Spinning Manta Bug.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
E

ethier

Some of the mantas in quite a few maps have a strange bug. They cannot be steered and will only spin in circles. Does anyone know why this is? I speculate that there are at least two types of mantas that can be placed in UED, a good one and a faulty one. I can't test this theory because I can't use the editor. Is this just me?

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
It is probably a collison thing, just wondering if there is some common geometry or staticmeshes it's touching wich would start the spinning action.
Once it gets going, it probably don't stop, right? mabye see if you can eyeball what makes it start spinning.

Possibly gravity or some wierd texture it's setting on? , mabye.

Possibly use the high physics settings? in the game menus. or mabye try low to see what effect on the spinning it gives, just a few ideas.

Tresset

The Great Azure Dragon
Dec 19, 2005
St. Paul, MN
No, I'm pretty sure what triggers it is the manta itself. I do have a Mac, if that were to make any difference, but I doubt it. It starts as soon as someone gets in a the defective manta and does not stop until that person gets out. I think it must be the manta itself because, even on the same map, only certain mantas have it. It probably is unimportant, but I have noticed that it is spining slightly faster than the manta's normal turning speed. This is one of the reasons I think it may be a defective manta that is placed in the editor. I am always on high physics so I will try changing that, but I still think It is a bug that came with the game and not certain maps.
By memory, here are a few maps that have it:

ONS-Pipeline (tower power node on red side only)
ONS-VolcanoHigh (one of the mantas at the red core)
AS-SkyRace-FinalVersion(all of them (Grrrr..))
I have no doubt that there are many more.

Last edited:

Tresset

The Great Azure Dragon
Dec 19, 2005
St. Paul, MN
Kyllian said:
Never had a problem with the mantas on that one
Very strange. Why do I get all the bad luck?

Kyllian said:
And I doubt this thread is in the right section
This is a trouble and I do need it shot. What section do you think it should be in?

Tresset

The Great Azure Dragon
Dec 19, 2005
St. Paul, MN
Ah, yes. I will be more careful next time.

But then again; what is this section for then?

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Well i am doing a little karma on my next one, but i see that if the karma is a vehical the programer has to wright separate scripts for it, then all the karma objects for the car is treated as one.
Way I see it, karma is all about collision, between if you want it to react with bots, walls, bullets and other karma objects, and even the size of the triangles and the speeds.

But you would have to isolate if the car is the same car by looking at the code, or the properties.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Problem probably lies with use of an optical mouse.
Manta code for steering is driven by player view, the vehicle pawn will rotate till they match.
Optical mice tend to have a high sample rate, thus more accurate. Often the buffer will overload and result in erratic player view/spin. Since Manta's are dependant on mouse input, they are more suscetible to displaying this erratic behavior. I would go into your mouse settings and lower the sample rate.

Tresset

The Great Azure Dragon
Dec 19, 2005
St. Paul, MN
The more people that say they don't have this bug, the more I think it is a mac only bug.

And the mouse is not the problem. If it were the mouse then all mantas would do this.

And a little clarification here: A laser mouse is the latest type of mouse. It operates on a laser instead of a light. It works much better than an optical. It makes the optical mouse obsolete, or it will in the near future at least. And when that happens you will only be able to find optical mouses at cheap places like schools. My school mainly uses those antiques with balls in them.

Last edited:

Tresset

The Great Azure Dragon
Dec 19, 2005
St. Paul, MN
YOU WISH IT WOULD DISAPPEAR!? Macs have many advantages over windows, like being easier to use, being more fool proof (not completely, but it is harder to make a mess out of things), and virtual immunity to viruses and add/spy ware.

Macs... (NERD TALK BEWARE!!!)

well, I hate to say it, but the main reason viruses are so more prevalent on PCs than macs is that Windows is such a more popular OS. If you were going to write a virus, you'd want to hit the most people, right? That leaves you firmly in the realm of Windows. Boom, there you have it. Crazy bug btw.

Tresset

The Great Azure Dragon
Dec 19, 2005
St. Paul, MN
Frisket said:
well, I hate to say it, but the main reason viruses are so more prevalent on PCs than macs is that Windows is such a more popular OS. If you were going to write a virus, you'd want to hit the most people, right? That leaves you firmly in the realm of Windows. Boom, there you have it. Crazy bug btw.

Exactly!

But there is another reason as well. In Mac OS10 that stuff can only be installed with root access, something a certain user doesn't need to have to browse the internet.