JB-EpicBoy2k4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Plays nice. perhaps a little too easy to get to the switch though? maybe put it on the upper floor. I like the jails, obviously it needs more interesting death but you knew that. Perhaps lots of spikes coming through the ceiling. Bots were a little slow, but not sure what the difficulty was on.
Found 1 bug in playing it, a very nice BSP hole:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/The_Head/Shot00046.jpg

Good job so far

Last edited by a moderator:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Code:
Failed to enter J:\UT2004\Maps\JB-EpicBoy2k4-beta1.ut2: Can't find file for package 'R3tex'

... that's when I double-click it.
I don't see it in the game's map selection.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I have tested beta1, I don't know how to unzip .7z files...
Some suggestions. Keep in mind it’s just a point of view... :rolleyes:
- The first I did after playing the map was going to the editor and change the textures, I don’t like those ones in this map at all. Taking some textures from the HourIndusX texture pack I made the map look much cooler (IMO). If you are interested, I post a picture telling what textures I used. (Shift+T selects all surfaces with the same texture). All the pictures I have taken then are from that re-texturized version... :D
- The switch in the red base doesn't work... :con:
- Most of the doorways look too brush-shaped, they need trim or meshes... ;)
- The lighting needs some more work too. I think there should be much more blue lighting inside coming from the windows.
- The antiportals outside don’t make much sense and I think they would be better removed (add zoning instead ;))
- Make the main doorway to the bases wider?
- Most of the pickups shouldn’t be so near the walls IMO.
- The 100shield gives advantage to defenders (attackers won’t take it in that place). I think it should be removed. 5 vials are enough there...
- The map should have some changes in the layout to fix the lack of the Translocator (lifts).
- Remove the Flak in the hallway near the switch and place the Minigun there. Remove the Minigun outside and add a/the ShockRifle in that place.
- Execution? Ehmm... lots of bats coming through the windows? :D The jails should be a bit bigger btw.
- I think the playercount should be lowered 2 less bots... :rolleyes:
- Check out the pathing, I saw a lot of bots stuck beside the SniperRifle inside the base.
- Pictures with more ideas bellow:

Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next beta... :)

Attachments

• JB-EpicBoy Texturing.jpg
    JB-EpicBoy Texturing.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 36
  • JB-EpicBoy1.jpg
    JB-EpicBoy1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 27
  • JB-EpicBoy2.jpg
    JB-EpicBoy2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 35
  • JB-EpicBoy3.jpg
    JB-EpicBoy3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 31
  • JB-EpicBoy4.jpg
    JB-EpicBoy4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
ok, I have the texture package (remember to import them into MyLevel before you release).
I can play the map by double-clicking the file, but it's still not listed in the Jailbreak map selection screen. :(

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
My first impression is that it's too dark! There are a number of stairs where I can't see where I'm going at all.

The two switches seem relatively close to each other, though a game with bots was ok, and didn't have too frequent releases. Like GLecter said, you might need to put in some lifts, as it takes a long time to get round the base to get to the upper floor.
Also, there's a bit of a security hole -- the small passage to the left of the base when you're in the courtyard. Remember that JB bases need to be a bit easier to defend than CTF, because you only have to fight your way IN, not out again.

Looking forward to the next version. I always like castle maps! :D

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Blimey! Tarquin posts beta feedback on a 2k4 map. That's gotta make the newspage ;)

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
G.Lecter said:
Taking some textures from the HourIndusX texture pack I made the map look much cooler (IMO).
indeed i like it too :)

G.Lecter said:
Most of the doorways look too brush-shaped, they need trim or meshes... ;)
that means i would hve to rebuild the whole thing wich surpasses my ued capabilities sry.

G.Lecter said:
The antiportals outside don’t make much sense and I think they would be better removed (add zoning instead ;))
they were there to increase fps, it's zoned now in b3

G.Lecter said:
Check out the pathing, I saw a lot of bots stuck beside the SniperRifle inside the base.
caused by the not-working-release-switch-coz-i-cant-type-correctly bug ;) fixed

lifts: gonna test that (i think there has to be one to go up to the switch, but was too lazy to add it in b3). but u still can shieldjump up there, same works 4 reaching the sniper from below.

ty 4 comments btw :)

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Check the floor of one of the minigun balconies -- ugly texture alignment problem.

Screenshot attached of the thing I mean with the access being too easy, & a texture problem I spotted too.

Ok if I post news on this?

Attachments

• EpicBoy probs.jpg
    EpicBoy probs.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 32

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
tarquin said:
the thing I mean with the access being too easy
it's also easy to defend, shock combos or goo shots do miracles there ;) not played with humans atm but with bots on godlike there's almost no way to enter the base :(

tarquin said:
Ok if I post news on this?
me on the frontpage ? yay ;)

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
WTF?

Beta3 is unplayable for me... You may have done something wrong, everything around me turns completely black, while playing, spectating and also in the editor... :con: [Picture bellow]

I keep most of what I said for Beta2, and 4 more things:
- Remove all the antiportals in the middle. Antiportals take rendering power and it's not worth keeping them if each one hides only a couple of things...
- I prefer the placement of the switches like it was in beta2. To make them more defendable, make the main doorway to the switch room wider... ;)
- Definitely, connect the Amp room to the base, it would be attractive enough in that way... and I'm not sure about having 2 amps in such a small map. Why don't you modify the building in the middle and place a single Amplifier there? ;)
- About the lift placement (per base): 1 outside (SniperRifle), 1 Where the Linkgun is, and another one where the ShockRifle is (if you move the switches down again...) would be OK IMO... :rolleyes:
- I can't say more because that bug is so annoying... :eek:

Attachments

• EpicBoy-AnnoyingThing.jpg
    EpicBoy-AnnoyingThing.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
omg... i surely did something wrong with importing those hourindusx textures :( gonna upload another version without them this evening, maybe i can also get the lifts in 4 that one ;)

and yes: redeemers :D great fun, one of the best parts in epicboy :D

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
No, they are not the textures, I changed them and I did not get any bug like that... :mad:

To lower the Filesize:
- Select all the surfaces and set the lightmap to 32. Only put the lightmap to 4 in surfaces that need shadow detail...
- Go to the 'Build options' window (next to the 'Build All' button) and select DXT1 for the lighting compression...

To increase the Framerates a bit:
- Remove the Antoportals (already said :p)
- Remove complex geometry. There are lots of complex brushes that could be replaced by simpler shapes. Also, if you are patient enough, most of the brushes are not aligned to the grid... ;)
- Some complex brushes are repeated more than once and they would be better converted to staticmeshes (especially the blue one in this picture)

About the deemers, It's not very fair being taunted just because the other team shot one of those nuclear missiles... In CTF you can stop a flagrun, but in JB you can make a taunt just for that... I would remove them... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• EpicBoy-Brushes.jpg
    EpicBoy-Brushes.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: