Exactly what can you do with the x-loc?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
Exactly what can you do with the translocator? I thought it was a pretty tame toy until the last couple of days ... but two nights ago I saw someone literally flying through the air using the x-loc....

And last night I pistoned someone of a ledge on Face, and they turned and telefragged me from midair... shocking!

How do you learn to be this good with the x-loc? My attempts at anything more than using it to get quickly across the map end in failure, and I can't get up the travel speed with it that many people seem to. Is this a ping issue (I'm currently playing around 210 ping)

Are there any other tricks you can do with it?

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Hehe I was like that too, watching all the pro's "fly by" and kill me, WTF???? but I learned. Go play some Domination and learn how to use Xloc.
for example I can't do without the Xloc on DOM-Olden, It is really handy there to tele up the catwalks. Its also a cool tool to kill, like u said telekills own and are quite impressive (imo) . No matter how strong the opponent (Keg, Shield) 1 good placed Xloc will handle it ;)
If u wanna learn how to use it best, just use it, practice practice practice :)

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Some people are really good with the x-loc. They transport them self through the air, and they are good double x-locing to reach high places.
Another little trick I sometimes do:
When you are going into a battle with an enemy, throw your disc on the ground. Most ppl, except the vet's, can't resist the temptaion and start fire at your disc so you can take him out while he's trying to destroy your x-loc.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
well, i don't use it, imo its a cowardly weapon, it requires far more skill to use your skillz to get the the flag, catpuring point then to just transport there.
Facing enemy's, fraggin them, and then to stand half beaten by your goal, its more fun that way.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Originally posted by TTRStryker8
well, i don't use it, imo its a cowardly weapon, it requires far more skill to use your skillz to get the the flag, catpuring point then to just transport there.
Facing enemy's, fraggin them, and then to stand half beaten by your goal, its more fun that way.

U can also use it as a weapon, not only a device to get away. And I sure aint a coward when I hand someones ass to him 12 times in a match by telefrags ;)

Swedix: hell yeah thats fun :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Well, if the x-loc is enabled, you're crazy if you don't use it. Another similar tactic to the one Swedix mentioned, is tossing your x-loc around a corner, or behind an opponent. Usually people will turn to follow the beacon. When they do... aim and shoot. :)

The x-loc will allow you to run up the wall from any level in LavaGiant. It will allow you to go through windows, up to rafters, you name it.

A suggestion to you, iolair: Use the x-loc and hops for any and all movement. X-loc to anything you can't hop to. X-loc to the ammo ahead of you, x-loc to anything you see. Get used to using it for your only means of movement and you will have an advantage over your opponent. However, in a firefight or heavily congested areas, don't be foolish and throw your beacon where it will be destroyed or you'll find yourself telefragged.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
Originally posted by SU3000
Recalling a broken beacon ('primary firing it again') will result in a telefragdeath.

Damn, I never realised that before (just tried it now though)... So does that mean if your beacon is broken and lands somewhere unreachable-without-translocation, you're stuck without it? Or does the broken beacon eventually disappear?

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
What I like about the xloc is that u can get to enemy flag fully powered up, instead of having to fight your way in and lose 1/2 ur health and ammo on the way. In CTF, it has becomes such an essential part of the game.

A nice double will get u to the AMP in Face very quickly. (You can get up there with a single, but it's a little slower. A single will get you to AMP in November. Also on November, a good double will get you up the hole in the blue base. To get to the cliff in Lava Giant, it takes a triple. (3 throws, or boots and 2) Some people have told me that they can do it in 2, but that's pretty difficult. I've never been able to do it.

UT is such a fast paced game, You get an lpb with decent aim and a mini, you can be dead in a second or two. The xloc does give you more of a chance for survival. A chance to find a weapon. You can choose at what point, and place to do battle.

A good trick on defense is to drop it some where near the flag when u need to leave your position. If somebody grabs ur flag... u can get back in a hurry. The drawback is that people may find it and blow it up. Funny, Bots wont intentionally destroy it though.

One other thing, lag is a problem, especially if it's not constant. If you fire primary, and no beacon comes out... your in deep S***! Also, if you can out run your beacon.. GIVE IT UP

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by rhakka
if the beacon is fragged and you can't walk over it for some reason you are SOL.

if you press primary after you have a beacon out it will give the beacon back to you automaticly,i do it all the time when i use x-loc when it doesn't go where i want it to go

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
Originally posted by Ice Lord
if you press primary after you have a beacon out it will give the beacon back to you automaticly,i do it all the time when i use x-loc when it doesn't go where i want it to go

yes, but when you shoot a disc and an enemy destroys it (for example combo-ing the disc all over the place) you will die when you try to retrieve it using the left mouse button method. the only way to retrieve a broken disc is to walk over it. if it lands in an unreachable place (i.e. lava) you're SOL.

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by gramps

yes, but when you shoot a disc and an enemy destroys it (for example combo-ing the disc all over the place) you will die when you try to retrieve it using the left mouse button method. the only way to retrieve a broken disc is to walk over it. if it lands in an unreachable place (i.e. lava) you're SOL.

you sure?i never tested that but if it falls somewhere like in lava i thought it automaticly retrives it

damn...your right...

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Definitely only 2 to get up the wall on LavaGiant. Every time (Barring lag)

2 to get up the hole on November.
1 to the top of the amp on November.
1 to get up the hole in Command
1 to get to the amp on Face (& a jump)
2 or 3 from about 30ft down the hump on Face to the Redeemer (skywalking)