Major UT3 Update Details

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
What? Those "words" are what is already done, so how could it not "come together"?
I know, I know. I just mean that although they said its been fixed. I'm sure that upon release more than of the few "fixes" will take a dive in the first week though. Honestly I hope I'm wrong though.

I've been playing the series since unreal and I hope that it comes back strong.

Cryton

Loafing Bast
Nov 11, 1999
London, UK
www.fce2.eu
Epic could have left UT3 just the way it was on moved on but they didn't.

Move onto what exactly? IMO Epic need a PC game to showcase the Unreal engine as it evolves and improves so when the console refresh cycle comes around (2012?) they have a game that shows off what their engine can do. There always comes a time when your engine can do no more on any given console and you have to prepare for the next one.

Unreal 2 was a stinker, and if UT3 remained so poor I think it would be hard for people to ever trust the Unreal franchise again. In that case they'd have to come up with a whole load of new IP to make a PC game around - and it would probably be very much along the lines of the Unreal universe anyway.

Now they've made millions on GoW2 maybe they can afford to spend some time making the UT3 experience what it should have been, sweetening the bad taste left in peoples' mouths and laying the groundwork for the next iterations of both the Unreal engine and console gaming.

U

Unregistered

I wonder if they're finally going to increase the FOV limit.

Nice list, but I doubt it's going to bring more players, at least not in significant numbers.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Move onto what exactly? IMO Epic need a PC game to showcase the Unreal engine as it evolves and improves so when the console refresh cycle comes around (2012?) they have a game that shows off what their engine can do.

Steam integration out of the box would probably be a nice little bullet point on the engine features. There's a fair number of UE3 powered crossplatform titles already on Steam and probably more on the horizon (Mass Effect and Bioshock sequels) which would probably use the functionality to port over the 360 achievements.

I'm fairly certain that probably in a few years Steam is going to be the #1 seller of PC games. GameStop pretty much admitted this with the rumored decision to not stock Dawn of War II due to the retail version basically requiring Steam for activation. Although GameStop's PC section is abysmally crappy these days, so this decision probably doesn't hold much weight. Hell, my local Target has a better PC section than the local PawnStop.

Last edited:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
So far the list looks good of course, and it would be best to have it sooner rather than later, ie not months & months from now. Me, I'll hold off on the genuflecting until it's a reality instead of a thread on BU.

Move onto what exactly?

GOW and all subsequent sequels maybe?

Epic has made enough money from doing console that I am sure they could abandon Unreal all together and not be hurting. Not to mention New IP's that may be on the table and we know nothing about.

It's rather presumptuous to assume that they need to get the "trust" back for anything UT related.

People at Epic work on UT as a labor of love IMO. And anything they can do to improve the game the better it is for us.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Think of this as epic's way of saying "sorry we screwed up guys, here's a little gift. No hard feelings, okay?"

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Good flippin' grief! This is like the community said "Epic please fix", and Epic replied with "OK. Patch." :D

The effect (or lack thereof) that this patch will have will be interesting to see.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Good things come to those who wait.

I just hope the community is willing to give this an honest chance instead of whining about the 'improved GUI' once the patch is released ...

Still looks like a rather small list though.

U

Unregistered

I think the most common complaint will be that it's "too late" and "wtf patch for a game that nobody plays".
Can I repeat it again? :p Who cares how good game will be after the patch. It's just too late. If Epic wants to fix things, it should develop a new game. Period. What they're doing now is just an attempt to squeeze something out of the dead horse with limited budget.

Jul 8, 2008
Very hefty list of fixes, that is for sure.

As we all know the UT3 retail disc was labeled "RC7" or something like that...release candidate 7...

Which means this is actually the real game! Wow a bit late but better late then never.

I think the real problem at first was getting Gears 2 out because that is Epics bread and butter so UT3 got put on the backburner....now it looks like they have time to maybe do it right.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Well to be fair they had quite a few games come out at the same time:

Gears of War
Gears of War PC
Unreal Tournament 3 PC
Unreal Tournament 3 PS3
Unreal Tournament 3 360
Gears of War 2

And support the large Wiki list of Unreal Engine 3 licensees.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Do you think they'll also improve mod installation? I'm still latched onto the Maps, System, Textures, etc. setup. I still have no idea how to Install skins and I had to do extensive searching to figure out that the .ut3, .ini, and .upk components of a map all go into the same folder.

And it's good to know that Instant Action settings will be saved. I was getting tired of constantly going into Settings to set the Time limit to 0 and the Capture count in CTF to 10.

I also hope they've developed a definite fix for the campaign videos freezing. Because of that, I'm too scared to start a campaign game. When it freezes, I have to hard reset, and doing that in the past screwed up the entire OS, so it's no wonder I'm so skittish.

On another thought, I hope they include options for "Best performance" or "Best visuals", or at least optimize the game to work better on lower end computers like mine (I'm gonna upgrade it (again), but not until I have enough money).

Finally, even though I didn't have many problems with the menus in the first place, I can't wait to see what the new one will look like. Even though it's based off the old menu we have now, I hope it works like UT2004's did, including the tabs, Starting with Settings, with Controls being in its own tab in the Input menu and the Advanced options being moved into the main Video tab with a little checkbox to show and hide them, you get the idea. Oh, and I hope the Map description shows up in the Map selection screen again. I miss that the most...