Thoughts on the 3 new official maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Man I love the UC2 maps ... think I'll play some UC2 today as a matter of fact ... I miss killing Juggernauts and Skaarj. :)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah UC2 is looking pretty dated when compared to UT3 maps though, still I think some of the layouts have potential :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I still prefer the visual/layouts from UC2 for the fact that it's simplified and you know what the hell you're looking at. Not to mention that the gameplay suck in almost every single Retail UT3 levels.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Take a good look at the left side of that Cold Fusion picture kantham, notice anything? I think thats meant to be distortion but comes across more like a compression artifact :p

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Omg, I think you're right. I fall for it, thinking that 2.5 had distortion effects. :eek:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
thought id investigate as to what them searchlights are suposed to do. seems all they are good at is waving around like a spot light looking for prisoners. not only do they NOT point in the direction of the flag carrier as they should.. they point up to the sky
searchlightrp9.jpg

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I found even more bugs in the functionality on the searchlight, both beems reference direction is atuly not the way the been i sfacing so if it were to point at you, you would see it pointing sidways. also both black cubes have the reference blueflagmarker.

Strangly once fixed up the kismit looks sound, but when you play it, the beams actuly point in the direction the players are facing so when the player turns arround, so does the beam. Strange this. After looking at it, im sure it was not tested :S

I tryed fixing it, but i think theres allot more wrong with it... I want this fixed, puts me off playing it, Its otherwise such a fun map, I like it quite a bit in fact.. Carnt wait for more CTF, i hope theres more to come, i hope the community can do stuff like searchlight

Last edited:

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Never was fan of Facing Worlds level but had fun playing it last times. Dont know, maybe thats because i didnt played nw CTF for a long time. Liked new design though its hard to see bright sky all the time.

Searchlight is a total blast! Reminds me somewhat of Twin Tombs (UT2kx) map. Only small issue that there is too many green color, and thats sometimes confusing.

Not a big fan of arena-type levels like Morbias.

Last edited:

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
I found even more bugs in the functionality on the searchlight, both beems reference direction is atuly not the way the been i sfacing so if it were to point at you, you would see it pointing sidways. also both black cubes have the reference blueflagmarker.

Strangly once fixed up the kismit looks sound, but when you play it, the beams actuly point in the direction the players are facing so when the player turns arround, so does the beam. Strange this. After looking at it, im sure it was not tested :S

I tryed fixing it, but i think theres allot more wrong with it... I want this fixed, puts me off playing it, Its otherwise such a fun map, I like it quite a bit in fact.. Carnt wait for more CTF, i hope theres more to come, i hope the community can do stuff like searchlight

I didn't even notice any searchlights. Huh. If they pointed at the flag carrier, that'd be awesome! Odd that the effect was built with Kismet, and then not tested out to make sure it worked. And what black cubes are people referring to?

Shadow]I[

Dec 3, 2002
Utah
I was little bit dissapointed with Face TBH (many UT3 remake maps now have suddenly changed its location from original) , but it's still better than 2k4's version and classic tune playing background makes it only more enjoyable. Morbias was exactly the Morbias I expected from UT3 and Searchlight was quite fun to play - morphed well into UT3's Necris theme. Only funny bug was that black cube on the rooftop, silly Epic... :=)

I have to disagree on this one, the UT2004's FaceClassic was more like the original with the space asteriod location, and the music was something new and very good and actually fit in extremely well for that map, also if I remember correctly, in the ut2004 version you can take the flag and do a speed adrenalin combo while dodge double jumping off the top of the tower with armor and a shield gun while landing to fall almost in the middle, making it much easier to run to the base and capture on this one, and the sniper wasn't as powerful. :)

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Omg, I think you're right. I fall for it, thinking that 2.5 had distortion effects. :eek:
UE2.5 didn't have the distortion, but UE2.5x did. I think it was Dx9 or whatever the Xbox supports.

Afterall, UC2 had bloom, distortion, DOF, and all the other fancy stuff in it. :D

Grogan

Of those three, I like CTF-Searchlight a lot. Very nice looking architecture and it's actually quite a challenging CTF map. (Well, I play it instagib with bots on Experienced and I can almost never make it home with the flag lol).

I don't like Morbias much, but that's not because the map is horrible it's because I don't like rocket launchers. It's not too useful for Instagib (which is my favourite) because there's not much cover. I just find it boring and I can win that match pretty quickly.

The Facing Worlds is a pretty crummy Face Capture remake in my opinion. At first glance it looks nice, but there's too much distance blurring. That's lame for a sniper map like that, it looks like Hell. I have TwistedFace Ultra when I want to get my Face Capture fix.

My favourite Face map of all time was Face3 in UT2004 though. (Egyptian style temples) Pity that the present Nvidia drivers leave that one unplayable with grotesque artifacts though. At least for me (a big blue grid all over the skybox). I play it in Linux, but they say there are similar problems in Windows with UT2004 and Nvidia 8800 cards. (Only some maps though)