The WIP Screenshot Thread!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Small visual update on my map. I'll have a beta out sooner or later.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2636/screenshot00013dj7.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

ZOMGS OUTGROWTH! (not completed)
[SCREENSHOT]http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1869/screenshot00014fs5.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Very WIP and only worklights are used for now. Also, textures may be changed later on and some deco will becomes static meshes.

It will be a 5vs5 CTF-map with a more oldskool layout. Don't like big CTF-maps at all (i'm more a Quake3-player) so thats why i'm aiming for a more smaller map with alot of ''face-to-face''-action. The basic layout is done and right now i'm detailing the map and playing with textures/deco's. This map will use a lot of custom content and it will be a construction area-styled theme.

What you see here is the flag-room of a team. (those red trims are my work-textures for entrances/doorways etc)

This one really reminds me of original UT levels like Stalwart, Crane and iirc Unreality

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Alright, my update to Overwatch.

Mostly did a bunch of new meshes for corridors and tunnels, and Ignotium has helped with lighting and other small things.

As always, any constructive criticism would be helpful.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
CTF-Dreary eh? Is there a Ut2k4 version?
there was but it wasnt that good, and if i were to remake, it doesnt matter wat version I go from because its only a remake in turms of layout.. everything else I make my own.. may even change layout

heres it in UT1
CTF-Dreary.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. UglyPants

Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Glad to hear, though i tried a few matches of it (the version i have) in 2k4, it has potential, but i really hope you add to the layout, maybe shorten it or add more pathes. Either way, Good Luck Bazzwano.

Ah whatever. So does any like the new screens for Overwatch?

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Glad to hear, though i tried a few matches of it (the version i have) in 2k4, it has potential, but i really hope you add to the layout, maybe shorten it or add more pathes. Either way, Good Luck Bazzwano.

Ah whatever. So does any like the new screens for Overwatch?

yeh, it wasnt that fun was it... hmm but maybe i could fix that... if i chose to map it, I wouldnt add a path though

Um you didnt add some of the meshes I sugested, so heres a tip... Try to show as little BSP as posible and definatly DO NOT show a corner of BSP, put a mesh on it hahah

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Moar Tree EXPLOSION!!!! (and some screenshots)

[SCREENSHOT]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9066/tree1wq8.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5201/tree2re1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Um you didnt add some of the meshes I sugested, so heres a tip... Try to show as little BSP as posible and definatly DO NOT show a corner of BSP, put a mesh on it hahah

NO!!! This is wrong. I hope you are joking because if not it is clear to me you have no idea how to correctly use meshes. Spamming meshes just to cover up every little inch of BSP is just simply wrong and should never be done just to be done. I don't care if that is how it is done in UT3, to me that is no way to map or design any kind of art. First and foremost a map is to be played and designed to do just that. The art of a map is supposed to follow a theme and the creator of such a map is supposed to use meshes correctly as to create a place that can be believed to be real. Real places don't have detail everywhere you look but instead in places that makes sense for the use of that area. If it needs pillars to hold up the building use them correctly, don't spam them to fill a area. If it needs boxes because it is a warehouse put them near doors or places that make sense for them to be there don't spam them randomly in your building with no real reason or way they are there. Places you design need to make sense and spamming meshes just to cover up bsp almost always gets away from that.

Mr. UglyPants

Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
yeh, it wasnt that fun was it... hmm but maybe i could fix that... if i chose to map it, I wouldnt add a path though

Yeah, i've been meaning too, i just keep getting sidetracked with other sections of the map.

Mr. UglyPants

Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh

My Link Gun room, obviously modelled off of the Shock room in DM-Rankin, but thats were the the similarities end. Well not really, some other suff may look Rankin-ish but whatever.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
NO!!! This is wrong. I hope you are joking because if not it is clear to me you have no idea how to correctly use meshes. Spamming meshes just to cover up every little inch of BSP is just simply wrong and should never be done just to be done. I don't care if that is how it is done in UT3, to me that is no way to map or design any kind of art. First and foremost a map is to be played and designed to do just that. The art of a map is supposed to follow a theme and the creator of such a map is supposed to use meshes correctly as to create a place that can be believed to be real. Real places don't have detail everywhere you look but instead in places that makes sense for the use of that area. If it needs pillars to hold up the building use them correctly, don't spam them to fill a area. If it needs boxes because it is a warehouse put them near doors or places that make sense for them to be there don't spam them randomly in your building with no real reason or way they are there. Places you design need to make sense and spamming meshes just to cover up bsp almost always gets away from that.
hmmm i dont wana get into the itty gritty, but if you are going for a high quality map, and you have areas with brightly lit BSP, depending on the texture in use it does not look very good. thats why detail is not required on the walls and floor as these are often dim. It annoys me how people talk this crap about too many meshes sticking out etc for players to get stuck on.. it makes you sound like you have never made a map. becuase you just end up setting meches to collide weapons only them map out collision so that the player can glide arrcos the walls. anyway. im not going to argue.. enogh from me.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
[SCREENSHOT]http://users.pandora.be/Hourences/unrealsky.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Been playing ONP again lately and it made me want to turn UT3 into something more Unrealish (tentacle loving goths <> Unreal).
So I tried to replicate an original Unreal sky in UT3, this is only 5 hours work yet. Two layers of clouds, the clouds change shape a little to simulate wind and stuff. The stars only appear occasionally, when the clouds open up for a few seconds, then they disappear again.
Three suns, 1 moon/planet.
The whole thing is very dynamic, everything moves. The suns rotate, clouds fade over suns and moons, etc.

I will prolly dump this online when I am done with it so any mapper can download it and use it as a premade sky thing.

Last edited: