Help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zimw00t

Apr 21, 2010
I've learned a valuable leason today.
The internet is full of tons of useless information pertaining to things similar to what you want to know. But if you EVER need help with a specific problem, googling it will get you nowhere. You will get nothing but off topic forum's and wiki's full of useless information. So I've decided to ask real people.

I simply want to create a server for Unreal Tournament (99) that my friend can join over the internet. I have tried to create network games on the internet, but they always end up being LAN. I don't want to make a dedicated server, and i don't care about intricate code editing, i just want a simple online server.

Can somebody tell me how to do so in PLAIN ENGLISH. I am no simpleton, but all the technical talk on the internet is really pissing me off. I just want a simple step by step process.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Since you want your friend joining over the Internet, you will need to start a dedicated server. It's a common misconception: a dedicated server is not necessarily a standalone program - you can launch one from your current UT installation; a dedicated server doesn't mean that you can't play on it yourself. You can do that, just launch a new game window.
You could also use a listen server, but they are optimised for LAN play rather than online.

Anyway, the real question right now is whether or not you're using a router. If you are, then you will need to forward your ports. See this: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

zimw00t

Apr 21, 2010
ok, but my real question was, what exactly is it that determines whether the game will be internet, or lan. I've tried running dedicated servers before, and it would still show up as lan.

zimw00t

Apr 21, 2010
ok nvm, ive gotten it to work, kind of.

and ive found the problem, i think.

when the server trys to start up it says this

"Log: AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host master.mplayer.com (WSANO_DATA)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.
>"

what now?

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
ok, but my real question was, what exactly is it that determines whether the game will be internet, or lan. I've tried running dedicated servers before, and it would still show up as lan.
If you mean you launched a dedicated server and then joined your own, well yeah, it will show up under LAN games because it's hosted on the same machine (as local of a network as it gets). This is normal.

Open UT, press tab, type "preferences," go to Networking, then Master Server Uplink, and be sure that DoUplink is True. This should be by default, but sometimes it isn't, and that prevents people from seeing your game in the server browser (and probably from connecting to it at all outside of a local network).

I'm not sure what's the deal with that error message. Someone with more UT networking knowledge should know what's up with that.

Also, I find it just a teeny bit ironic you complain about Google not giving accurate results, and then you post a thread with the most vague and generic title possible. ;) Descriptive text is how things like Google can actually return good results; if your question isn't descriptive in the thread title, it won't help anyone out. Just for future reference.

Since you want your friend joining over the Internet, you will need to start a dedicated server. (...) You could also use a listen server, but they are optimised for LAN play rather than online.
Err, what makes you say that? I've hosted listen servers before that people were able to join over the internet. You don't need to host a dedicated server just to get a server up period.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
"Log: AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host master.mplayer.com (WSANO_DATA)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.
>"
This means that you're trying to connect to master.mplayer.com, which doesn't exist any more. Just delete that entry from your INI.

Err, what makes you say that? I've hosted listen servers before that people were able to join over the internet. You don't need to host a dedicated server just to get a server up period.

Yes, of course, I'm just saying that they are optimised for LAN, and with dedicated servers it's easier since you don't have to constantly be in the game to have your server running. And Listen servers give a small advantage to the host since he has 0 ping, while in local netgames he would have a low, but existent ping.