Do u dare to install SP2 for Win XP??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Uh I don't feel like I need it and I don't know what tt'll do so I'll wait 'til my friends get it and can tell why I should get it :p.

My english sentances is a work of art....

IAS|Spiff

Jan 22, 2004
zombiewoof said:
What the **** would I want xp for anyway? Yikes ! 2000 is the only stable thing MS has made yet! If only linux worked with all my ****....

Well, my Win XP, with SP1 work's great...nothing to complain about.. :D

And i think i will wait some day's or week's before i install SP2....

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Yes, more games in XP!

And doesn't SP2 basically just roll all the Windows Updates I've dl'd already into 1 package? I guess they also upgraded the firewall, but is there anything else?

washuu

A Lazy XMP Beta Tester
Oct 18, 2003
Minnesota
www.washuu.org
Do not download SP2 - It's for the good of your computer.

You WILL get compatbility issues with programs you have. You will probably also get issues in general. Plus the fact it will use more computer resources. The main goal of this is security, and if you just keep your eyes open, YOU SHOULD NEVER NEED FIREWALL OR ANTI-VIRUS ON A PERSONAL COMPUTER. You are not a server of some sort for a company, no one wants to target you as an individual. Just don't open any emails you don't know the source from, and if it has an attachment, and the author didn't write anything about there being one, don't touch it!

- Anti-Virus, Firewall, and Virus free since this baby first powered up.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
washuu said:
Do not download SP2 - It's for the good of your computer.
- Anti-Virus, Firewall, and Virus free since this baby first powered up.

I take it that you have never LANed. ;)

I send a virus to Washuu, through his XMP game port........JK

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I got it, and i haft to say that the firewall is rather decent, it does ask about any app or process that tries to ask for internet access or should i say attempts to access the net, and i have had no difference in gameplay, so i say that this is a good patch going hte right way.

Stoneblind

/\°§pèçtré
Mar 18, 2004
www.clanalpha.net
I downloaed and installed it as soon as I saw it on Guru 3D; long installation process on my computer, and when it was done, everything seemed to work just fine; I heard it was all security related benefits from what I read in newspapers and whatnot; didn't even seem to affect my performance at all in away visible way; works just fine to me, I would say go give it a shot; it creates backups and uninstallation stuff, so you can always go back to SP1, I think. No problems here; I'll post when I get some problems; the only thing significant that has happened was, when I finished XMP, there was a notification on the screen that said that the SP2 firewall protection pointed XMP and it's connection with the internet and whatnot, so I just clicked on "unblock" so it won't block off anything in XMP. Nothing big, from what I saw.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Exactly when does installation end? Oh wait, there, finally. Great, now the internet is blocked for being dangerous, I can't play games because they could contain violence, and all non-microsoft programs (open office, mozilla, firefox, gimp, etc.) have been deleted along with my sound card for not complying with microsoft quality standards. IM programs except for MS messenger were also deleted because I could get a virus in an attachment...funny how it skipped MSM. I'm seeing a huge decrease in performance too but all the icons in control panel are greyed out because I don't have "super intelligent administrator person" access. Msconfig and others are also locked out because microsoft thinks I'm too stupid to control my own comp. I keep getting this little annoying popup notification (which was disabled months ago) about how I don't know what I'm doing and my clock time keeps setting to west coast time. :( Finally, all my favorite games don't run because they're incompatable. I can't belie---OMG....blue screen with a white text memory dump. 0_o Now my comp won't start back up!!!

The above is not true...entirely. SP1 severely f*ed up my desktop comp a year ago to where I had to reformat. Don't ask me what happened because I don't know. The next install went fine. Maybe I'll get SP2 next year after I find out exactly what chaos is has caused and if they'll fix the next huge hole that SP2 was supposed to fix. Gotta give MS credit for updates, but your OS is like swiss cheese. :tdown: I don't want a software firewall or any of that other security junk. It just further contributes to the dumbing down of internet users. :(

[DCSB]Mouse

Apr 10, 2004
On the note of *cough* backuped up *cough* xp users,
a thing from microsoft was released saying sp2 would still support the less legal copies of p, due to the fact that a unpatched machines a far more dangerous to the world than them losing some lose change .... i'll dig out the thing and post a link later...

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
lol... i know this much, the only thing that happened to my pc after the update is a small performance hit in my normal account i use for gamming, but when i a switched to my backup one i noticed a huge improvement, i guess i need to have more ram in my box or a better video card... but i do haft to say that some apps work a lot better with it, or with no problems afterwards.

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
I'll probably give it a go when the "small" version of the download appears. My comp's in a relatively clean state having reformatted about 3 weeks ago, so it should run without any hitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.