ChaosUT Bastard Sword Bug

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
When I'm using the bastard sword, I notice that when I put up my block and then press the primary fire to swing while the block is up, it will swing and the block state is active even when I'm not doing anything at all until I use the block button again.

Does anyone have some type of fix for this?

BTW this is with the latest ChaosUT version. (1.1)

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I don't think too many people play that mod. I've never seen it used online. As far as I know it's been almost universally rejected, at least by people who play it in online multiplayer (which is how UT is meant to be played).

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
It seems to occur, every now and then.

Edit: Nah seriously, just fired up ChaosUT 1.1 and everything seemed fine.

bastardbug.jpg

Last edited:

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
Was ChaosUT the mod that had RocketArena in it? I remember playing it years ago after getting the GotY edition that packaged ChaosUT with it. RocketArena seemed like a cool concept; wonder if anyone's still playing.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Nah seriously, just fired up ChaosUT 1.1 and everything seemed fine.
What? Why does it always work for me? Are you sure you did it correctly? Just hold down the block button and press the primary fire while it's up and then take some hits with the other bots bastard sword or something blockable. If the projectile/sword gets blocked most of the time while you're not doing anything and taking the hits FROM THE FRONT, I might add, then you did it right. The bastard sword won't block attacks from the back of course.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Suddenly...

Suddenly...I'm interested in this question based on the banner in my signature. I have not had this issue but I will look into it further and I have the several of the original makers of Chaos in my back pocket too! Go to my Chaos server and see if it happens there too please and let me know. We'll drill down to the bottom of this!

~Peace~

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Suddenly...I'm interested in this question based on the banner in my signature. I have not had this issue but I will look into it further and I have the several of the original makers of Chaos in my back pocket too! Go to my Chaos server and see if it happens there too please and let me know. We'll drill down to the bottom of this!

~Peace~
Yep, it seems to be on your server as well. I enacted the glitch every time I got my hands on a sword during a quick play on your server and when I saw a bot I held the primary fire. It still blocked some bullets. It also blocked a sword attack. I can't really say for sure though because it's hard to sometimes find the sword (if it's even on the current map) and, even more difficult, to find a bot with a weapon that the sword can actually block.

You can find this out better than I can by far though. Just start a quick Sword Arena in Morbias with a bot and enact the glitch I've talked about above. If it works, that sucks. If it doesn't, hooray for you. Bad for me. All I know is that it works every time for me on my game.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Should have....

I should have joined you earlier when I saw you on the server. I knew you were testing but I was busy updating a Chaos server I have for UT2004 at the time.

I'll do 2 things here. I'll test it myself per your suggestionand I'll take it to a Chaos founder and see what they have to say about it as well. Give me some time but I'll be back with some kind of answer I hope. I trust you felt the server ran well as a whole? Any suggestions?

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I should have joined you earlier when I saw you on the server. I knew you were testing but I was busy updating a Chaos server I have for UT2004 at the time.

I'll do 2 things here. I'll test it myself per your suggestionand I'll take it to a Chaos founder and see what they have to say about it as well. Give me some time but I'll be back with some kind of answer I hope. I trust you felt the server ran well as a whole? Any suggestions?
Well, did you make the relics invisible? It seems they are and I randomly obtain/encounter them. lol Also, please don't put Weapon Stay on because I assume you have the weapon cycle on rotate instead of replace. This doesn't allow for any, you know, chaos. Also, the grapple seems to be different from the original Chaos one. Is that normal? And, finally, I would suggest you take out Volatile Weapon because it really takes the fun out of beating an old chap to a pulp with your sword only to have his rocket launcher malfunction all over your face. :\ Otherwise, nice server indeed.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Good deal!

That was great feedback! I had not considered the weapon stay thing. I have turned it off. I removed the volatile ammo and weapons too. The weapons are set to replace. The grapple is totally different because it won't work at all if the player doesn't have the mod installed already so Ichanged it with one I had from a while back. I actually prefer the stand in one more.

I don't know yet about the relics. I'm guessing I didn't copy something somewhere and will look into it tonight.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
That was great feedback! I had not considered the weapon stay thing. I have turned it off. I removed the volatile ammo and weapons too. The weapons are set to replace. The grapple is totally different because it won't work at all if the player doesn't have the mod installed already so Ichanged it with one I had from a while back. I actually prefer the stand in one more.

I don't know yet about the relics. I'm guessing I didn't copy something somewhere and will look into it tonight.
Yeah, actually, I had some fun with the grapple by using it as a weapon. :D Speaking of which, what did you do about the sword bug?

To content creators everywhere though, test, test, test I say. Test the feel, test the geometry, test whatever. Just test your creations. I know a lot of mods and levels that could have been better if the author had just tested it thoroughly before releasing it. There's a great level called DM-Alice for UT2004. It had all of the weapons it needed except, weirdly enough, the minigun even though it was a big level and there was plenty of spots to put it in. A small mistake but a mistake nonetheless that could have been avoided by simply testing.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
There's a great level called DM-Alice for UT2004. It had all of the weapons it needed except, weirdly enough, the minigun even though it was a big level and there was plenty of spots to put it in. A small mistake but a mistake nonetheless that could have been avoided by simply testing.
Maybe the author specifically chose not to include the minigun?

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Balance? Author doesn't like the minigun? Could have been overpowered due to the layout?

I haven't played the map so I don't know, but I can think of a lot of reasons to not use a specific gun in a multiplayer map that aren't just sheer laziness.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Balance? Author doesn't like the minigun? Could have been overpowered due to the layout?

I haven't played the map so I don't know, but I can think of a lot of reasons to not use a specific gun in a multiplayer map that aren't just sheer laziness.
Who said it was laziness? Maybe he simply forgot. Who knows?