Doom 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Uac_dead...

:rockon:

Still scrolling? Man you're a brave soul.

Anyway,

Man what a level.. remember the start? Pretty intense the first time you played it. The monsters were in your face....
And there you were, with a puny pistol. Almost no room to move, in the back of a collapsed truck.
I liked the level though. Except I can't remember how to activate the cyberdemon ...

You walk up this invisible stairway, it's marked with candles. Then you enter an octagonal room iirc, and there's a "floating" cyberdemon in the middle. Naturally Cybie is standing on a platform and he can't "see" you. You need to activate something to lower the platform etc etc.. but I can't remember what exactly.

Ah well, I'll play it again one of these days. When it's less warm. I'm hardly on the pc now anyway.

Fun level though UAC_dead.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
NeoNite said:
Uac_dead...

Yeah I remember this one. Definitely one of my favorites. There's also one called Apocalypse or something like that.

Also, Memento Mori...

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
yeah jackhammers, thats high tech too...
Chaser said:
If you played the game, they say those chainsaws were a mistake and mars was supposed to recieve a shipment of jackhammers i believe, but got the beavertooth chainsaws instead.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I'm so glad people recognise the level :O)

Yeah apocalypse is a .. 9-10 level wad. One of the final levels is HUGE. it's basically a huge cave, and it's a damn long drop...
There are archviles on the walkways (what an idea)

Fava beans.. hehe also rings a bell.

Remember leges for example?
And gangta.
Weird level really, but the cyberdemon fight was fun .. sometimes.

PimP was a deathmatch megawad. It had some weird custom sounds included.

Ever tried "Oasis of death"? Supposed to be co-op only, but it's no trouble in single player. Fun level!

Spacelab, altier6...
Quite fun as well.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Rodzilla said:
It's a remake of Doom. Not only that, but the reason alt-fire works in UT so well is because of the type of game this is. What's the alt-fire on a shotgun for a marine in a space station? Or alt-fire on a machine gun? Ok, maybe they could've let you throw the pistol at the demons when you're out of ammo, but really...and all the other guns are basically experimental prototypes in the game.
alt-fire ?
Let's see :
= changing firemode for the machinegun (single shot / burst / auto) ...

= melee-attack ... pretty useful when there's a demon in front of your face and switching weapons would be too slow

= for a double-barreled shotgun : fire either barrel by pressing the corresponding mouse-button

granted ... it's not much, but it sure as hell beats having nothing at all.

// darkness of the levels
IIRC one of the early level-design faqs I've seen (it might even have been for Doom ...) said something like that a dark level wasn't scary, but a single dark room was ...

I definitely get the impression that the darkness isn't there because of the 'suspense', but because of limits set by the hardware or engine itself.

first of all, why would this guy think having nightvision would make the game better? that would ruin the feel. and second of all, unlike this pasty dork, most of us play games for fun, not as a job. who thinks up stupid questions like this over a video game?
Why doesn't the game offer an explanation for the lack of night-goggles, weapons with flashlights ?
It apparently does attempt to offer one for the chainsaws ...
*that* is the question that needs to be answered. And if the only answer is 'because Id says so' then I really wonder why they even bothered with the rest of the 'background' and fluff in the game.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
I love the little spider-like robot at the beginning that shows you the way
to Marine HQ. He keeps looking back to make sure you are following, and if
you stop, he stops and looks back at you and starts making noise, and if you get
out of his sight he comes and finds you. Pretty clever bit AI programming.

I also like one "trap" where you go into semi-dark nook to pick up health or
ammo, and a Zombie comes out at you and you blast him only to jumped from behind
by an Imp. Clever map making there. My only complaint so far is that the early
maps are pretty tight; not a lot of maneuvering room.

I don't know about you guys, but on my Radeon 9700 Pro, the menu text is nearly
unreadable at all resolutions. Poor bit of UI programming, IMHO. I'm also having
occasional problems with the game crashing to the desktop. IT appears to be Video
Card related (1024X768, default High settings). I hope this improves when I get
my Radeon X800 XT (Friggen back-orders!).

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Seems the Menu problem was a driver problem. Let's
hope the driver update also fixes the crashing.

Before.jpg

Before Doom³ inhanced ATI CATALYST 4.9 driver installation.

After.jpg

After Doom³ inhanced ATI CATALYST 4.9 driver installation.

Rodzilla

PuF Fossil
LOL. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but....

I also like one "trap" where you go into semi-dark nook to pick up health or
ammo, and a Zombie comes out at you and you blast him only to jumped from behind
by an Imp. Clever map making there.

Yea, it's clever map making...for maybe the first 5 times. After the 30th time it's just damned annoying as you find yourself in situations where no matter how well you play it, you lose unnecessary health.

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
The lack of tactical lights on the guns is a fairly valid point. Since the whole place has allegedly been having frequent power outages for some time now, you would think they would have added tactical lights to all of their issue weapons.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Doom 3 to me seemed like a big experiment that worked. John Camark wanted to see what you could really do with lightning effects and how they effect gameplay and how graphics can make a game world more immersive, real, and fun to play in. In my opinion this little experiment was a outstanding success. I imagine more games are going to come out like doom 3, and they are going to improve upon what Doom 3 tried.

Romulan

Holding on
Jun 4, 2004
home.fuse.net
Lizard Of Oz said:
Seems the Menu problem was a driver problem.

When I was experimenting with tweaking the cvars after I bought the game, I set image_downSizeLimit to 128 and my menus looked much the same.