Core i7 + HD6870 = WOW!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I can finally turn all the settings on high and still get 90 FPS online. I am amazed at how good this game looks.

Core i7 870 @ 3.4GHz
XFX HD6870 Black
PhysX card (pci)

I get >400 FPS max, but it drops of course. My FPS nearly doubled when I replaced the HD4870 with the 6870. It did not even drop when I increased from med to high settings.

This is a great upgrade. I had issues with the HD4870 at med settings and had to turn off bloom and depth of field to prevent random crashes. No issues at all with this card. Everything is so much smoother and faster now.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
This is a great upgrade. I had issues with the HD4870 at med settings and had to turn off bloom and depth of field to prevent random crashes. No issues at all with this card. Everything is so much smoother and faster now.

Huh, really? I have HD4890 and it works fine and fast on any settings. Sounds more like a driver problem or possibly a defect.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I can finally turn all the settings on high and still get 90 FPS online. I am amazed at how good this game looks.

Core i7 870 @ 3.4GHz
XFX HD6870 Black
PhysX card (pci)

I get >400 FPS max, but it drops of course. My FPS nearly doubled when I replaced the HD4870 with the 6870. It did not even drop when I increased from med to high settings.

Before the upgrade, what were you running? The game runs flawlessly on an i7-860 and a 5850. Prior to my upgrade I could barely get 30 FPS on a GeForce 6600GT and an Athlon 64 3500+.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
The key is playing at max settings while never having FPS drop below 90 when online. With the 4870 I could only keep >90 if I ran medium settings. I have 1600x1200 res. I am also using the same driver version as with the 4870.

I could run max on any of my prior setups, even the 7950GT, but the fps was way too low and the drops were too severe to play well with, so I always ran at lower settings.

I only had crashes with bloom and depth of field enabled. With that off, no issues with the 4870. It could have had something to do with the driver, the XP_64 version. But, it's all moot now.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
Aren't most movies 30fps? Because the human brain can't process images fast enough for anything higher to matter.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Well yeah same here. As long as I am above 40fps I am golden, though your mileage may vary.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Not quite the one I was looking for, there was a test done by the military where fighter pilots where they could detect an image in 200-250 frames.

Plus out of experience, your brain goes in some kind of hyperdrive when you play for an extended period on such high fps. Makes it hard to miss, unfortunately my pc isn't that fast and can only do a few maps at constant 120. That's why I keep to 90 but there's a noticable difference even then. Some of the top UT3 players set their connection to type LAN when they play online to up to 120.

But it heavily depends on your monitor, if you have a 5ms LCD it's not gonna help much because of the blur effect you get when moving.

edit: Don't know if you heard about Heroes of Newerth, but it's the only game I'm aware of that's capped by default at 125fps online. In the beta I saw people that could literally not figure out why it felt smoother and faster paced than DotA. It actually takes a while to adapt to HoN, but afterwards DotA feels slow and sluggish as hell instead of "normal".
Also some spell spam caused slowdowns to the game, but if you looked at the fps counter, the game was still running at about 85 fps.
If the human eye can't see more than 60fps, then how could one notice the slowdown from 125 -> 85. Same thing with UT3.

Last edited:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
The higher FPS is critical when playing online. It's not about smoother, although it is much smoother whenever you eliminate fps drops. If your running low FPS online, other players will kill you easier. Never dropping below 90 FPS online is as good as you can get since 90 is the game limit.

XP_64 has issues with drivers for sure, I think XP_32 was actually faster, but I got what I got. I may upgrade to win 7 or 8 when my hard drive dies. But not before.