lol:

If your looking for awsome games get Halo, Amped and Dead or alive 3. :)

Grand Theft Auto 3, Elder scrolls 3, soul caliber 2, and a few other awsome games are coming out on the Xbox to next year. so Xbox fans get some great games, these are also coming to the PS2, but look on the bright side. you guys get these games with FAR better graphics and faster FPS. :)

/me loves his PS2 crushing machine :)

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
I got a bundle,so I got halo,oddworld,fuzion frenzy,the DVD kit,and a bunch of assorted accessories,from a store called "F.Y.E.".Next on my list is Arctic Thunder.I wont knock Gamecube or PS2 tho,they both have very good features,and I wouldn't mind getting Gamecube for my kid(little bugger already stole my N64 :D )

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Re: Re: I got my X-Box today

Originally posted by -_-T()()L-_-

you guys get these games with FAR better graphics and faster FPS. :)

/me loves his PS2 crushing machine :)

XBox has Far better graphics and better FPS? Yeah right. I don't see anything for it that looks as good as MGS2 or GT3 except maybe DOA3... Give it time and yeah, it will improve even further, but it is not FAR better than PS2. They are about equal.

As for a PS2 crushing machine, we shall see. Microsoft vs. Sony... ahahahaha I cannot help but laugh. :D

Anyway enjoy your 32 bit system(while it lasts) while I enjoy my 128 bit system(forever). :)

ViperXL

Great Car
Dec 9, 1999
St. Louis, MO, USA
YEa, i dont rag on other consoles. hehe, i hate it when 2 great consoles come out at the same time:

1) i have to pick between them, and in this case it was hard.
2) i have to see this kind of arguing.

:(
What does arguing over a console do? justify you're spending money on it? i dont understand.

But the reason i ultimatly picked Xbox was: My cousin can get me games for $10 instead of $50 :D

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
I've gotta ask this: Why bother with consoles when you're sitting in front of a Computer? ;)

Every one else seems to have missed this one liitle point. PCs will never match a console ability to get four people on the same couch and go at it in an all-out multiplayer brawl. A few such games come to mind . . .
Super Smash Bros
Super Monkey Ball
GoldenEye
All those sports and wrestleing games I hate to play ;)
Mario Party
Halo
UT
Tekken Tag
DOA3

And there are probably legions of games I'm forgetting, but the point is, multiplayer with a console is a whole different (and more fun) way to interact with other people while you play a game.

The only way PCs get close to that is if you are one of the few of us who can spend several thousand dollars and buy several computers and make a LAN. And even then you have the problem that certain games aren't made for PC.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site

Because they're making a lot of advertisement for them and people are people.
And they are shiny.

Last edited:

Um, wrong.

Consoles are great for any number of things, but let's first of all get clear on one very key point. It's all a matter of taste. Lots of people don't see the need to plunk several hundred dollars down on a machine that only plays games, when they already have a machine that plays games, but also does a whole lot more. And that makes perfect sense.

But this, in no way, means that consoles are "only good for sports games." I don't particularly like hovering in front of my computer to play games. I'd much prefer to be on my nice big couch, using the big ol' TV. Also, there are a number of games that I personally like that are not available for computer. And unless you've got a very nice set up, playing multiplayer (in your own house) on a computer is rather awkward.

So, despite that fact that I have 2 computers in my house, I will always prefer consoles for gaming. But that's just my personal preference. Getting into the whole "consoles suck, computers own!" (or vice versa, for that matter) is ridiculous. It's just as stupid as the "which console is better?" argument. It's your money and your free time. Use it however makes you happy.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Re: Re: Re: I got my X-Box today

/me loves his PS2 crushing machine

Originally posted by Twisted Metal
XBox has Far better graphics and better FPS? Yeah right. I don't see anything for it that looks as good as MGS2 or GT3 except maybe DOA3... Give it time and yeah, it will improve even further, but it is not FAR better than PS2. They are about equal.

As for a PS2 crushing machine, we shall see. Microsoft vs. Sony... ahahahaha I cannot help but laugh. :D

Anyway enjoy your 32 bit system(while it lasts) while I enjoy my 128 bit system(forever). :)

ARG! :mad:

Both these systems are great. So is the Gamecube. When it comes right down to it, they can all have great looking games. Just because one's specs appear better, doesn't mean that the games will be better for it, or even that they'll look better. Each company has taken a VERY different approach and has very different hardware. They don't even handle stuff the same way. They're all great, and they all have their own strengths. I don't think ANYTHING's goint to get crushed (afterall, SEGA doesn't have a console in the mix :D).

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
Is this thing on ? Err... 1,2 ...

I just wanted to mention that, after reading Matt Soell's Halo-updates weekly messages, I'm convinced that Halo has been dumbed down so it could ship on the XBox release day... There are just lots of unused terminals and absences of comments in the game... :( I really wish the Mac/PC version will have all those "missing features".

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
The only thing I play on the PC is FPS's and RTS's. Those are the only two genres the computer does better than the console. Everything else I play while laying comfortably on my couch.

John13

Scrotum Pole
Apr 13, 2001
0z
Visit site
if your not looking for the uber elite gaming pc, you can buy a bare bones type of system extremely cheaply now.

can see where people think: Geforce3 (etc) or console

does my P4 or althon xp download pr0n that much fatser than my P2 ;)

Wild Weasel

Mar 20, 2001
Visit site
Ive heard that 10% of the people (or 1/3, one of the two) that bought an X-BOX had to return them b/c of technical issues...anyone else heard of this?

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Originally posted by Wild Weasel
Ive heard that 10% of the people (or 1/3, one of the two) that bought an X-BOX had to return them b/c of technical issues...anyone else heard of this?

this is the reason why the Xbox was delayed. The numbers would have been alot higher if it was released on the 8th.

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Originally posted by Wild Weasel

/Raises hand

I'm one of the guys that's had to take tham back :) I would say it's closer to 10% (that I've delt with anyway), about 15% or so. Haven't had one GameCube.