Just some Pre-Purchase Questions...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFried!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
Okay, I have read through some of the posts here and have a few questions. I am tired of getting burnt on games so I figured I would ask around before buying. So here are my questions. BTW, If you can't give intelligent reasons why you may or may not like UT please don't respond. I am sure we don't need flaming in here.
1. I enjoy team play, I don't especially like DM. In your opinions does UT hold up against Team Gaming like Tribes or Team Fortress?
2 What, in your opinion, is the best Team mode in UT? And why?
3 Where do you guys who are in Clans play? Meaning like organized ladders?
4 I enjoy the comraderie of being in a clan. (I have played Tribes for the past 10 or 11 months, and thoroughly enjoy the friendships made playing with your homies) On that note is there a good starting point in locating prospective UT clans to join? (My Tribe is not making the Transition to UT, and I am bored with Tribes).
5 All the business about lag and stuff. I have a Celery 400, 128 Meg RAM, Creative 3D Blaster Savage 4 PRO w/32 MEG RAM, 2 STB BlackMagic VooDoo 2's SLI, and Run on a Cable Modem. I am pretty sure I will have no problem runnin the game itself on my machine, but what I am interested in is will I be able to run a fairly lag free server off this machine for about 10 to 12 people.

Well thats it Thanks for any help.

------------------
Chaos, Panic And Disorder...My Work Here Is Done.

BoBVila ]|[ Arena

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
1) With all team games, you can have fun or not, depending on the teams. Assault is very fun, there is one team for speciically attacking and one for only defending. Tehn you switch.
2) Above hehe
3) Messageboards like here and at Unrealtournament.net
4) NWA rox ya balls /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
5) Probably not with cable, as it usually only hold 8 people well...there are nice servers that can hold 16 silk smooth, and you'll discover that that is the perfect number, if not slighty higher. 12 to 16 works incredibly well as the levels are not that huge.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
1. Very much so. A good team vs. another good team makes for some EXREMELY fun gaming. The combination of powerful weapons, creative maps, and quick gameplay add up to a very nice experience. Of course, you have to plug in several decent players with a team mentality for it to work! But, when it does....!

2. First, they all are very, very good. I like Assault for quick, mission-based games.
CTF is, well...CTF! The translocator (the subject of many heated debates) is a good alternative to the grapple/beamer. There are some OUTSTANDING maps for CTF.
Domination is a little more frantic due to the close domination points.
For me...Domination and CTF win by a hair.

3.Not in a clan...N/A

4.Forums are good, but just try looking in the browser for who is actually playing. Check out the global ngStats that UT ships with and look for clan tags to see who is actually playing often and who isn't.

5.I have a similar system. haven't tried running a server, but from my experience, the gameplay is USUALLY better on dedicated servers. That may not be enough RAM or bandwidth if you plan on playing on the same machine.

GetFried!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
Hey thanks for the input guys, I have decided to go ahead and buy it. I will be picking it up tonight, so you guys will be seeing me around here quite often now. (I am quite the forum whore /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif). So I'll shout at yahs later.

bullet2.gif

Chaos, Panic And Disorder...My Work Here Is Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.