Unreal Series Complete Music Collection

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
Comes that way in the game data. It's completely unedited or reencoded for the music release; I just copied the file.

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
I dont have an account with them...but would they even be willing to host? I doubt it.

That site belongs to Skillz ..

Of course he'll host it for you, Skillz is the man when it comes to helping out the community that way.

C'mon factoryx, lets get this baby done the right way so those without P2P can benefit from your hard work.

BTW, good job on the compilations, especially in lossless formats.

fatboyman

Aug 17, 2009
Would you guys tolerate if i up'd to a file hoster?
filefactory, media fire? i would have admin issues wit hthe ftp as i found out.

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
I have one criticism: A great many of the tracks from Unreal and Unreal Tournament are mixed in 4.0. These tracks should have been exported as 4 channel FLAC so that people with multi channel systems could enjoy the surround effects. It wouldn't have affected those with stereo systems either, as playback software/devices will downmix.

Those quadrophonic tracks like Forgone Destruction are awesome.

I was going to, but I ran into two things:

1. XMPlay doesn't export to quadrophonic. (Annoying.) The real problem with this is that XMPlay/Modplug Tracker play things a bit differently (especially with sample volume levels), so I couldn't make a harmonious rip.
2. After a lot of asking around on tracker forums, I got the explanation: "Certain songs composed for Unreal and Unreal Tournament have the S91 command, which is encoded as Pro-Logic surround sound in most trackers and mod players. One would normally need a Pro-Logic decoder to get this kind of surround. Without it, one will just hear a surround-like effect because the waveform of the left side of the channel is flipped by 180 degrees on the right side. This is normally how surround is emulated on a stereo setup. It's unlikely that this effect was intended to be exported to multichannel WAV or listened to in that manner. If for some reason you'd like to see which samples the S91 command targets for Pro-Logic surround, open a song in which the command is present in the OpenMPT tracker program, then export it to quadraphonic WAV."

TorNis

Apr 27, 2010
Hey guys. I registered here to say thanks to author of this thread.
This is what I was searching for all the time.
Haven't found this on Skillz's site, so I will use torrent.
And have a question, what's the purpose of MOD/UMX files stored there as well?

Last edited:

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
The UMXs are there kind of as a way to say, "these are truly the original files" with total assurance. Some are identical of course, but I took them all from separate game installs. The MODs are there just for convenience, so anyone who wants to edit the track doesn't have to strip the UMX shell first.

TorNis

Apr 27, 2010
Is there a player who supports UMX?
Or the only way is to convert UMX but in that way, the quality will be same?

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
Most players support UMX playback. All a UMX file is...they take a normal S3M, IT, XM tracker file, and just put a small "shell" on it, and rename the file extension to UMX. It's still the same tracker file playing underneath, so there's no quality issue. The MODs and the UMX tracks are equal.

TorNis

Apr 27, 2010
Download completed.
Very beautiful FLAC quality. And each song is tagged, which is also cool.
Thanks again for collection. I will seed it for a while and btw, keep us up for the updates ;)

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I have one criticism: A great many of the tracks from Unreal and Unreal Tournament are mixed in 4.0. These tracks should have been exported as 4 channel FLAC so that people with multi channel systems could enjoy the surround effects. It wouldn't have affected those with stereo systems either, as playback software/devices will downmix.

Those quadrophonic tracks like Forgone Destruction are awesome.

UE1/2 doesn't support multichannel audio streams anywhere except the software spatialization of 3d sounds mixed within the 3d environment. Even in mod players surround positioning was never fully implemented to any kind of reliably and resulted in vastly different listening experiences depending on the most minor of client differences.
What surround flags in mods actually did in UE was take advantage of a "bug" in the galaxy driver that caused it to simulate reverb in a stereo image. The sample based format of mods meant stereo samples with reverb tails were very expensive (large size) so being able to trick the engine into doing that in software was really cool.
I can't really recall much detail from the retail music but I know I did this with several songs from 7Bullets if anyone wants to check it out.

Last edited:

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
Well, if there's some way we can possibly recreate the effect or even just get some simple quadrophonic rips going, I'll make some special folders for each game for them and rerelease.

That's fascinating stuff, though... Where'd you learn about it? It was pretty hard getting any info at all about the extra channels. It's another thing that makes me step back and realize how much of an achievement Unreal/UT were, and how wonderful it is to keep investing time and interest into these games.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
There's a lot of mod flags that don't work correctly or at all rendered through galaxy. I think I was trying to pinpoint which ones worked. Since it was taking advantage of a bug in galaxy this effect doesn't happen in OpenAL (old Mac/Linux clients, new Win driver) or FMOD.

Reclaimer

UT oldtimer
Mar 29, 2005
USA
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
is this on any http? I am trying the torrent, but it will take me over a month to complete. I lost my unreal music disc. Was before we had these fancy things called usb's and external drives. Trying to get the ol UT music back but seems I am going to be pulling out over a month of DL unless there is another workaround. :(

HackJack

Dec 1, 2010
Sorry to be a thread necro but I kinda joined the forums to tell the OP that he has indeed done a great job putting all this music together.

I also wanted to let him know that the Unreal Championship menu music in this torrent has nothing to to with the actual UC menu music I hear when I play on my Xbox. I've been looking for the real menu music of UC since back when I bought the game in '02.

By "menu music" I mean the music you hear as soon as you get past the cinematic and to the "press start" screen and beyond (choose profile -> actual menu). It's a totally unique semi-dark techno industrial piece. It's actually called "Level 2" even thou it is featured during the menu.

Last edited: