Creating basic BSP Layouts in the UT3 Editor for UT4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EisWiesel

... !!!
Jan 19, 2008
www.ut436.de
Hi, it has been a long time since I was here but since the UT4 announcement, Im rethinking of making a maps... I did some maps already which were remakes of UT99 like DM-Agony and DOM-Ghardhen for the UT3 Domination project. I created a lot of german tutorials for the UT3 editor and run a website for hosting/discussing them.

I would like to create low-poly UT99 styled maps but with high-quality materials and new atmospheric features of UE4 (weather effects, particles, emitter, dynamic light etc).

My question is if its worth starting with the UT3 editor to create basic BSP layouts of maps (without meshes, materials, kismet etc) and if its possible to import them later to the UT4 editor to finish them?

Or should I better use the latest UDK with UE3 (I have no experience with UDK)?

Most important for a later import is that dimensions and grid inside the editor match exactly.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
You could use Google Sketchup (that's what I'd do personally), one of the main concerns would be how lightning will handle the model you would be importing in UE4 later on. There's also no telling what the game scale will be so this could have a major impact on how your level will play for the next UT.

But yeah, Sketchup is definitively there with the HOLP style of level design. You'll love it.

EisWiesel

... !!!
Jan 19, 2008
www.ut436.de
Thx for the hint, I will definitely take a look into sketchup :)

Yes, the scale is mostly important, I try to stick on brushes which match the grid and are divisble by 8 but if I have to rescale the map later, it takes too much effort. Lets see how UT4 will develop, maybe it is too early to start if the scale is unclear yet.

Apr 11, 2006
My suggestion would be to use whatever version of the engine you are comfortable with to build BSP blockouts. Ultimately you are going to have to convert your brushes into 3D models and bring the thing in as static meshes though.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
UE4 is far easier to use. Just pay $19 once and cancel. You won't get the updates, but you can play around with it as long as you want.

Apr 11, 2006
The brush tools in UE4 are more stable and don't require you to rebuild geometry all the time, so why not just use UE4?

I hadn't tried using BSP in UE4 but I'll have to check that out. I saw a few threads on AnswerHub about BSP collision that make me wary of using it, but then I guess ultimately it doesn't matter which BSP tools you use if you can just convert to SMs in the end anyway.

EisWiesel

... !!!
Jan 19, 2008
www.ut436.de
UE4 is far easier to use. Just pay $19 once and cancel. You won't get the updates, but you can play around with it as long as you want.

Sounds alright to me, well I think I will do that. Sketchup is nice as well but for me its too different to the ut-editor and with UE4, I can start playing with materials und effects :D
I just wait for the game-dimensions before I start

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Yeah, waiting for something playable so you can get a sense of required scale is the way to go. I'm currently inwardly laughing at the people remaking maps for the game now, without even knowing how players are going to move around them..

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Yep, get comfy with UE4 for now. Making anything for the new UT right now is pointless aside from concept art.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm currently inwardly laughing at the people remaking maps for the game now, without even knowing how players are going to move around them..

Global scale tool last-minute adjustments galore.

BSP off-grid everywhere.

Sounds alright to me, well I think I will do that. Sketchup is nice as well but for me its too different to the ut-editor.

Yeah, personally I really got used around Sketchup, and I prefer using it over BSP any time of the day, it simply allows me to express details better without having to worry about resources or HOM issues. For instance, something I worked on for fun:

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/IK2EyzI.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/piBcq8C.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/UclWJy5.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/qlV4gBU.jpg[/screenshot]

Last edited:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Does the UE4 editor come with assets (mesh & texture packs)?