Ever run a marathon?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

desperado

Dec 29, 1999
q
Visit site
I've been running regulary for a few months and now I'm slowly preparing for my first marathon. For now my weekly distance doesn't exceed 50km to avoid injuries (did more and paid a heavy price) but I hope to increase it over the next few months. So any Buffers every did a marathon? Share your training/race experience :)

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
50km? wow. the farthest I ran at once in one day was only like 2 miles.
Besides that, I biked 30 miles on a bike-hike thing in the summer from the hotel to some little village (i throo up too, plus it was a terribly hot summer day with a thick plastic/foam bucket on my head)
I swam about 1.5/2 miles so I can swim well, but I did not really 'swim' most of the way, I prefer diving.

DedMeat

Dapper Rat
May 9, 2000
Great Britain
The longest competitive race I've been in was only 10 miles.....no "wall" like in the marathon.
As for training, well, I didnt do any as I was in the Army at the time - 10 miles was like a stroll in the park ;) I wouldn't like to try it now tho.

You're right to pace yourself and build the distance slowly. Also, wear good running shoes. Both my knees make outrageous clicking noises from too much road running in heavy boots.

Good luck.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
I used to run the mile on a regular basis.In the Air Force we did a 10k for cancer run and that was the longest run I ever did.Now...perhaps I could make the fridge in 3 seconds :D

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Good luck to you. I can walk and swim a fair distance, but I can only run for a very short time and get a stitch in my side before then :eek:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I ran cross-country in high school, but the races were only 5km. Now I still run a little to stay in shape. I've ran hard on a training day for like 15 miles (25 km?) but never raced for more than 5. And a race is something VERY different.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
I ran the London Marathon in '99 ... my time was 4 hours 31 minutes which is pretty average (my position was 18000ish out of 31000 finishers).

I trained 3 runs a week...

Sunday mornings ... long slow run (typically 15 - 23 miles).
Tuesday evenings ... speed run (2 - 3 miles flat-out cross country)
Thursday evenins ... run of 3 - 5 miles at my predicted marathon pace.

The total amount I was running in training was much less than most training programmes recommend, but it seemed to work out quite well. The most important part of the training is your long run to build endurance, which should be slower than your target marathon pace to prevent injury.

You'll want to do a couple of shorter races a while before the event, maybe half-marathon or 20 miles....

You want to time your training so your longest training run is around 3 weeks before the marathon (certainly not less than 2 weeks).

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
Oh, how did the race go?

Well, I did the first half in under two hours, and up to 18 miles I was still bouncing.... However 18 to 23 miles was starting to get uncomfortable though it wasn't a major problem.

The last three miles hurt! ... I ended up walking some of the time, particularly in the last mile, my legs were in agony and it was a real struggle to keep running.

It was more relief, than any sense of achievement, when I ran over the finish line! Here's the photo (that's me in the green top). On the bright side, I raised about £1400 for a cancer charity.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
In the computer chair marathon I can go for about 1-2 miles at a whopping speed of .75 MPH.