Rocket Secondary

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Choose

• Total voters

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
69696969696969 6969696969696969
But, 2/13ths serious, I'd like to see a more advanced rocket locking system. I really like how ut2kx managed to give players 5 rocket patterns to choose from. But I just don't like how useless the rocket lockon system is. The only time I use it is to fool around with people and see if they are silly enough to get hit with a rocket lockon from across the map when they are trying to snipe me.

Last edited:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
The lock on's pretty useless, but it's there as a feature to catch some people out, lock onto someone from behind or, simply to frag newstarts.

Hint: Don't try to use it. Use skill instead.

Vault

May 29, 2005
i think that the primary should be like the secondary is now, and the secondary should be like UT99, with the grenades

Swerto

The Founder Of The PL4Y4 H474Z
Jul 29, 2005
EIGTBALL WAS KOOL... the current rl suks and is for n00bs who dont know how to shoot or for 3lit3s who can shoot realy good...

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Swerto said:
the current rl suks and is for n00bs who dont know how to shoot or for 3lit3s who can shoot realy good...

So the current rl is for noobs who can't shoot or pros who can shoot really well....Nope, no contradiction there then. As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as a noob weapon. Newer players tend to use the rl or flak as it takes damage with splash and is therefore a little easier to learn than hitscan...but in the same way it's easier to counter.

I remember Aenubis saying once that the rl isn't his favourite weapon but its the one he gets most kills with...I wonder how many people it's the same for...it is for me.

I like the current rl patterns, and I think the damage level (90 iirc), is about right, as is the reload time. I would like to see them move a little faster though, and perhaps either the splash radius made slightly smaller or the splash damage a little less.

I play a lot of ONS, and surprisingly, even against decent players, the lock on can be effective. Maybe it's because in ONS there are moments when you have to stay in one area (bringing down or building a node) and occasionally people get careless and stop moving...the lock on works brilliantly here from distance and will always give me as much satisfaction as a lg headshot. Same can be true of snipers (for example on the plateau on Arctic where people camp with AVRiLs over the first node...it's common to pick them off with a rl lock as, even if they move, they usually only move a little and the lock stays).
Making the lock more effective would just make the rl over-powerful and it would end up like the bots with the link lockdown on higher skill levels...a never miss weapon.

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Vault said:
i think that the primary should be like the secondary is now, and the secondary should be like UT99, with the grenades
Yes, and to add to that...The primary should automatically lock on without any wait time (which they are already doing btw). And the spiral would occur when you press alternate fire right before you let go of primary fire.

Last edited:

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Bullet10k said:
Yes, and to add to that...The primary should automatically lock on without any wait time (which they are already doing btw). And the spiral would occur when you press alternate fire right before you let go of primary fire.
It shouldn't lock on automaticly, where is the fun in that?

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Only thing I'd like to see brought back is the secondary of grenades. But leave the max amount of 3 rockets/grenades. Cuts down on the spam. I really should use the thing more.

And definately no auto-lock on, that's just too noobish. Learn to use the thing.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm going to agree with:

1) Load up to three primary rockets
2) Then hold down alt-fire for spiral
3) Load up to three grenades with alt
4) 100 damage for direct hit

I am indifferent to lock-on as I never attempt to use it.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Precision or Firepower

hal said:
I'm going to agree with:

1) Load up to three primary rockets
2) Then hold down alt-fire for spiral
3) Load up to three grenades with alt
4) 100 damage for direct hit

I am indifferent to lock-on as I never attempt to use it.

That leaves no room for instant rocket fire. I like having the ability to load up and instant fire at the same time.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
press and release = single rocket.
press and hold = load.

In other words... UT's system with just three projectiles.

I believe you could check and option in UT and gain instant fire at the cost of losing the ability to load. Now, I wouldn't want to give up loading, but wouldn't press and release be close to instant?

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Ok listen up about the auto-rocket-lock-on...

1. Epic is already doing it, they mentioned it in a magazine too, and I think it's fine.
2. AT THE MOMENT: At midrange: Rockets are EASY TO AVOID, like really, just double tap a movement key and you'll take NEAR ZERO OR ZERO damage (Even I could dodge almost every rocket at midrange). At close-range whether it locks on or not doesn't matter because your at close range and the rocket cant turn that rapidly and fast (hopefully not too rapidly and fast), so at close range the rocket lock-on won't help you much anyway.
3. Even when it locks on, you can STILL dodge it because it's not like it's gonna curve insane amounts rapidly like a madman chasing after you.
4. How many frags have you had from rocket lock-ons against GOOD-PUB players? Probably near 1% of ALL your rocket launcher shots. You know it's true. Just think about it...in DM-Rankin there is like almost no way you could get a nice frag from a lock on. The current way the lock-on timing is implemented in 2k4, it's just no use almost anywhere. The rocket lock-on should ACTUALLY BE USEFUL.
5. I'm not asking for a newbified game, I'm not contradicting, I'm just trying to make the lock-on ACTUALLY USEFUL (which does not automatically mean overpowered), just try to understand (Refer to #4).
6. MAYBE, instead of locking on, the time it takes to get a lock on should be reduced drastically to a short amount of time, rather than instantly (but that depends on balancing issues) because IIRC the lock-on atm takes about 2-3 secs, understand that 2-3 seconds is a really long time in UT.
7. Btw I already know how to use the rocket launcher but I want the lock on actually useful for once and also balanced.
8. If your so obsessed with balancing: If the auto lock-on is being added in then the damage can be reduced, or ROF can be lowered, rocket speed reduced...etc. So it can STILL be balanced with auto lock-on.
9. I trust Epic to make it well balanced.
10. If this doesn't convince you, nothing will, so I'm prolly not talking about auto lockons after this.

My ten reasons!:D

So either ONE of the following three things should happen:

-Make it lock on instantly <---I would prefer, because then players wouldn't be waiting for a lock on (waiting is bad in UT)
-Make it lock on in a VERY SHORT amount of time and so that it's actually USEFUL
-Remove it altogether

This should NOT happen: Keep the rocket launcher timing the same as it is in 2k4 so that it's not even useful in any way.

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Selerox said:
That leaves no room for instant rocket fire. I like having the ability to load up and instant fire at the same time.
Well I haven't had any experience with non-instant rocket fire (I played UT99 too but it was too long ago to even remember).

But I THINK it would be fine because this is not a HITSCAN weapon. If it was a Shock Rifle, THEN it would be HUGE problem (you'll see complaints everywhere), because any late shots with a hitscan gun just sux really bad, just like how you can't play instagib on a laggy server but you can still be good with flak. But this is a rocket launcher and not hitscan so I THINK it would be fine really. Need to try it out though.

Last edited: