Cloak & Dagger.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
alright children, do some quick testing on the Cloak & Dagger for me before it goes public. Leave feedback & junk. Download link's at the bopttom of this post.

SplitKnifeyGrass.jpg

Code:
//=============================================================================
// Kang Weapons Pack r1
// for: UT2004 retail version.
// Author: Kangus (kangus@planetunreal.com
// Homepage: [url]http://WoD.BeyondUnreal.com[/url]

/* Installation */

Unzip KangWeaps1.u and KangWeaps1.ucl into your UT2004\System folder.
  Unzip KangWeaps1.utx into your UT2004\Textures folder.
  Unzip KangWeap1anim.ukx into your UT2004\Animations folder.

/* Current Weapons */

...right, so there's only one freakin weapon in the pack right now. Be patient. More will come soon.

<Cloak & Dagger>
"The CnD-15 Covert Infiltration Blade uses nanite technology to allow an assassin to get in, 
kill and then get out unseen. Due to a defect in the current line, 
if a user attacks while cloaked, their battery will suffer a significant drain."
	Primary: Draw back the blade and stab on release/contact.
	Alt: Hold to activate the cloaking device.

Attachments

• KangWeapB1.zip
    64.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

Stephan "Gobi"

Nov 22, 2002
Germany
Hi Kangus,
tested your weapon offline yesterday, not bad btw like the cloaking ;) !
Maybe you should speed up the chargetime a bit , slightly increase damageamount and scale the weapon down a bit. In my opinion you need a new really nice chargeeffect and change the values of PlayerViewOffset, it should be a bit lower in the 1st person view.

Think that's enough criticism for now, keep up your excellent work!

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
yes, I certainly need to add a new charge effect... and I'll mess around a bit with the scaling and positioning before next release. I never even bothered checking to see how it looks in non small weapons view.
The damage amount should be fine, as the damage type ignores shields, and does a max of 150, min of I think 40.... I may speed up the charge time though.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
It works on Invasion monsters, sort of. I stood in front of a Krall who was standing at attention with its staff in its hand, looking like a statue like they do. After about five seconds, it fired at me despite the fact I didn't decloak.

It works better, but not 100% yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
Nemephosis said:
It works on Invasion monsters, sort of. I stood in front of a Krall who was standing at attention with its staff in its hand, looking like a statue like they do. After about five seconds, it fired at me despite the fact I didn't decloak.

It works better, but not 100% yet.
Nem, its not supposed to make you fully invisible to monsters and bots at all times.... you stand right in front of anything for more than a millisecond, its damn well gonna see you.... going much beyond that would be a royal pain. be greatful I added code back in that allows you a chance to lose a bot while still in its view (the chance being related to distance)

maybe one day I'll figure out supercloaking...

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
You can lose bots while they're right there? I've never noticed, usually what happens is I cloak and it works fine (they never see me) but when I attack with the knife and it makes sound, they'll know where I am at all times as if I weren't cloaked even if I get out of their LOS. To hide again I have to let go of the cloak button and then re-cloak out of their LOS again.

It's goos though, you can finally hide from the monsters, more or less. It's good for getting the hell out of there while you go restock on ammo and stuff.

Warm Pudgy

null
Feb 18, 2001
i had a problem with it
when i was playing ONS i couldnt switch weapons with the mouse wheel
it would just switch back and forth between the shield gun and the knife
i could use the number buttons to switch though

edit: anyone know if theres a way to use the original invisibility from unreal1?

with the first one you would be completely invisible but when you shot, you would become visible for an instant

Last edited:

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
To the AI you were only completely invisible until you shot... once. Then you were just as visible as if you hadnt picked up the powerup. Kang - Dont destroy() inventory outright, it screws up the inventory chain. ;)

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
...um... suggestion. And wondering if anyone has thought of this previously; I'm new here.

Why not make a ton of seperate weapons that can just be added into a game via something like switcharsenal or Worms2k? I've downloaded a ton of weapon mods, but I always get stuck with a few I love among a ton of ones that generally aren't all that great.

Anyway. On to the dagger.

The idea seems promising (haven't downloaded it yet) but holding alt-fire to cloak seems... tedious. Perhaps have it toggle, or just have it permanently cloaked and make alit-fire something else?

Either way, limiting the cloaking might be a good idea.. like... have a recharging meter thing for the cloaking, to balance it a little. I'm thinking something along the Cloaking pack from Tribes 2.

And. Maybe (if cloaking is unlimited, and default), you're only cloaked when you're not moving? Like.... standing completely still, you'd be perfectly invisible (totally). Crouching would make you a little visible (like the invisiblility combo) and basicly any other movement would render you completely visible.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Solace, many mods used to be just an load of weapons. However now most try to have more substance then just that, but in doing so, they have limited the end users options.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
Solace, the cloaking IS limited. You only have so much charge. Sure it recharges over time, but you cannot stay cloaked. have you used the thing? Second, since its a melee weapon, only cloaking while standing stillis ratehr useless. Third, I prefer holding down the alt fire to cloak, and I don't see why its that big a problem... would you rather the normal shield gun's shield be toggle? because thats more or less the same thing.

Last edited:

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
Kangus said:
...would you rather the normal shield gun's shield be toggle? because thats more or less the same thing.

...Ah. That makes sense.

...okaynowIfeellikeadork. ^^; Sorry.