UT on the Mac

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Well I've been absent from the board for a while. Missed everyone!

My new computer arrived today and is a PowerMac G4. I've switched from PC. I hope I don't regret it!

The point of this post? Well I haven't had time to look through all the boards posts yet (I am at work) but was wondering if anyone has any Mac specific tips.

My system is:

867 Mhz G4
128MB RAM (until later tonight)
60GB drive
64MB GeForce 3

Since I am so new to the Mac I didn't know what to expect. I bought UT when I ordered the machine and during setup it detected RAVE. Is this comparible to OpenGL? Does UT run in OpenGL on the Mac? I'll be looking for OpenGL drivers later.

Any thoughts are welcome!

AmigaOne|PuF

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
From your specs it looks like you shouldn't have any problems..
Especially if "until later tonight" means you're upping the RAM to 256.
I can't help you with the GL issue, but I'll tell you if I can run UT on this iMac
you should sittin pretty!:D

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
UT Performance on my Mac

Well I'm actually in the middle of reloading my Mac. I blew the initial load away because the factory load is never how I like things set up. However I did play with UT for a while and it runs beautifully with the RAVE driver. I did add more RAM so I'm sitting at 384 now. I am going to try to get the GL driver working because I'd like to try getting the hires textures working from the second cd of my PC version if it is even possible.

So far I like this Mac. Very different than what I'm used to.

Franko

Jul 25, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
Macs/UT

Find all kinds of info at the link here at PlanetUnreal; look for osX link. Bunch a Mac UT guys there, who are friendly at passing out advice. Also visit MacAddict and the gaming area, there's much there also. You might consider a different mouse from Logitech or Microsoft, and if you have any probs with them get USB Overdrive so all the buttons work right.

I also use a G4 to get work done, and a pc for gaming, but occasionally sneak in a UT game online while at the office:D

Franko

Jul 25, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
open GL

Also, open GL has come a long way in the last year, but where to get the latest drivers I can't tell ya off hand. I do fine with Rave. Visit XLR8yourmac site at http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi - and cruise the forums for much advice on UT/macs and open GL, and getting the most out of yer Mac. There's a lot of cross-platform users there also.

Also here' the MacAddict address:

http://www.macaddict.com/

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Thanks

Well I'd like to thank you all for the helpful replies. I'll check all your suggestions out. It does appear that the RAVE driver is very tightly optimized for exactly what they give you. For kicks I manually edited the .ini file to force UT into a resolution past 1024X768 using RAVE and boy did it die. I think I was getting less than 25 fps after trying that. All in all though it seems to run well. It does load the game and levels faster on the mac than it did on my PC and my PC was a 1Ghz P3 with 512MB of RAM.

Later!