UT3 Patch 2.0 Beta 1 Released To Testers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Menu looks good, but what the hell are Speed Tree Fronds? Are they adding useless junk to make you think you are making the game look better?
They're related to the SpeedTree technology, which is what creates a good deal of the foliage you see in some UT3 Maps. Turning that off will make things a bit faster, but less realistic.
When options are changed, is a restart of the game required before they will take effect?
For most of them, no, but some might. The game will tell you if you need to restart for your changes to work.
I'd look into that.. Im not a noob and there definitly a bug there. I tested Dreary lots and they defintly react slowly when the bots at a defecne point.. hence I have a personal version of dreay that does not have defence points and they are fine.
It might be possible that you have to point the Defense Point in a certain direction, the direction they should be watching... have you tried that?

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
It might be possible that you have to point the Defense Point in a certain direction, the direction they should be watching... have you tried that?

haha yip.. trust me I know what im doing there :)
in the community version of dreary they are pointing right at the door to the flag room.. so yes they are orientated... and have not been transfomed accros any axes (X = 1.000 / Y = 1.000 / Z = 1.000)

Im 100% positive its a bug - Im not using defence points untill its fix.. they defend at path nodes fine, but react slow if at a defence point which are usfull for telling bots where to defend EG sniper towers - I really want this fix for my next map.. it would benifit from the use of defence points but im not gdoing to use them with how it is now.

If you guys can pass that on to epic I would MUCH appretiate it.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
hm... Defense points suck? Thats good to know for my next map...
Yeh thats one way to put it.. for me as a bot player.. THEY SUCK, and Iv taken them out of my maps (atleast for myself untill its fixed) BUT bots seem to be programed to defend nere the flag at path nodes.. like In coret.. coret does not have any defence points.. perhaps the mapper saw the flaw with defence points ??! who knoes but dreay suffers due to this big time.. you can run in and out of the base and the bot wont try stopping you.. so the bots will have to see you for some time for the defence point to be any good such as outside maps but they suck indoors.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
I'm not quite sure what to think about the reskinned UI. I'm more interested in the vote menu and bug fixing though. I think I could live with the old ut3 menu, but the current voting menu is severely lacking when compared to other multiplayer games.

EvilEngine

GodMode
Mar 31, 2003
www.evilengine.net
A little something that character mod authors should know. Your gonna have to redo ALL of your character's faction selection screens because the black background will look funky if you used any red where theres supposed to be transparency. I wish Epic would have worked with mod authors before doing this. It upsets me because now I have to go back and redo everything I have done before just so it fits this generic looking color scheme. Also guys be careful of trying to download these beta's and using them, you may end up screwing with UT3. I had to do a reinstall of the game a few times trying these recent betas, as they crash alot of features like OPENAL.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Does this mean the scrolling level in the background is gone now? Yay! Now I won't crash on the Menu anymore! My Nvidia 6200 crashes a lot when I play on the extremely detailed stock UT3 maps but not on the HOLP map pack. Unfortunately the 3D level in the background of the UT3 menu causes me to crash before even selecting the HOLP level I want. If it wasn't there, I would not crash on the Menu.

I'm getting an ATI 4800 series card in the future, though, but I still want to be able to play UT3 until then.
It's still there but there's a remade frontend that is only 647kb, it may be hosted here, I'm not sure.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Menu looks good, but what the hell are Speed Tree Fronds? Are they adding useless junk to make you think you are making the game look better?

These features are already in the game, you just have less control over them. They let you turn them off, now.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'm still amazed at how quickly you 180'd about the state of this game in the course of a month.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
The carbon fiber screams marquee tool with a black to gray gradient. The color scheme is near perfect, and I'm scratching my head as to how that passed quality control? Carbon fiber there is a great idea, but like with all art implementation is everything. Please fix. It kinda looks like some sort of dyed basket. :/

One more thing. I sincerely hope you can simply right click a server in the browser and "add to favorites", "spectate" and all the other options at the bottom. I don't remember that being in the original UI, though it's been a while could be wrong. Not having that there just kinda screams, CONSOLE!

Overall a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

AKWolf

Feb 3, 2008
SoCal
Is having graphics setting maxed out in v2.0 the same as having the sliders all at at level 5 in v1.3 ?