3Dbuzz top 10 finalist so far

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
A game is something you play (typically). Each game tends to have it's own single, or primary, playstyle, else every game would appear the same. The main acception to this is that many games can be played in multiple ways, Halo is an example. In a game such as halo you can play it as a vehicle based games (excluding some maps), a sniper/stealth game, or a run and gun "not one step backwards" play style (these are merely examples). All the same though, the title has it's variable play style for a particular audience. UT3 also has it's quirky game styles that are different due to the many things I listed previously. If you take all of these aspects, features, stories, concepts, and ideas and add them together you get the total of what the game is. So therefore 2+2=4, but also what you seem to have missed is that 4=2+2. The game is the sum of the individual parts (though synergy is also not too uncommon), and in a similar way, the individual parts equal the game when summed. Therefore the idividual parts (though not the game) can be the game when viewed as one. Taking every aspect of the game into account is required. If you say one game is the same as another game because of similar features (though not all of the features being the same) it is essentially saying 2(one value from UT3)=2(similar values)=1(a value which is smaller because of lesser similarity as is found in this example). This equation is quite flawed. Please be so kind as to correct it.

EDIT: What I missed there was that the equation is impossible, it is 2/0=4, impossible. Why? Because the variables are apples and oranges which clearly are not the same though their values can be compared.

Reading the thread could help:
There is no hidding stealth in MLG
THere is no vehicle in MLG
The maps played during MLG suits to a competitive style

Your post is quite flawed...
You start with a Battle Rifle the same way you start with an Enforcer.

There is a difference between Halo matchmaking and Halo MLG (Major League Gaming).

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The difference is that every facet of the gameplay is entirely different.

The weapons damages are different.
The movement style is different.
The maps are different (they are geared toward the more floaty, flat gameplay).
The hit detection is geared differently (mostly hitscan compared to mostly projectile).
The actual method of play is different (controller based as opposed to kb/m).

I could go on but I'm sure you'll misread this post because of your lack of knowledge of English, and come up with some response that makes no sense and is completely unrelated.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Originally Posted by Hyrage
Your post is quite flawed...

... as I myself stated. However it is you, not I that has missed something substatial here. Vehicles and stealth gameplay are not the only things I said, now are they? Why, no they aren't. Because one game is competitive doesn't mean that another game that is also competitive is the same game or has the same gameplay elemements (though there may be some similarities). What I posted was a mathematical look at something that has been looked at from an artistic stand point. Yes the math is quite flawed as it is all variable and it can't be compared due to apples and oranges.

I don't like it that you assume I haven't been reading the thread. Unfortunately though, this topic has become so skewed that I'm not even so sure as to how it came this far.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
The difference is that every facet of the gameplay is entirely different.

The weapons damages are different.
The movement style is different.
The maps are different (they are geared toward the more floaty, flat gameplay).
The hit detection is geared differently (mostly hitscan compared to mostly projectile).
The actual method of play is different (controller based as opposed to kb/m).

I could go on but I'm sure you'll misread this post because of your lack of knowledge of English, and come up with some response that makes no sense and is completely unrelated.
I totally agree,
Unfortunately, we weren't arguing on the weapon system (what directly includes Health System), but the goal of both games are the same.

Yes the character movement, gravity and all that stuff isn't the same because one is Halo and the other is UT, but you must do the same objectives to win.

Compare Quake and UT, it's the same situation.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Well let me refresh your memory:

Dude go play Halo MLG style and it's exactly like:
Timing the weapons, the overshield, and all the stuff... it is key in competitive play. (goals of the game)

Fortunately, UT3 has more interesting character movements. (gameplays)

------------
Lynx, I agree, but you could add stuff on the edge in many areas or thin walls, but only doing that in one area could add style, but wouln't make sense if the other areas aren't retouched so... The map is fine with his actual style.

How many of us are on the next contest?

I think agreement would be more accurate.

Again though Hyrage, halo doesn't have the same gameplay. (Well, I think it's a logical fact if we are comparing two games, don't you think?)

So what do you have to do to win in UT and what do you have to do to win in Halo?
C'mon tell me...

Last edited:

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
I totally agree,
Unfortunately, we weren't arguing on the weapon system

Timing the weapons, the overshield, and all the stuff... it is key in competitive play

Weapon attributes relate directly to objectives and goals. If there is only one rocket launcher in the game and eveything else is a form of sub machine gun, then that rocket is the goal of the game. If the weapons are all completely different and relatively equally balanced with a few that are powerful but have slow reload rate or projectile velocity and some that have high rate of fire and projectile velocity but do little damage, it matters.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So what do you have to do to win in UT and what do you have to do to win in Halo?
You have to exploit the elements of the gameplay to the most efficient way possible in order to win.

I'm guessing that the answer you were looking for was "Shoot people and score points" which is wrong.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
You have to exploit the elements of the gameplay to the most efficient way possible in order to win.

I'm guessing that the answer you were looking for was "Shoot people and score points" which is wrong.
Well that was a great answer, but does Gameplay includes overthinking and take advantage of the areas to build a better denfense?
And always see your friends in your screen...

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Sigh. i bet if i put Hyrage in a blender, i'd end up with a full glass of dumbjuice.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Sarcasm included

Dear Hyrage,

Since everyone here wishes every community member to succeed at what they do, they have been giving you some good advice. Allow me to give you a list of steps and keywords that may help you in your quest to understand the nuances and ideals within UT3 (and dare I say, any UT game) level design and how to improve and achieve your goals of making a good and well respected level.

Step 1: Install UT3 and it's patches.
Step 2: Download maps that can be found with the following keywords: Slainchild, Plutonic, Luv_Studd, HOLP, XYZ8000, KaMi, Neoduck.
Step 3: Play these maps for 8 hours straight, minimum, against bots, against average UT players and against top UT players.
Step 4: Make sure you have a notepad and pens with you so you can make notes on WHY the levels work so well.
Step 5: Believe that these maps you're playing are the embodiment of good gameplay in UT games.
Step 6: This one is optional. Choose to learn and apply what you have learned in future levels.

It's not really hard to try and compare games based solely on their goals. It's also not very hard to figure out that DM, or DeathMatch, has the same goal for basically any game that has this multiplayer mode in!
Just because Halo and UT both have DeathMatch, and through some miracle in both games DeathMatch requires you to kill the opponent while trying to not get killed yourself (pro players prefer the term frag, btw) and effectively locking down a layout by picking up weapons etc before your enemy can, it doesn't mean that the 2 games are instantly comparable.
The initial difference is that Halo is a console oriented game, whereas UT is a PC oriented game. This difference can be experienced the following way:
Take the UT3 for PC, cook it for PS3 without movement alterations etc, and it becomes very different to play.
Now, a more reasonable comparison would be UT and Quake. Why? Aside from the DeathMatch rules both games are initially PC oriented, fast paced and centered around multiplayer using a variety of bullet and non-bullet weapons.

One last bit of advice, which is basically just re-stating what others have told you:
Try and humble yourself a bit. If your website is up to date, you are 22 years of age, and it can safely be said that Plutonic - the guy who made Marauder - has been making levels since you started secondary education. Experience isn't everything, but it's not a wise move to go and criticize other guys' levels who have been in the game, and well respected at that, for a decade and who most definitely know what they're talking about when UT (be it UT99, 2k4 or 3) is concerned.
Perhaps it's your English, but you do come across as very condescending (much like I probably am in this post), requiring listed evidence for every single point being made by others. I hope that you do find your way in here and fit to the community, rather than trying to make the community fit you.

(if you take offense, please send me a PM and if you're right I'll gladly edit my post)

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
The real question is: 'How do you have to win in UT and how do you have to win in Halo?'
[Edit: Sjosz explained it in a better way ^^ :)]

So do you have any documentation, tricks or else that could help me?
This should be enough:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2160040&postcount=117
and in general:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=178714
Man we're so unhelpful... :p

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Dear Hyrage,

Since everyone here wishes every community member to succeed at what they do, they have been giving you some good advice. Allow me to give you a list of steps and keywords that may help you in your quest to understand the nuances and ideals within UT3 (and dare I say, any UT game) level design and how to improve and achieve your goals of making a good and well respected level.

Step 1: Install UT3 and it's patches.
Step 2: Download maps that can be found with the following keywords: Slainchild, Plutonic, Luv_Studd, HOLP, XYZ8000, KaMi, Neoduck.
Step 3: Play these maps for 8 hours straight, minimum, against bots, against average UT players and against top UT players.
Step 4: Make sure you have a notepad and pens with you so you can make notes on WHY the levels work so well.
Step 5: Believe that these maps you're playing are the embodiment of good gameplay in UT games.
Step 6: This one is optional. Choose to learn and apply what you have learned in future levels.

It's not really hard to try and compare games based solely on their goals. It's also not very hard to figure out that DM, or DeathMatch, has the same goal for basically any game that has this multiplayer mode in!
Just because Halo and UT both have DeathMatch, and through some miracle in both games DeathMatch requires you to kill the opponent while trying to not get killed yourself (pro players prefer the term frag, btw) and effectively locking down a layout by picking up weapons etc before your enemy can, it doesn't mean that the 2 games are instantly comparable.
The initial difference is that Halo is a console oriented game, whereas UT is a PC oriented game. This difference can be experienced the following way:
Take the UT3 for PC, cook it for PS3 without movement alterations etc, and it becomes very different to play.
Now, a more reasonable comparison would be UT and Quake. Why? Aside from the DeathMatch rules both games are initially PC oriented, fast paced and centered around multiplayer using a variety of bullet and non-bullet weapons.

One last bit of advice, which is basically just re-stating what others have told you:
Try and humble yourself a bit. If your website is up to date, you are 22 years of age, and it can safely be said that Plutonic - the guy who made Marauder - has been making levels since you started secondary education. Experience isn't everything, but it's not a wise move to go and criticize other guys' levels who have been in the game, and well respected at that, for a decade and who most definitely know what they're talking about when UT (be it UT99, 2k4 or 3) is concerned.
Perhaps it's your English, but you do come across as very condescending (much like I probably am in this post), requiring listed evidence for every single point being made by others. I hope that you do find your way in here and fit to the community, rather than trying to make the community fit you.

(if you take offense, please send me a PM and if you're right I'll gladly edit my post)

I played a few hours in DM-Acquisition at Godlike with 12 bots. LOL, there is always that bastard (kidding) behind the boxe near the snipe pickup that get be at the stinger and sometimes at the top near the Armor.

Rough times, but I could get the second place once... never been able to get a first place :mad:... Godlike is really tough... I usually can't go above 3rd and 4th.

Thumbs up for the map Slainchild, the map is a blast to play. The theme reminds me Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay when you have to kick Abbott's ass (Xzibit). :lol:

Last edited: