UT - XP: Who is the new King of the hill?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
T

Terminal {DTH}

Originally posted by Rooster
Terminal wrote:

Windows Millenium is actually the most effecient OS MS has ever written, even moreso than Windows 3.1.

Just because you have problems with it (and perhaps 10% of all other users) does not make it crap for everyone else.

Windows 2000 does NOT use system resources as effeciently as ... well... anything. It is a resource hog. It is bloated to the point of being the epitome of inefficiency. It takes approximately twice the RAM and 40% more CPU power to make a Win2K machine run like a Win9x/ME machine.

Now.. that being said - it's a VERY stable OS. Slow & steady wins the race right? Well, not for me. I'd settle for 95% of the stability, which I've got, and MUCH faster

what unmitigated bulsh|t. :stick:
Ok, so YOU appearently have no problems. well count your blessings boy-o becasue the OVERWELMING majority of users who know agree at ME's UNstability and IT being the resource hog.
not setting it up correctly my @ss. that op-sys is MENT to be the easist and if it uses resources so much better then tell me why i my computer lagged running multiple programs (of various kinds) at once? and yet that same combination in 2k ran smoothly, without a single fart.

Ive used all of them, and for no small ammount of time to get to know as much as possible about the strong & weak points of all (except for the new XP, im staying away from that for a time until the patches are released.)

so tell me Sensi-Guru *scarcasm* what is the 'correct' way to set that buggy code that microsoftie excremented out.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
the OVERWELMING majority of users who know agree at ME's UNstability and IT being the resource hog.

I hear this all the time from a small % of IT snobs, but it *is* a small %. It's just not my experience. Everytime we get a group of UT users together and talk about this issue, I hear that so and so has returned to ME for gaming because, as Roo says, you've got 95% of the stability and more speed with ME over Win2K. I've had to return to dual-boot land with XP (our original topic) because of the Glide support issue. However, once I upgrade my video card (to ATI 8500 depending on whether they actually do roll out a 64 meg All In Wonder variety of it), I'll be leaving ME behind. It has served me well, but I'm ready for a single boot OS and Win2K ain't it (at least not for UT).

What you don't know, Term, is that Rooster was a Win2K evangelist for quite awhile himself. I don't know what happened, but (like most UT Win2K users that *I* know), he returned to WinME. Roo knows his stuff (not bad for a MN guy ;)).

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
DAMMIT TERMINAL!!!

Read Roo's post again. See how he disagrees with you, but at no point puts you down or attacks you personally.

Now read your post. See how you are a total snot and attack him personally. You call his opinion bull****, you talk down to him by calling him "boy-o", and you sarcastically call him "Sensi-Guru", and have obnoxious comments like "my ass".

Crap like that is ruining this forum. If you want to disagree with someone, then just disagree with them and respectfully state your differing opinion, like Phydeaux did. Phydeaux totally disagrees with Roo, but he is still respectful. Roo disagrees with Phydeaux and he is still respectfull. You are being an argumentative jerk and making this personal.

This is your warning. Us mods are really getting sick of every damn thread in this forum getting personal and nasty. PuF did not used to be like this. You are relatively new, so I guess you have no way of knowing how it used to be. BUT PEOPLE HERE USED TO BE NICE DAMMIT!

Off Topic is out of hand, I thought here, in the UT forum, in a technical thread about videocards I would be free from the crap that is RUINING PuF!!!

PLAY NICE OR GO HOME!

T

Terminal {DTH}

well whatever Phydeaux. if it works better for some of you, go for it. youre MORE then welcome to it becuase on My machine it is THE buggiest piece of software ive ever had the extreme displeasure to use. :hmm:

i canNOT imagian its just a matter of tweeking the settings of winblowsME (suposid becuase WHAT setting beyond the VM will make Any sort of differance in general system stability & speed whatsoever?!? ). the ONLY thing i found that stabilised ME for a time was installing office 2k on top of it...... which for some bizzar reason it dosnt like to do. *shrug*

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Again, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on the WinME debate, Roo.

After doing networking support at a 56,000 student college and a 16,000 student college and now working in the full technical support center for a world wide real estate company, I've come across enough stability and compatibility issues with Windows Millenium Edition that we are not supporting it for end users at this point.

The main problem is that Windows ME has a host of "features" that have been bundled into the operating system that can easily result in imcompatibilities between various programs. In other words, while it's working, ME runs fine, but it tends to turn a small problem into the kind of thing that ends up requiring an uninstallation of a program to fix.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
I'm using WinME for one thing at present - UT. I'm using XP for everything else because it is just that little bit more stable, and because I like the purty, resource-hogging interface, and because I like the little user-friendly improvements. That's just me.

Now it's worth mentioning that there are a couple of flavors of ME floating around. As with XP, I bought a pre-release beta of ME and used that for awhile, then reverted to 98SE when ME came out, then bought something that Dave from KD Computers that he referred to in the store as WinME SE. Now, I've bought enough hardware from Dave to know that he knows his stuff and we *all* know that there really isn't an ME SE. I was curious, and I asked him about it. He admitted it really wasn't SE but was simply a later build. Whatever it is, it's been very stable for me (regardless of whether Office 2K was installed on it or not - I've done it both ways and there was not discernable difference). Having said that, there are a number of versions of ME out there - perhaps you have a different version than I do. That's entirely possible.

It depends on what's valuable to you. I have found ME to be the fastest MS OS to date to have any degree of stability (and frankly, 95% stable is enough for UT). Granted, it's not up to Win2K standards for that, but I get markedly better framerates in UT at the lower resolutions and that's all I cared about.

As for XP, it's been fast enough for everything else, but none of those things have particularly required a high framerate (Max Payne, SWAT 3) and I don't really have anything to come it to. If it only did Glide...

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
It's actually possible to create an "updated" version of any of the MS Windows versions with any and all patches pre-installed. There's a how-to out there on how to create the install CD-Rom to do this, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. We've used this method to create MS Win2k CD-Roms with Service Packs 1 and 2 pre-installed.

Yes, there's no question that ME is faster than 2000. I'm not so convinced about the difference between ME and 98SE, though. My experience, however, comes from dealing with user's computers "in the field".

Right now, I only have XP RC2 on my Microsoft machine. I'm more than happy with 60-70 FPS in UT and 35-50 FPS under Tribes 2 within XP, so rebooting just for those games became less of a requirement.

T

Terminal {DTH}

there is SC? ild REALLY like to know how that is done. because Phydeaux is no doubt correct about there being differant versions of ME, admitidly this IS the first time heard of that however but i cant say that it surprises me.

as for ME being faster, i'm REAL interested to know how That is accomplished, im MY experiance it is not.

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
While there are different versions available, the retail versions of Windows ME that you find in the typical stores are all of the same version.

I'm sure the Microsoft Developers Network (MSDN) library has the latest build of each of the OS's available to members.

T

Terminal {DTH}

Hmmm..... well considering it was a gift and i cant get in touch with that person anylonger i can only Assume it is the retail version, even tho it very well may NOT be. :hmm: damnit. and of corse there is no way of knowing short of installing the buggy program (again), and that is defiantly something i am Not interested in doing.

i was Forced, due to not having any options left at the time, to run that blinking op-sys, i think it took less then a week for me to get frustrated enough that i wanted to kick the tower. i had fantsies simular to LawnmowerMan whare i could digitise my hand and forcibly RIP the code out of my machine. "]- what can i say, i have a very active immgination :D

Oh, and thanx for that link Cosmic, appreciate that. i"ll check it out in a bit.