Beagle-1!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Sebu

If you are asking me how many sections I have in the big terrain box, it's 10x10. Since it was gonna be an open outdoor map, I couldn't risk using too many sections and getting a heavy slow down caused by high polys. I could possibly get away with more sections but 10x10 will do for now.:)

Making an open map like mine, you'd really need to be aware of the number of polys you are using since they are all visible with no objects blocking your view.

Cunubelin

Absens haeres non erit (Soccerdad)
Sep 19, 1999
Sweden
No thread in the betamaps forum.... yet

Wake up Los! ;)
Here's a map that REALLY should get some serious attention!

Beagle...
Amazing map! I had a really horrible day at the beach earlier... Assaulting the beach I won 1 round of 10. It was chaos and Mayhem (hehehe)!
Bodies floating facedown in the 'surf', lead raining horizontally everywhwere!

Just plain WOW! :)

What I miss a little is some ambient background noise. You know, artillery, large calibre gunfire and small arms fire.

It would be great if you could see the warships out on the sea. Like that map INF_NormandyD.unr.
Does anyone remember that one? Not very realistic with the strange elevators and all that but it WAS a map loosely based on the D-day theme with a beach assault and climb/ride up some cliffs to a bunker.
There were two landingboats that went back and forth between the beach and a ship so you could fight both on land and on the ship.

I don't mean that you should make your map THAT complicated but merely add some ships for effect.
Now, if you could make the ships do a naval bombardment of the beach..... ;P

I think I'm going to assault the beach again now!
See you all in the afterlife! ;)

Peace!
C.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Cunubelin

Thanks for playing.:)
I don't know what Los is up to but he still hasn't responded to my calls.:(
But I've got a few emails of praise and criticism on DM-INF-Landing, and I appreciate them very much.

The ambient sound is nill at the moment(aside from the sound of the waves) as this is an early beta map. I've got some cool gunfiring sounds and artillery sounds and stuff, so I'll be adding them later on. The texture of the water will be tweaked to give some life as well.
Higgins boats will have to have more details such as the engine on the back. That will probably take some time.
There are some who favor more cover for the landing team, and I'll see what I can do.
But as for now, I believe this map's already fun to play since there has never been such an open and one-sided map before.:D

and it makes me happy knowing that you guys enjoyed playing this beta map.:)

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
nah, i think the attacking team has too much cover already.
Remember, online players may use the higgins boats as cover - and try to shoot from the concealment of the water.
Is it possible you could put in halfway transparent water?

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by Beagle_One

Prefabs of what? A Higgins boat?
You'd have to teach me how to save one.:D

U can't export it using UED2?
Hey, maybe I can lend u my truck(slighty modified EP vehicl) :D

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
HoldHoldHoldHold
U can export,
U don't know how to export it.
Did I get it right? :D
Didn't B'O gives u an tutorial on how to do it the other time?

ANUBIS199

Jun 3, 2001
Visit site
On the topic of the attacking teams cover. Why not jsut throw in some shell craters? It would be really cool to run from one crater to the next.I havnt played the map yet so I'm not sure if my idea would work.

Just a thought.

ANUBIS

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I recall something about making a cube around the object and then doing something to make a flower appear in the air and all...

I'll have to go back to that thread and check.:D

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by ANUBIS199
On the topic of the attacking teams cover. Why not jsut throw in some shell craters? It would be really cool to run from one crater to the next.I havnt played the map yet so I'm not sure if my idea would work.

Just a thought.

ANUBIS

Yes, I thought of creating craters. It'll take a bit of work to make it look realistic while keeping the poly count down. I'll try it later.:)

ps. I did make some craters with smoke rising but it didn't look real at all, so I got rid of them.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
A suggestion for the crater.
How about just an 6-8 sided brush with slanted base?

1...../
1.../
1./

Or u can just used a box like what B'O used for EP. That seems to work well without taking too much polys.

\_/

*all diagram not drawn to scale. :D

wint-o-green

I'd rather be playing H&D 2
May 12, 2001
Guardania Castle
Sorry Beagle, but I must post these screenshots from my Dog Green Sector map. Based totally on the beginning of SPR.

I have not played yours yet but it looks very fun :)

BTW the real deal didn't have any cover on the way up the beach, you ran your ass off to that sand dune!

Last edited: