Voice chat???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
ok... in ut2004 voice chat is automaticly eneabled from within ut2004, so you can chat without using an outside program as far as i know. so far i have not been able to do the same in utmxp. dont know how hard it would be to change that but it ouwld be cool to chat witout having to use yahoo n such. will/can that be changed?

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
theomniproject said:
but it ouwld be cool to chat witout having to use yahoo n such
:eek2: :rolleyes:

go teamspeak. not sure about you, but i prefer to listen and talk to people i know instead of all people in a game, a 'feature' that really asks for being abused be a lamer. sometimes even textspam becomes almost unbearable.

... but then again, right now you would only be talking to yourself, considering the 'masses' on the 'crowded' utxmp servers.

PRG

XMP Beta Tester
Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's enabled by default, but the functionality is the same as regular UT2k4. and Yes, it can be muted client side. There should be an option somewhere for it in the settings menus

Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
in ut2004 you can choose to join a channel such as public or team and only those people can hear you + if someone annoys you you can ignore them by hitting escape and muting them. why should we have to use a 3rd party program if not totally nessasary? i have tried to get the voice chat to work but was unable so in utxmp, am i doing something wrong? any hints would be cool....

p.s. people DO play utxmp ;)

PRG

XMP Beta Tester
Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
It's "worked" from the little testing I've done. TBH, the VoIP on any game I've ever played was always close unintelligble and usually annoying if it was coherent. Usually it's too low bit rate and too quiet for me to understand well, no matter what I set the VoIP at. (Talking about UT2k4[and UTXMP], CS, CS:S etc...)

One thing important to note is that VoIP is a configurable server setting. Perhaps most(all?) of the servers have it disabled. I don't have a copy handy but maybe the dedicated server download has VoIP disabled in the .ini's. In the end, FMI has about 0 control over that, you gotta talk to server admins. I don't see any server admins weighing in on this also. I also wouldn't be the least bit suprised if Dubious turned it off in the ini's he put together for the dedicated server install to make server loads lower (and therefore make UTXMP look better.)

Anyways, noone's shown anything to make a good case it doesn't work. I hear this: it either doesn't work period, doesn't work correctly on their system as a result of UT2k4, doesn't work properly as a result of UTXMP or it's disabled on the server(s.)

Can you find a 2k4 server with VoIP enabled and does it work there? If yes, have you talked to admins of whatever UTXMP server you're playing frequently and asked if it's enabled?

BTW, If I sound nasty in this post, I apologize for the tone. I'm trying to be helpful not nasty.

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
PRG said:
BTW, If I sound nasty in this post, I apologize for the tone. I'm trying to be helpful not nasty.
don't you always sound nasty? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.