Beta RTNP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I would like to know, that if there was something like beta of Return to Na Pali, containing some unused stuff. As we know Unreal has got 97 beta, so maybe there is something similar in expansion pack?

No. There are beta RTNP pics however, with old weapon looks etc and arctic marines being used. But it was never leaked or published. The 97 beta you mention is actually 98 beta, february one. People like to call it 97 beta because the copyright 1997 wasn't updated and few files came from 97, but the build itself wasn't.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=177545

http://www.ign.com/images/games/unr...-to-na-pali-pc-11653/4fa6c96ecdc388ed13e40a02
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=18449&tab=screen
http://www.jeuxvideopc.com/jeux/description-9736-unreal-mission-pack-return-to-na-pali.php

Funny that the arctic marine screenshot is gone now, since it was hosted elsewhere. But it showed the old rocketlauncher design too. Not only different skin but different mesh too.

I can't find the pic anywhere now. Anyone has it saved?

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Do you have the beta of RTNP? Models, skins etc? Anything? Cause I've readed that there was no release..

No of course not, I don't.

What do you mean with no release?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
That Epic didn't released it.

BTW. Could I contact with someone from Epic who could help me to get the RTNP oldie stuff?

You can, but I don't think you would have any chances succeeding, from what I know they might not even store legend's stuff, or only have it on backups, which they have strictly said not to be opened only in case of emergency or something like that. Tbh, the rtnp beta stuff isn't as interesting/different. Yes, the weapons had different design and there were subtle changes in prometheus as seen in these shots which are not anywhere found anymore. But that's about it.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
RTNP as finished you are already looking at unreleased Unreal mappage modded around for RTNP. The Arctic marine is in RTNP. But the model animations were rough, Turboman did a good job fixing them. If you have the Unreal beta you have the beta maps that made RTNP, Legend made new maps to mix into the other maps.
What would be more interesting find is the original mappage that was supposed to be the Unreal sequel which has been discussed here. We know by now Unreal was a bigger game before cutting back otherwise all those beta maps may have made it to release, so a sequel would have been new mappage.
But instead, we got what happened. In a way I kinda wanna see the original Unreal done as is before the cutting floor filled. Oh well, rush it....

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Main reason are weapons. I would like to get oldie models of RTNP. Maps doesn't interest me.
Or any not-used yet models of weapons. That's why I'm asking.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the chance of Epic releasing any old content is now ZERO

Mark Rein himself expressed a certain "Disappointment" when he found out that Beta U1 content (Like the Translocator and PeaceMaker) were included in the 227 patch (But these files came with the source, so wtf mark) They were generous enough to release the U1/UT source to Smirf (of Oldunreal) but they've already made clear that they lost any backups they had of UPak and any early content pertaining to UPak (Which is why the 226 source couldn't be obtained)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I hate to burst your bubble, but the chance of Epic releasing any old content is now ZERO

Mark Rein himself expressed a certain "Disappointment" when he found out that Beta U1 content (Like the Translocator and PeaceMaker) were included in the 227 patch (But these files came with the source, so wtf mark) They were generous enough to release the U1/UT source to Smirf (of Oldunreal) but they've already made clear that they lost any backups they had of UPak and any early content pertaining to UPak (Which is why the 226 source couldn't be obtained)

Chameleon/Hawk (the later was compltely reanimated for 227 so it's not the old mesh anyway) wasn't included neither the code reused for PeaceMaker (and other stuff), the meshes were included though again in exception of the pawns, but apparently use of beta content is legally okay in Unreal mods, or at least they changed that policy, so I wouldn't take this seriously, if even the Mark Rein claim/rumor is true (which I kinda doubt).
The 226 sources that were given to Smirf were full as far as I know, except not the 226b sources with UPak, so the UPak had to be remade, but given that there is a source of the Upak.dll in the public 226b headers, the predator stuff, which is the only thing Upak.dll used, it isn't hard to remake (only that you don't have all the meshes/code tree handy) and wasn't that hard given that UPak is now actually with 227 patches.

Actually, it doesn't make sense that Unreal Engine 1 is still closed source, you cannot even license it anymore (Smirftsch did license it in 2005 afaik), 3Drealms and Id software always released their source codes, recently even Doom3 source.

Last edited:

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
releasing the beta content as is is not smart as its unfinished material and potentially buggy. Anyone nabbing it trying it has to understand that their on their own no support. (official that is) "dissapointed" didnt say denied, but all the beta content was -meant- for the game unreal, released or not. RTNP had a short creation life vs Unreal, about a year and a lot of material already in existence used for it, only a few new things like the Marines, Predator, 2-3 new weapons.
I don't see a lot of beta-ish available here anyways. What you see in RTNP is what was made and not much of thrown away unused stuff, if any, in not very useable condition. I think it stayed inhouse without a lot of promotional beta versions being tossed about. Obviously EPIC handed Beta's out to keep industry interested and keeping attention on the game preparing them for whats coming. But I don't think it was needed for RTNP. I have never heard of any RTNP beta's, you may as well expect ZERO from this.
However in making my RTNP-Search I found unused things ingame in RTNP and activated them, like in Glatherial 1 there was pathing for a Nali to run upstairs, but it was not activated, so I made it work. I also used original Unreal features never used ingame and did -something- with them. I found issues with maps and fixed them, Glathriel 2 skybox didnt look right so I fixed that and found out that the map maker didnt really fix this on release so now its correct in my project.
Also found some unused skybox textures and used them. Oh there was also a scout ship in 3rd prometheus map doing nothing, apparently it was to fly around, so I did like in Unreal 1. So on release RTNP had unfinished business in it like its sorta a half beta, but Unreal also did this. Oh Toxic had a hidden room that never opened, so that was fixed.
There is another new thing in RTNP and thats the Nali Skeleton.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
I have pawn if you want

U97UnrealI.U97BigMan.jpg

U97UnrealI.U97Krall.jpg

U97UnrealI.U97Dragon.jpg

download http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=Custom_pawn/&file=U97UnrealI.rar

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Much appreciated if you'd at least credit the original creator of this, darkmedor.

Just so that you know, this file is the fruit of Master Unreal's backbreaking labor.