Who Made XMP (or Funny ReadMes)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
So, anyone know who exactly made U2XMP? Legend, but who was responsible for what? And who created each of the maps? This info could be quite interesting and useful for our Liandri Archives...

And also, anyone read the XMP readme? Of course you didn't (why don't people ever read that type of documents lol), so you don't know that a lot of interesting stuff is in it :)

Let me give you a quote:
5.1 Colorizing Your Name
------------------------

Want to add a dash of color to set yourself apart from the rest of your fellow
teammates? Here's how you do it.

1. Hit Esc, bring up the "Options" menu, and go to "Game". Click in the text field at the top of the screen where your name is displayed.

2. Hit the ^ key (Shift-6), followed by the # key (Shift-3).

3. Hold down the Right Alt Key, and while holding it down, enter a three-digit number on the keypad on the right side of your keyboard. For a list of colors, please see http://www.legendent.com/downloads/XMPColors.txt. For a visual list, please see http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/colors.html. When you've finished entering the number, release the Right Alt key.

4. Hit the Enter key to finish.

And don't worry, you'll still be able to tell who's on what team. For chat and death messages, names which are colorized have brackets around them, colored to match their team.

Some of you probably knew that already, but still interesting that this is in the official documentation :) Another quote:

5.2 The flamethrower, and how to use it
---------------------------------------

The flamethrower is a much more deadly and versatile weapon in the world of U2XMP than it was in the hands of John Dalton, TCA Marshal.

The primary fire hasn't changed, but the alt-fire is different. Just lay down a spray of unignited napalm, and anyone unlucky enough to walk across it will get quite a surprise.

Plus, the Gunner may pack a heavy punch, but in a low-gravity environment like FreeFall, he's at a definite disadvantage due to his slow movement speed and low jump height.

To counteract this, simply use the flamethrower to rocket yourself across the map. Simply jump in the air, point the flamethrower down and away from where you want to go, and let 'er rip. You'll be at the enemy's artifact node in no time.
Anyone know if this still works in FreeFall without AsteroidGame? Also, interesting that this isn't a but, but actually a (quite random) feature :) Another quote:
5.3 Concussion jumping
----------------------

There's a reason why the bulk of the combatants in XMP stay reasonably close to the ground: that's where all the action is. But if you want to get a bird's eye view of the action, you can try something that's pretty risky: Concussion jumping.

Just fire a concussion grenade at your feet, and jump when it explodes. You'll probably be a little woozy, a little blind, and a lot hurt, but it's possible.
This again confirms that behindviewing is illegal :p Another quote (this one's good):
5.4 Laser tripmines
--------------------

Just a quick reminder here. When you want to place a laser tripmine on the wall, make sure it's got another wall (or rock, or Harbinger) to which it can "attach". Otherwise, you won't be able to place it at all.
:lol: Harbinger! ROFLMAO!!
...and so on. Read Legend's ReadMes and code comments people ;)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
By the way, anyone tried WayBackMachineing Legend's and Unreal II's websites? Like:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010405022423/www.unreal2.com/faq.html
Q. What is a "sea goat"?

A. Unfortunately, no one can be...told what the seagoat is. You have to see it for yourself.
ROFLMAO!!

Also, reading reviews is fun too. Like:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/446/446599p2.html
It's not clear yet what support Legend will provide for user-created XMP maps and modifications, which would obviously help the longevity of the game.
None, instead they provided self-support. :D

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
I don't have the Special Edition of Unreal II, which includes XMP. It's manual should include the Credits for XMP. However I do have a copy of the XBox version, which does have it in the manual:

Unreal II: XMP
Legend Entertainment

Design
Scott Dalton
Designer

Tech
Aaron Leiby
Tech Lead / Weapons
Mike Baldwin
Game Programmer
Peter Carlson
Vehicles / Turrets
Mike Fox
Additional Programming
Mark Poesch
Technical Advisor

Art
Robert Wisnewski
Environmental Lead
Hugh Riley
Character Lead / Animation
Jay Hawkins
Concepts
Louis Lu
Characters / Models / Textures
Travis Doggett
Vehicles / Models / Textures
Marc Tetreault
Textures / Models
Ted Warnock
Additional Animation
Dawid Michalczyk
Concepts / Models
Matthias Worch
Additional Models
Scott Dalton
Special Effects

Level Design
Grayson Edge
Garden / Sunset Beach
James Parkman
Lowlands / Na Koja Abad
Scott Dalton
Rampant / FreeFall / Sirocco

Production
Bob Bates
Executive Producer
Grant Roberts
Producer

Sound
Grant Roberts
Sound Effects

Quality Assurance
Craig Lafferty
QA Manager

Information Systems
Buane Beck
MIS Manager

Administration
Rosie Freeman
Office Manager / Extra Special Thanks!

Epic Games
Cliff Bleszinski
Executive Producer
Erik De Neve
James Golding
Warren Marshall
Steve Polge
Jack Porter
Andrew Scheidecker
Tim Sweeney
Daniel Vogel
Joe Wilcox
Engine Programming
Mark Rein
Jay Wilbur
Biz
Anne Dube
Office Manager

Special Thanks
Special thanks to the entire Unreal2 team!
...to everyone at BeyondUnreal for their support
...to all our beta testers who helped make XMP great

BTW yes I read the readme, and I RTFM, and I go through the tutorial. For every program that has them.

LowGravMutator does everything that AsteroidGame did, which is not much at all (no fall damage and always mantle and nothing else). The gameplay of FreeFall is not affected at all by the switch.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Level Design
Grayson Edge
Garden / Sunset Beach
James Parkman
Lowlands / Na Koja Abad
Scott Dalton
Rampant / FreeFall / Sirocco
Thanks! Will be useful!

And what do you mean, always mantle? You always mantle where possible anyway?

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Not too sure about that either... Try to read the code there, just a few lines in LowGravMutator.

BTW I noticed Alcazar is missing from the Credits, not sure if that's just XBox (haven't gotten a chance to try it yet). Some of the maps have the author name in level properties too.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hmm, looks like it enables you to mantle while falling. But can't you mantle while falling anyway?
Remember one time when I jumped off the hill at WonderWoods to get on top of my node, missed a bit, my Tech tried to mantle, but after playing the mantling sound it played the MantleHurt sound and fell off.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
In alpha asteroid map you could climb constantly these asteroids, like hitting mantle and it continues climbing all the way up, also other maps and surfaces, its like wall climbing more.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Ahh, that explains a lot. Wonder why the code here is broken. But actually, you can make it work map-side: add a huge LadderVolume around each asteroid and you will be able to climb it.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Gosh that brings back memories... In my early modding days, I once made a Quake 2 mod where ALL surfaces were treated as if they were ladders. It was just a few lines of code, OR'ing the ladder surface flag with a 1...

The result? Everyone was like Spiderman!

I should've combined it with a grappling hook... like the one in Lithium...