The day the music died

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
"Consider the recent experience of Pascal Vieillard, whose Atlanta-area company, A-440 Pianos, imported several antique Bösendorfers. Mr. Vieillard asked officials at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species how to fill out the correct paperwork—which simply encouraged them to alert U.S. Customs to give his shipment added scrutiny.

There was never any question that the instruments were old enough to have grandfathered ivory keys. But Mr. Vieillard didn't have his paperwork straight when two-dozen federal agents came calling.

Facing criminal charges that might have put him in prison for years, Mr. Vieillard pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of violating the Lacey Act, and was handed a $17,500 fine and three years probation."

Link:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576530520471223268.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

What are they going to do next.
Have the EPA confiscate Air Guitars.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I know it really was his responsibility, but the guys on the other end could have said,"you know, the keys are ivory, so you better have your paperwork straight and....". I'm just saying maybe a heads-up from the sellers happened or didn't happen, but whatever.....

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Canada's fine. I like Canada :)

I made a concious decision a while ago that I wouldn't visit the US if given the opportunity to.

The UK is far from being a free country, but even then I think we're better off than you are in the US.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
This Space For Rent. Please Don't Disturb The Current Occupants

I know it really was his responsibility, but the guys on the other end could have said,"you know, the keys are ivory, so you better have your paperwork straight and....". I'm just saying maybe a heads-up from the sellers happened or didn't happen, but whatever.....

I brought some ivory, and small stuffed seals (made from real seal skin) from Alaska too California many years ago.
In order for me to transport them to another state I need to show when I bought them.
Do you have a receipt for stuff you bought over 20 years ago?

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Good thread :tup:

$17,500 is probably nothing next to what he will get for those pianos...

you know, it's really sad to see this kind of thing happen.... you'd think the ONE field environmentalists would be a bit more lax on is classical Musical Instruments. Hoping he takes their asses to court or something... there's gotta be an angle to work somewhere.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
While it's sad to see some people get bitten under not paying attention to what forms they need to have for older instruments (I mean, it's their fault, especially when they're a freaking dealer, but it's an understandable lapse), I have no sympathy for Gibson. Poor guitar maker. How where THEY supposed to know what they're making their guitars out of...

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
I have no sympathy for Gibson. Poor guitar maker. How where THEY supposed to know what they're making their guitars out of...
~ dumb

Sorry, but Gibson is getting the shaft hardcore. The justice dept. is now saying that their interpretations of foreign laws supersede the country's interpretation of their own laws. So now under the lacey act, anyone importing wood must not only know the exporting country's laws, they must now know "our" interpretation of their laws. Not to mention many other companies use the exact same woods

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5No0Sk9NIo[/m]

Last edited: