Multithread Performance on UT2007 with Dual-Cores?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
I know quite much about Dual-Core and up to now, they cost a lot and only give gains in multi-threaded stuff or like when playing a game while burning cds, wont lag or make you lose fps... but if you get one of those just to play a game, it won't help you at all.

The question is that UT2007 will be Multi-threaded as Epic said, they also said games won't start to be multithreaded until end of 2006. Since UT2007 will be, I'm wondering how much performance gain will it bring to it ? Cause everyone know like if you have an Athlon64 and Window XP 64bit with all 64bit drivers but the game ain't optimised for 64 bits, you won't get any gain...

Else if it ain't going to bring big boost to UT2007, I think I'll never get a Dual-Core system. Anyway, the benchmark about this really ain't for tomorow lol.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Pretty sure you will get rather large performance boosts with dual core processors, of course not 100% increase, but almost certainly enough to warrent spending the extra $$$.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Just make sure you go AMD because they're kicking Intel's ass right now and I'm sure the trend will continue into the future. :p

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
The new dual core Athlons are much cheaper than many thought they would be. The top of the range X2 (what its called just in case u didn't know), has performance index of 4800. It has 2 cores at 2.4 GHz each which is the same as the AMD64 4000. Of course it has 2 of these, enabling it to run multi thread apps. In single thread programs such as current games it will run about the same as the 4000, only you won't have to worry about background programs, like your OS and msn or whatever you leave running.
UT2007 will almost certainly be multi threaded. For example one core will run the AI with the other core doing the other aspects.

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
MuLuNGuS said:

Already seen 2 of those sites. Of course I'll never buy anything from Intel lol, their processor are less good and much more expensive lol, gotta be an ******* to buy from Intel, mostly if your a gamer.

For the one that said Dual Core aren't expensive as people had thought... you pay the first core at 100% and the second (which is exactly the same) you pay it like 60% but it still make a lot. Currently its:

CPU Clock speed L2 cache size Price
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz 512KB $537
Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz 1024KB $581
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 512KB $803
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4GHz 1024KB $1001

I don't know exactly these price in Canadian, but I'd rather go for a single Athlon64 4000+ which perform faster than then 4800+. I dunno why they call it 4800+ since its the "same" core as the 4000+ but you have 2 instead of 1, so where is the "800+" gain lol... just make confusion for us. I think too that dual-cores will bring better performance at UT2007 but I don't think it will be worth the extra $. Since it will be the first game multithreaded and before the other compagnies start to make games supporting that, it's gonna take a good while. So I'd say that if you really want a dual-core, wait for the next AMD socket, forgot the name of it in english but it start with a "M" and it will support ram DDR2.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
M2 socket iirc

The extra speed is not shown in games. Just look at the benchmarks involving using more than one program at once. On one they are encoding a DVD whilst playing Counterstrike. On the Single core AMD counterstrike was unplayable. On the dual core the reviewer forgot whether he had started the encoding and had to check.

For actual ingame performance until multi threading is fully supported in programs get a high spec single core and pocket the money. If you want to run a couple of programs at once get the dual core, or a intel with hyperthreading - shudders due to though of bad game performance

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
In single threaded applications and specifically gaming the FX-55 is king, in encoding etc the hyperthreading was king. Now with the Dual Cores there's a new option, significant increases in system interactive performance and damn fine performer elsewhere too.

To answer the thread - UE3 supports multthreading, there's an example 'battlebot' type game showing the multithreading capability, meaning the game should always run smooth, and always have good FPS.

It *will* multithread.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Sure it will, but there's only so many things you can do at anyone time simply because everything is linked to one item, especially in games.

I'd think that the one thing that will benifit from dual cores is AI and servers running multiple levels at once ...

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Butcher. said:
In bench marks the FX-55 has beaten a dual core Intel (don’t know which model)
You don't need a $1000 processor to do that. I saw a benchmark awhile back where a regular 2.8 GHz P4 beat a 2.8 GHz dual-core in a single-threaded application.