UT2004 compatible with Next UNREAL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
What is the matter with you guys?

To the thread: I think converting UT2004-> Envy is pretty pointless anyways, since playerscale/movement will surely change. Also, maps like Deck-$number will be remade anyways ;)

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I can't say for sure, but most likely it'll be compatable with ut2k3, and ut2k4 textures... but i'm not certain, you might haft to use a new commandlet or something... and as for the animations it's prolly not goin to be completely compatable, but i might be wrong... it's nothing but speculatoin right now, so i say wait and see.

Ragna

Was online.
Dec 1, 2004
Sydney, AUS
hal said:
See, that's what I mean. It's already been pointed out several times that there ARE in fact official tutorials.

That adds nothing to the thread.

Wouldn't hurt to mention it again. ;)

Nov 17, 2002
London 1905
Visit site
Dandeloreon1984 said:
I can't say for sure, but most likely it'll be compatable with ut2k3, and ut2k4 textures... but i'm not certain, you might haft to use a new commandlet or something... and as for the animations it's prolly not goin to be completely compatable, but i might be wrong... it's nothing but speculatoin right now, so i say wait and see.

Yeah i mean this happens ALL the time with NEW ENGINES doesn't it. :rolleyes:

I mean afterall, Unreal 1 was TOTALLY compatible with 2003/4

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
RaptoR said:
The Deck17 thing is in the article. It was the first map they brought into Envy (BSP-only).
thanks.. i guess nobody read your last post because everyone said no to me :/

..thats awesome.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
lol, not a chance in hell
is the same that heppened with the first UT, is a diferent engine so...
only redos (N)

Last edited:

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
You gotta be kidding...Optimism would be much too strong word for anyone thinking we're going to see "envy" or UT3 before the end of 2006 at the earliest. These vids and screenies leaking are simply U engine 3 tech demos. It was at least 18 months between the time they announced UT2 and 2k3 was released. And we knew that UC was coming for XBOX long b4 that (which was the base code for 2k3 to begin with). My money on "Envy" will be Q1 2007. They may set closer release dates in the mean time...but history with Epic shows us that they need the time. If we get anything sooner, it'll be little more than 2k4 with more WOW factor GFX...and they say that's not what they are shooting for.

Plenty of time to build and make 2k4 maps...and enjoy them.

Hell, people still map for UT1 and people still play it.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
ah but don't you understand ? As soon as people get news there's a new sequel life stops and everyone stops playing in tournaments & mapping, since ... well ... it makes no sense to map or practice for anything that's going to be outdated in a few years time.

I've seen it happen with mods ...
It happened when UT2k3 was about to be released ...
It happened to pretty much any fps that had plenty of gamers that were only playing the game because it was 'popular' and not because it was 'good'.

As soon as any 'news' appears those types of people will drop whatever they're playing and start making plans for the new game, regardless of the fact that they may not even like it after release.

Rocket_Magnet

All I need is a certain trigger
Sep 29, 2002
Manchester,ENG
Visit site
i cannot understand why anybody would think maps for a game made last year on unreal engine 2.5, are going to work "straight out of the box" with a new ut game on the new updated spiffing unreal engine 3.0 which is going to be released in a year. I really have difficulty processing that.

Nov 17, 2002
London 1905
Visit site
Rocket_Magnet said:
i cannot understand why anybody would think maps for a game made last year on unreal engine 2.5, are going to work "straight out of the box" with a new ut game on the new updated spiffing unreal engine 3.0 which is going to be released in a year. I really have difficulty processing that.

They're from INA.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
JaFO said:
As soon as any 'news' appears those types of people will drop whatever they're playing and start making plans for the new game, regardless of the fact that they may not even like it after release.

The "New Game" Doesn't even have a name yet, much less a release date or schedule. Everything is blown out of proportions...such as thinking that these screenies/demos of these vehicles are from this "new game." The only people watching these vids/taking any stock are hardcore Unrealers: a small percentage of the online community.
The only reason the UT1 community started to whither was because the impending release date of 2k3 neared and Epic didn't let on that the delays were going to be another 4-6 months. The UT1 community didn't start to sluff until we were at the "demo soon" or "two weeks" phase approaching E3 2002 period when people thought there was going to be a new product soon.
Things have changed a lot. Unless you are an XBOXer anticipating the next two weeks, the Unreal biz is 2k4 for a long time to come.

Epic will not make the same mistakes this time in leading people to believe unrealisitic release date expectations. They learned their lessons HARD with 2k3. Also, just because a handful of us competitive/semi-competitive or hardcore players stopped playing UT1 with the 2k3 hype, we forget that the UT1 pub community was still alive and well until long after the release of 2k3...and in fact is still one of the more active online games out there even six years after release (cuz it's THAT GOOD).
Map away...if people don't play your maps, it has nothing do with talk of "Envy"

Last edited:

Ictus

Just Eggs
May 30, 2001
Raliegh, NC
www.worstkind.com
Envy maps and packages will not be compatible with UT2004 maps or packages, and vice versa. It is a totally different engine and the way the content is stored is different. However, I'm sure people will be able to import old content with a little work (much like importing a ut1 map into ut2004).

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Bazzi said:
I'd love to see Epic disabling that as far as possible, no need for yet another series of bad-looking flawed 1:1 ports...
Ehm...Just how is Epic supposed to stop people from creating bad maps? :confused:

Not delivering an Editor with the game is about the only thing I can think of, but I think you'll agree that that is a...rather bad idea (and that's an understatement).

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
I mean porting stuff over should be avoided. The flood of wrongly scaled 1:1 ports with ugly textures and lighting from UT to UT2003 was something I'd rather not like to see for Envy :/

Nov 17, 2002
London 1905
Visit site
Ictus said:
Envy maps and packages will not be compatible with UT2004 maps or packages, and vice versa. It is a totally different engine and the way the content is stored is different. However, I'm sure people will be able to import old content with a little work (much like importing a ut1 map into ut2004).

Ryan is Kevin Johnston attached to Envy or Gears or War?

I mean he's a great talent and he did a good job UC2, surely you didn't let him go.