UE1 - UT Zones disapeared

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Davill

Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Help me, please! My editor became unable to build zones that has no zoneinfo actor :eek:
Yesterday there was no problem with that! but now in zone view all map is drawn in one color, in stats prints zones - 0!
(If add zoneinfo actors, zones become to 3 as I have in map.)

in log I found:
Log: Moving zone 133 to the bad place (63)
Log: Moving zone 352 to the bad place (63)
Log: Moving zone 363 to the bad place (63)
Log: WOT ZONING ACTIVE: Found 0 zones

What is wrong?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Actually only 63 zones (internally numbered 1-63) are allowed, zone 0 is the "solidness" that originally filled the world before you started subtracting and that remains inside additive brushes.

Davill

Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ok, I got it, thanks!

But in my map there are only 3 zones! Not any more!

I started new map, made two different rooms (not connected) - the same result! no zones, all in one color! Look its log:

Log: Polys: 12 -> 12
Log: Nodes: 12 -> 12
Log: Points: 16 -> 16
Log: Vectors: 6 -> 6
Log: bspBuildBounds: Generated 10 bounds, 114 hulls
Log: bspBuild built 12 convex polys into 12 nodes
Log: Moving zone 0 to the bad place (63)
Log: Moving zone 1 to the bad place (63)
Log: WOT ZONING ACTIVE: Found 0 zones
Log: Polys: 12 -> 12
Log: Nodes: 24 -> 12
Log: Points: 16 -> 16
Log: Vectors: 6 -> 6

Can you help, please.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Just a hunch: What's your exact game version? If you don't use UT v436 you might want to consider up-/downgrading to that version. I wouldn't trust any UTPG version for editing maps or compiling code.
Or if you want to use the latest UTPG patch, maybe you could do a separate "editor" install of UT v436 and edit its UnrealTournament.ini so the Maps, Textures, Music and Sounds directories point to your "play" install directory with the different patch level.

Davill

Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, Wormbo, I use editor from Unreal Gold, patched to227f (maybe here is the bug).
Installed UT and cheked my map in editor (436) - everything is Ok! Do I understand you right, this is the most 'unbug' version?

Davill

Aug 19, 2009
Russia
But for me it is not so handy to use UT Editor, becose i have to wait more longer time when press "Play map" button game starts :-(

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
What kind of PC do you use if UT1 has to load a while ?:)

Patch 227 for Unreal Gold is unofficial just like UT 451 is unofficial and is known to mess up the editor.

Use Unreal Gold 226, the last official patch for Unreal.

However, the UT editor from 436 really is much better and you should try to just work with that one.

Davill

Aug 19, 2009
Russia
one more question, please, can I just install patch226 now or need to reinstall the editor, and then patch226

Smirftsch

May 9, 2000
www.oldunreal.com
Since I'm still getting referrals to this topic:
227f UED2 does not mess up zoning and a bunch of bugs known from 4.36 or 4.51 have been fixed there already.

The zoning however is handled different, with an extension which was disabled in classic Unreal, but introduced by Legend for UGold to help mappers with the 63 zones limit:

// ZoneInfo-based zoning
//
// An alternative zoning algorithm developed by Legend to help control
// merged zones. Level designers must manually place ZoneInfo actors
// (or subclasses) in all "real" zones.
//
// All zones that do not contain a ZoneInfo actor are forced to iZone==63.
//
// In levels with more than 63 zones, this algorithm can be used to allow
// the level designers to control exactly which zones are merged, and
// which are mapped to their own iZone.

Since this is a good idea in general I took this over into 227.

Last edited: