Shooting through walls, an experiment

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BA Baracus

I pity the fool!
Oct 17, 2000
texas
www.giantsofscience.org
to me it seemed that shooting through walls had all but disappeared in 2.8x, but other people and the team members all said it was still there. so i went upon a little experiment. i downloaded the ballistics test map and did some testing. just thought others might like to see my results:

weapon - - - # walls penetrated*
M92F - - - - - - - - - -3
DE - - - - - - - - - - -7
M3 - - - - - - - - - - -3
AKSMU - - - - - - - - - 6
MP5 - - - - - - - - - - 3
M16 - - - - - - - - - - 4(i would have thought more, but what do i know...)
PSG - - - - - - - - - - 6
Robar - - - - - - - - - 8

* the map has eight different sections of wall, starting at one end with the thinnest all the way up to the other end being the thickest. i'm numbering them with 1 the thinnest, 8 thickest, the number represents the last piece of wall the weapon was able to penetrate. the wall sections were not aligned in a row for consecutive penetration, i.e a 3 does not mean it shot through 3 sections of wall before the bullet stopped but that i tried the thinnest section, it penetrated, i moved on to #2, it penetrated, #3, it penetrated, #4, no penetration, so 3 is the last wall full penetrated. hope i make sense. if you download the map it'll be clear

i guess the walls in the 2.8 map pack are just thicker than they used to be...

mrtt4.jpg

smithnwessun

Gravel
Jan 11, 2001
Quebec,Canada
M-16

I am not surprise to see the M-16 doing only 3...it is only 5.56mm so it is not like the aksmu caliber...personnaly i hate the m-16 with a scope...cost too much for all the soldier in your army for nothing...can be broke on the field but in inf it is ok because you equipement can be break or get full of sand...

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
AHAHAHA, the de rules, MORE FACE RUBBING!!!

boy i'll love 2.85, blowing away all those beretta people with my desert eagle even if they take cover.

however i am surprised that the de performes better then the AKSU and PSG1

Crosshairs are for wimps :)

Killing stupid people is not just a hobby, it's a way of life.

mademancolour5.jpg

Ray_Wilson

Dec 8, 1999
Classified
Visit site
Heh

Snipers get their meat with the Robar! :D

Personaly I like Berreta more then Desert Eagle, Berreta is faster and a tad easier to aim with.. :cool:

Rwilson.jpg

Stay frosty and keep your mind cool..

Acey4 NA

Nov 27, 2000
um its no use if it shoots faster if it can't go through sh't!hahahahahaha[no offense]hahahahaha the DE rocks,when 2.85 comes out[i think it might be fridayish when it does,or monday if it is perfect]everyone will see the beutiful glare of my DE and piss them sevles,hahahahahaha

crush the good men that bow to you,then die by the hand of me. Title:TEAM KILLING,by AJ,Freddrick

-=SDS=-A-TeamDan

Oct 25, 2000
www.geocities.com
Moment of Glory

Wow a tear rolls from my eye as a i read this thread. It seems only months ago the only people who would even touch the desert eagle was me and jonnyboy. Now i sit here looking at my monitor with a smile on my face. Im glad you all see the ways of the DE

A-TD.gif

Chronic

unƒuckwithable
Aug 13, 2000
About the DE vs. M9

DE:

Advantages: More power, better wall penetration.
Disadvantages: Harder to aim with, smaller clip size, more recoil.

Beretta M9:

Advantages: Larger clip size, easier to aim with, less recoil.
Disadvantages: Less powerful, less wall penetration.

My choice: I mostly use the DE, however I have to respect the M9, it is not a piece of ****, It is much easier to aim with, so better for long range shooting. Part of this is because the front sight on the DE is almost impossible to see. It also has more clip size, so less chance of getting killed in reloads.

Also, time to knock some of the people who think that DE guys are idiots. I've read some posts where people say that we are UT DM people and just want the biggest most powerful gun we can find. Not true, far from it. I will mostly use the DE in INF and for my main weapon I will most likely be using the M-16 (Hey, it only takes 3 shots to kill anyway;) or the FN P90. Besides, who needs power when it only takes one headshot to kill with any gun. That is, unless you can hit people like that. That's why I like the MP5 right now, just spray headshot level and you rack up 6 KIA's in one clip. Fun stuff. Anyway, that's enough rambling on for now. :D

-Chronic

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
"Besides, who needs power when it only takes one headshot to kill with any gun"

Exactly, and with the M9 you get many more chances to hit the head within a specified amount of time than with the DE.

BTW, which of these 2 guns would you consider more powerful?:

M60 medium machine gun: 7.62x51mm, 550 rounds per minute.

XM214 "micro-gun"/"mini-minigun": 5.56x45mm, 1,000 to 10,000 rounds per minute.

The M60 has the bigger bullet, but I think it's obvious that the XM214 totes more firepower. I think it's debatable wether the DE is more powerful than the M9 in INF- one round from the M9 does approx 3/4 of one from the DE, but I think the M9 more than makes up for that in rate of fire.

Paublosanchez

Aug 12, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
personly i saw screw the de and berreta = )

i go for AK MSU and the m16 with a scope

AK MSU: More ammo, more damage, and more wall pentration then the mp5.

M16: Perfect mid range sniping weapon 3 shot kills.

i used to take a long the m3, but i want to make sure i'm prepared when 2.85 comes out so i take a minimal load out, i think my loadout now is about 33, 35 something like that.

Kain

Nov 7, 1999
Visit site
Methinks it's good the way people are arguing over which is better. At least it means they're both balanced, and one is for blowing people apart while one is for quick lethal shots in the back. :)

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
btw you can fire the DE as fast as the beretta, it is semi-auto after all. So scratch the ROF. I practised on the firing range and i am now able to empty the DE just as fast and accurate as the beretta (both 10 bullets, DE loaded +1).

Crosshairs are for wimps :)

Killing stupid people is not just a hobby, it's a way of life.

Mademanc.jpg

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
There's a slight delay between depressing your fire button and the gun actually firing. The DE does in fact have a slightly slower ROF than the m9. I prefer the m9 myself :D

It's a wise person who knows the difference between free speech and cheap talk.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
The M9 fires faster and has more ammo, but the DE is stronger. I think they balance out, so it depends on your style of play. I think a more stealthy player would choose the DE because they would want to be able to take someone down more quickly. You could argue that with the M9 you can still get a head shot and kill in one shot, but in my opinion aiming with the m9 and de is harder than with other weapons.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I find the M9 a lot easier to fire. Its so easy to aim, and will take out someone in 3 shots anyway, compared to the 2 a DE can take. It all comes down to personal preferences.

The DE does have the huge advantage of sounding really cool tho :D

LordKhaine

Hannibal

Jan 6, 2000
Visit site
m9

I think the DE feels more clumsy and akward than the M9. The M9 feels very professional and clean(couldn't think of a better word to describe it) when it fires. Also, it has a larger magazine and with my aim... :rolleyes: