Have you ever considered uninstalling 2k3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Have I had the Urge? Yes. I did the other night. came close too.

I love the game, but I play like crap. :(

That night in question I got fustrated. was doing 1V1's and killed nothing(Other than myself) and then the specs got on my ass.

I know I'm not a good player, don't need to be told, let alone have it rubbed in my face by speccies.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Warden you can't be any worse than I am. I'm a guy that, given a redeemer, WILL find SOME way to kill JUST myself with it. If there were a contest for "kill yourself in the stupidest ways imaginable" I would win it hands down.

I've fragged people with the Minigun already (the supposedly worst weapon) but still..... I kill myself more. This is why I only play offline. No lag, no whiners and spammers, and no one to laugh at me when I suicide for the millionth time :lol:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
yeah maybe in UT, with the overpowered one. This Minigun requires more than point and hold the button.

Astaldo

Apr 21, 2000
Highland Lakes, NJ USA
Visit site
I actually just finished U2 and liked it, just a little short. As for UT2K3, I've uninstalled it a few times, but I keep coming back to it. It's slowly growing on me. I think I just had my expectations set too high. I can remember watching this site when the demo was supposed to come out. Hitting F5 every few second watching the "Cliffy Cam."
At any rate, UT2K3 is fun for me. I haven't had any major bugs, and my fps is good.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Sekhmet said:
Nemephosis said:
This Minigun requires more than point and hold the button.
It does? :con:

Oh jeesus do I get tired about people whining about the mini. :rolleyes:

It's not the weapon it self, it's how it's used.

You can 'spam' with whatever weapon you want. Even with the LtG. You just find a spot to hide, aim at a place where you know people come from and fire.

Now the mini has come to focus because of 2 things that has been changed since the mini in UT99.

First: Epic changed the firemod, so by default the primary fire shot with a faster rate but with more spreading, as the secondary fire did with the mini in UT99. But that can easily be changed in the ini and so I guess most people who wants to kill with the mini have done.

Second : They reduced the damage by the mini so it takes more hits to kill someone. So you have actually to fire during a longer period to kill somebody.

If something would make me quit playing UT2003 it would be all this trashing against people who prefer other weapon than shock and LtG.

Sekhmet

the Destroyer
Oct 16, 2001
Memphis, Egypt
www.carpeimperium.com
Well I agree every weapon can be spammed, just like in UT really.. at the same time every weapon can be used with a lot of skill.

The mini's not entirely without skill, but it comes damn close. Yeah it takes longer to kill someone, but at the same time you get 350 ammo ánd the lockdown, with a primary that doesn't spread that much... o_O.
It's a spammy weapon that I should probably use more than I do, but that's not going to change the fact that it is in my opinion the most annoying weapon in the game.

But that's just my opinion. As for your remark Swedix, I really doubt all good the players are now becoming shock/LtG only :). I see all the weapons are being used now, and I think it's just because of the quick switching that people use shock and lightning fairly much. Because you can switch back to a 'safer' weapon like the flak or rockets, it's easy to get a quick combo or lightning shot in. But in no way are these the only two weapons you can use, in a lot of situations rockets work a lot better for example, or flak, or even mini.

Last edited:

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Every weapon can be annoying and I think that's the point with them.

I can't see why it's more annoying to be nailed by a mini when you are running away with the enemy flag than do get headshoted by someone you can't see or be ambushed by a combo when you are trying to sneak into the enemy base.

To think a weapon is annoying belongs to the game but call someone skilless becuase they prefer to use a special weapon is insulting the player.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Yes, since the 2K3 mini deals less damage, it does require more than point and hold.

In UT the weapon was way overpowered. Upwards of 9 damage per bullet with an insane secondary firemode and it was just really unpleasant to play against. With this mini, you actually have to MOVE and AVOID STUFF while firing, making it a more skillful weapon to use, BECAUSE you can't kill as easily with it.

I'm not trashing anyone (okay who would have thought... :p) I'm just saying that there's more to using the 2K3 minigun than the UT one.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Doc_EDo said:
aaaaaaaaaarrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!.....must.... not...post... :B

Amen...don't want to get drawn into yet ANOTHER minigun hate thread lol! This is all I'll say:
Swedix said:
sekhmet said:
...but that's not going to change the fact that it is in my opinion the most annoying weapon in the game.
Every weapon can be annoying and I think that's the point with them.

I can't see why it's more annoying to be nailed by a mini when you are running away with the enemy flag than do get headshoted by someone you can't see or be ambushed by a combo when you are trying to sneak into the enemy base.

To think a weapon is annoying belongs to the game but call someone skilless becuase they prefer to use a special weapon is insulting the player.

The mini is easily the most annoying weapon in the game. Not only does the screenflash ensued by being hit by multiple bullets drive me crazy, the spread is VERY small meaning you get hit by virtually every bullet, but I have never seen anyone other than "new players" use the mini for anything but finishing people off...so it's easy for me to say that it's a n00b weapon, since every n00b in every server hunts for it and uses it constantly...not just as a beginner or finisher...thanks to it's small spread it's easy for people that can't aim very well to get alot of instant hits.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Brizz said:
but I have never seen anyone other than "new players" use the mini for anything but finishing people off...

A friend of mine just got the game and he came round mine with his pc to get it installed and so I could install a load of custom stuff for him. First weapon he used? Minigun :lol: I actually said to him that every new player seems to gravitate to the mini, just as he picked it up and that farmiliar evil grin appeared on his face..... "Minigun! w00t!!!" lol, took me ages to drag him away from it and start using other weapons :)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Sparky said:
Just curious, have you ever got the sudden urge to uninstall 2k3? If it wern't for Atlantis, I think the game would have passed through my recycle bin a while ago.
There's plenty of mutators and there's quite a few mods to look forward to (Red Orchestra, The Opera, Defence Alliance 2, Jailbreak, Atlantis). So the chance of me uninstalling UT'03 is next to zero. Except for major disasters & acts of god it's going to stay on my pc until the harddisk fails.

As for people whining about games they don't like : I guess they can't cope with the fact that they can't deal with the fact that they had to unlearn all their 'winning' moves & strategies, while at the same time getting beat by 'newbies' that had gotten the hang of this game before they could. Add to this that a lot of these people managed to delude themselves with unrealistic expectations even after the demo was released ...
(and don't even get me started about how the majority of these 'complaints' could & still can be fixed by anyone with a bit of spare time ... )

Last edited by a moderator: