Will people ever be happy?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BeerGun

consultant in beerology
Feb 2, 2000
Toronto area
Visit site
IMHO demos are a very effective way of evaluating software before you buy it. The UT demo was awesome and provoked me to run out and purchase it. The Q3 demo gave my machine the dry heaves, and because of that I didn't waste money buying it.
Ion Storm are making a huge mistake in releasing a demo over 100megs. Despite popular belief, there is still a large population of 56k users out there, that are using 56k not because they are cheap, but simply because there is no other alternative. No sensible 56k user is going to download a file that size, and take the risk of a corrupted file that sometimes goes along with the inevitable reconnects. Therefore, there's a huge section of the gaming community that won't get a chance to check out this new game via the demo, and likely won't end up buying it because of that. The UT demo was half this size, and consequently grabbed a large amount of 56k customers. I don't expect this will happen with Daikatana... :)

bullet2.gif

"It's hard to beat a person until they go unconscious. After that, it gets a little easier."

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Beer, I disagree. Just because a demo is large doesn't mean people won't buy the product.

Look at The Sims. Look at NFS:porsche Unleashed - I went out and bought it the day it came out. No demo needed. I'll buy Diablo II without a demo. I'll get UO2 without a demo. I'll buy UT2 without a demo (whenever it comes out).

Just because it's large doesn't mean they're alienating - you're thinking the glass is half empty. They've put it out there so that those that WANT to download it can. There's lots of programs out there to help get large files like this. As well, you can bet it will be on some magazine CD as a demo. Why skimp on a demo if it's not going to show what you want? (Which is why I ask myself why did ION release a Daik-demo).

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
I don't think there is anything wrong with a large demo and I have a 56.6K modem, I use Gozilla (love the ROOOOOAAR!) and have absolutely no problems downloading files. I just start the download right before I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning, VIOLA! I've never had any major problems.

Besides like someone mentioned, even if you have problems downloading it, 99 time out of 100 the demo is going to be on a readily available demo CD in a gaming magazine.

Hey the bigger the demo is the better as far as I'm concerened, how can you possibly want to critisize a company for trying to give you a larger part of their game for free?

Goes back to my original post in this thread PEOPLE WILL NEVER BE HAPPY!!! There will always be something to complain about. Why don't we all start trying to make an effort to look at the glass as half full?