Change the tide?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
I agree. Torlan's problems are to do with map design. If there was another raptor on the central tower, an avril in every locker, and another manta it would be far easier to make comebacks from the base.

As is said it's too easy for the other team to blockade the base.

The thing is that since the game was designed from scratch, it was impossible to say what made a good map. But let's face it -after the game was released, Epic still haven't really grasped things. What posessed them to release primeval as a "demo" map??

Many of titan's maps have been tweaked a lot to allow them to flow; prevent bottlenecks, not allow small events at the start of a game to dominate the flow of the rest of the game -and allow enough transport for each player.

Good maps are initially about vision; then a decent node design; then tweaking after playtesting with a lot of experienced players.

In my mind, the map that is closest to perfect that I've seen is ONS-Ahebban (I'm biased - it ws made by a titan regular.)

It's big enough - but not too massive, has plenty of transport, the core is defendable - and has enough vehichles to stage a comeback. The node layout is inspired; with no bottlenecks; there's a "stonehenge" area where DM ers can run around without being an easy target for vehichles; no nodes can be destroyed from too far away.... It just works.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It's pretty easy to prevent the enemy from even gaining 2 tanks in Torlan. You need a node-network that ties the tank-node directly to the core. That would allow the team to gain control of the tank-node and some additional firepower ...

There may be some tweaks that can be done to either maps or gameplay that can make combacks easier, but it shouldn't be too easy. It still will depend on proper teamwork.

What ONS probably really needs is to have a 'guide' of sorts so (new) players at least have a chance of knowing where to be to attack/defend for their team. I think that Epic could learn a few things from the way Pariah's FLA works ...

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
If you linked the tank node to the core then you'd be royally Royally ****ed.

Unless you mean to the core and only the core.

Onslaught's imbalanced, Epic admitted that much, and they'll be totally reworking the next revision \o/