... permission...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... so, i want to use some textures from some maps for UT. The thing is, the authors are out of reach - either no reply, or simply no contact at all. These maps are also "old", so their authors might not even be related to Unreal at all nowadays. What to do? Use the textures anyway? No?...

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Just use whatever you want,is the way I see it,all this permission crap is for the birds.

For one thing all the textures and meshes are put in the maps,if they are in there I would use them.

But as long as one don't claim to have made the textures or the meshes,then all is cool.

However taking a whole map structure and making it look different then calling it your own is 100% stealing-theft.

Also by not mentioning it in the readme or elseware is also fine,if you did say,"these meshes were from blagh blagh map" too me,it's just being nice,it's not required .

Thats my opinion,if the stuff is out there just use it,and the thing is,is this is one of the only forms of utopia around that is left,if all these people want credit for there texture (unless your nice) then they better go work for the company and have papers drawn up so no one can use there stuff.

It's kinda rediculas for people to be complaining about "you didn't say ,so-and-so ,in the readme" pfffft ,if I had stuff taken from my maps ,wich they wont anyway it would be fine by me,I am under the same roof,because I sent it someware to a site of wich it can be taken,permission or not.

And yes I will add that because it is nice to credit the authors,therefore I would do that,but I damn sure I will never ask permission (unless it's the whole map I wanted to remake).

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Good thread

I've always thinked about starting a thread like this one for the meshe i used from DM-Altena. I sent 2 mail in total to him and he never replyed back. I decided to give up the map as a good guy from the comunity to be very sure. we can't tell if he will like it if someone use his materials and give credits without asking his own permission. Some people could get very mad to see their meshes/texture in a screenshot preview of a map on nalicity. People like Desp#2 for example love to share with the comunity and just ask some credits. That's my kind of mapper.

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Also it's a fine line between
;would the original content creator think it's cool to see thier stuff in other mappers work.
OR
;would it be they get mad because all they think is ,the other guy "stole" it.

I mean think about it since unrealEd1 in unreal,there has been so many maps made,wether it be stock content or others content theoreticaly it's all been somebodys work BEFORE.
So for every little mesh or texture to be asked to use would be rather redundent,wich defaults to the side of the content maker to just be happy people are "using" it.

And unrealED or epic didn't see fit to put some anticopy thing in the editor,seeing as how it was FREE.
So why the hell would mappers be asking and asking and asking,because it's not like stealing being that doing a map is a lot of work.Just making the map wich is different is good enough for me.
The trick is that us lesser mappers can't pull off what you semi pro mappers do,now thats the REAL content,not just the stuff in a level.

Last edited:

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... asking for permission is common courtesy, and i always follow by those "guidelines" when in such situation. The issue here is the inability to reach the people and thus, a writen permission. Credit is the README file is always a must as well...

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Nahand said:
... asking for permission is common courtesy, and i always follow by those "guidelines" when in such situation. The issue here is the inability to reach the people and thus, a writen permission. Credit is the README file is always a must as well...

Yes I basicaly agree,but there are too many maps around ,and people are going to USE things in others maps.
Also I presume that people don't consider that you need to ask permission because the maps are free,it's a "community" and not viewed as stealing.

So long as they make thier own map ,but the line is drawn if they copy the actual map,then they must ask permission.

And here is another aspect,say the old original author gave up on UT or editing,would'nt it be cool to come back here after you quit making maps for more than 2,3 5 years later and see your textures being used?

As well as it would be nice to see credit for them as well,but it wouldnt bother me or i could add a comment if I was bothered by it.

But generaly speaking I believe all maps content is up for grabs,not because of what I think ,but because it's just the way it ends up anyway.

Cyrss

Nov 20, 2005
UK
I asked the same thing today....but if credit was given and my textures used,np
I expect if textures were copied/stolen from say a HL2 map and placed in a ut2k4 DM map then there might be probs but I don't know.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
use the textures and also copyright them and also code into your map so when someone downloads it from a server if they want to download your copyrighted textures they have to insert an almost new condom into the floppy.

Generally when a mapper makes a ton of custom stuff for a level they are very careful to put conditions of use in the readme.
I personally say if they didn't say anything about it in the readme, and they don't answer emails, go ahead and use it but in your readme just say where you got the stuff.

@Red Fist:
It takes a lot of time and effort to make good custom content. It makes your level unique. If some authors don't want you to use the stuff you should respect that. I've only ever seen one level that stated w/o exception the content shouldn't be used. I can't even remember the map but it was a fantasy type map and I think it was BR. That author needs to get over themself. Ghey **** I never would have used anyway, but I was pretty damn shocked when I read the readme. I deleted the map straightaway.
Just take the time to learn how to do it yourself.