Launch Day DLC for Mass Effect 2 Will Be Free

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Kotaku quotes official Mass Effect 2 twitter post, that confirms that there will be DLC available at launch day and that it will be free of charge at least on that day:

Addressing rumors: BioWare will not be charging extra for any new Mass Effect 2 content on launch day. More DLC details next week.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
One of those attacks on the used game market, of which the PC doesn't have one really.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Free on release day only? That's a new one..

I think that they mean that any Day 1 DLC will be free--period (or at least provided you bought it new if DA:O is any hint). Versus later DLC which will be much less free.

~Jason

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
You'd think they would do that as a pre-order bonus from certain vendors/retailers, perhaps Amazon or Newegg would give you a coupon code, and you'd use that to get your DLC download with. I believe Amazon does give you something for pre-order, when I was looking...oh, for the Collector's Edition, you get an Inferno Armour bonus, that's what it was. Looks like it could be worth it, tho. We'll see...

Abvex

Feb 18, 2008
The Collectors Edition comes with its own armor, not the inferno. Here is the full rundown straight from the source http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/collectors/

I kinda wished the Collectors edition had the inferno and terminus armor and the special weapon that comes with the terminus armor.
Gamespot is becoming more and more annoying by the day with these "special" in-game content.

There is always the console command right? :)

Last edited:

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
If Dragon Age is anything to go by, at least for the pc you'll be able to get all the pre-order stuff from torrents. >_>

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Gamespot is becoming more and more annoying by the day with these "special" in-game content.

Gamestop. I know they're nearly identical names though, gladly enough they're not as miserable (Gamespot - review site). Gamestop's main clientele is based on how popular they are and their stupid pre-order bonus. Valve is also starting this **** trend on Steam.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Release day DLC: lame
Pre-order/special-edition unlock codes: lame

But release day DLC is worse, it means they are releasing a partial game. In the future you lose the rest of the game because the download is no longer available.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
What I found -weird- is how in this interview here, his first mention (I'm aware they might just have cut it on there) is that they're already working on Mass Effect 3, and that they have ton of DLC planed for Mass Effect 2.

Last edited:

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Free on release day only? That's a new one..

I think that they mean that any Day 1 DLC will be free--period (or at least provided you bought it new if DA:O is any hint). Versus later DLC which will be much less free.

~Jason

I am not sure, however the sentence pretty much says they will not charge on launch day with no indication on what will be after said day.

But release day DLC is worse, it means they are releasing a partial game.

Remember Dragon Age: Origins with NPC that was a salesman for the DLC?

Last edited:

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
Just hope all their dlc doesn't turn into drama like Return to Ostagar.

You mean this:

704358679_ayGHY-L.jpg

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
It could just be a regular patch/hotfix they've been working on since the game has gone gold. Might as well call it dlc.

I'm all for DLC as long as it's worth my cash. If I'm really into a game and would like to get more out of it, I'd gladly shell out a few extra bucks for some extra chapters or whatever, obviously if it's genuinely good and not a quick cash grab shovelware thing. I'm looking at you, pinnacle station.

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
The Collectors Edition comes with its own armor, not the inferno. Here is the full rundown straight from the source http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/collectors/

I kinda wished the Collectors edition had the inferno and terminus armor and the special weapon that comes with the terminus armor.

There is always the console command right? :)

According to Amazon, it does use the Inferno, linky and source:

Amazon.com Pre-Order Bonus said:
Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Mass Effect 2 and get Inferno Armor, which monitors and regulates sub-systems to allow for greater response times. Additionally it is able to recognize elevated heart rates and pupil movement in people close by, almost acting like a lie detector. Access code will be e-mailed within 10 business days after the game releases. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Limit one per customer.

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263829599&sr=8-3

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Release day DLC: lame
Pre-order/special-edition unlock codes: lame

But release day DLC is worse, it means they are releasing a partial game. In the future you lose the rest of the game because the download is no longer available.

That's assuming you can even get the DLC to begin with ...
Live! isn't available everywhere Xbox-consoles are sold (I think Greece is one example).

News-items like this kind of remind me of politicians who always tend to compare crap to even bigger examples of crap in order to justify their stupidity ..

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I must admit to being a little...annoyed at the Day one DLC strategy. Look, I get that they want to make as much money as possible (and that they deserve), and that you don't get that from used game sales; but gimping the game if someone buys it used is pretty shady. I thought, okay, maybe Shale really WAS thought of too late to put in the game. But now there is the same deal with another character in the very next game and a vehicle that is being described as essential for getting around and well.

I love you Bioware, I love your games and I'm glad that this stuff isn't being charged to new buyers--but this is pretty bad.

What's next for ME3? The ending is free* day one DLC?

~Jason

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
That's assuming you can even get the DLC to begin with ...
Live! isn't available everywhere Xbox-consoles are sold (I think Greece is one example).

Yep, Russia is one of these countries. These countries often don't get any bonus content at all even if it's part of CE - anything that has to be downloaded via Marketplace is gone in collectors editions for these countries. Those who bought Fable II CE here last holiday season, or Forza 3 CE couple of months ago were pissed off by that, especially since f.e. Forza CE costed 83$ here - I got it cheaper from US. This can be bypassed partially by registering account to the country where LIVE is officially available (f.e. mine is US), but for about a year now for any M-rated content MS does IP geocheck, so for all the M-stuff I usually get "unavailable for your location" (although it seems this only happens when the stuff is priced - if it's free I can get it even if it's M-rated). Same goes with last.fm As for ME2, luckily I have a good enough rig, so I'm going for PC version, but X360 users here are effectively screwed - they won't get any bonus content except poster and an artbook in CE.

What's next for ME3? The ending is free* day one DLC?
~Jason
I'd say that's pretty much what it is with Assasins Creed 2. We will have to get used to that - both DA:O and AC2 rely on DLC, with some of it going live on first day. Bioshock is aiming at something similar. Even Epic did the same - hence the Flashback mappack. This is a strategy to fight with used game sales and pirated copies. And actually I'll prefer it be that way instead of copy protections, as long as Microsoft will stop treating customers in countries w/out LIVE as 2nd rate and will stop stripping local copies the DLC codes.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Just hope all their dlc doesn't turn into drama like Return to Ostagar.

You mean this:

Funny thing is that was made before Ostagar came out. Plus P-A mentioned in the article that they played a pre-release version of the game which didn't have the DLC that was available with the mint copies of the game.

EDIT: And yes, I'm quite sure that'll happen again, except the Cerberus network is probably a more centralized thing you interact with instead of random NPCs.