how too get more pll in ut3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Please, please, call me WarTourist :).

I can only speak about my own opinion, and I don't think so. It's #1 purpose was to run the tech through it's paces before mastering, which it did magnificently (aka there were big problems). Without it, the retail version would have shared many of the demo's issues.

All games have bugs of many shapes and sizes when they ship. There is no such thing as a bugless game, and there never will be. In my opionion, if the bugs don't bother you, then the game "was ready", if they do it "wasn't ready".

Well, i think the demo caused alot of negative "word of mouth" but whats even worse is that almost all the bugs from the demo was still in retail and the first patch didnt come until, a Month later?
Im pretty sure the review scores wouldave been higher than the 80/100 average it got. This of course wouldave showed in the sales too. Looking at the lists of 2008 i would rather buy L4D or Fallout 3 than lets say Tomb raider or Far Cry 2.

And yes i agree, no game will ever be free of bugs but i guess theres a threshold that needs to be overcome before you release a game.

Well, thats my opinion anyway and theres as many opinions that theres IP:s i guess ;) (and apparently were running out of IP:s :p)

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Performancewise, the main problem is the algorithm they used to determine settings to apply to the game. It wasn't polished enough
That sounds like a repeating problem with this game.

Im really hope youre wrong Brizz.
But he's not. The only reason why they're probably doing the XPANSION is for sales of the original game, not to please the complainers on forums. The only reason why they did GoW 2 is because it was such a good seller. Profit is the onl motivation I can see for an industry like Gaming. Sad but true.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
I'm just going to start this post by saying I don't know anyone here personally and nothing I say now or ever is meant to hurt anyone... That being said I'm going to state some things on the whole subject. First of all it is pretty mean to focus your attacks on Epic as a whole. If any games ever have issues it's more than likely the fault of one person or a few people or leads at the company. Also even more loikely is that it's not a game of point the finger but more of intelligent choices that had to be made. A game release date is coming they got 10,000 things to do in 3 months and have to choose which things get done and which ones don't before release. Just because the game was released with some bugs doesn't mean epic didn't test their game and it doesn't mean they weren't aware of the issues in the game. nobody here knows who's fault at epics it is for the issues in UT3, maybe its one of the leads, maybe its war tourists fault, or maybe its the publishers for pushing things. I don't know and neither does anyone here except perhaps war... If anyone gets anything out of this post at least stop attacking epic as a whole since you are doing nothing but blasting a lot of innocent workers....

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
People are never going to care about that MrFrank, and frankly, i can sympathise.. we see the finished product, and only the finished product, and thats really all that matters to us, is the finished product good or not?

Nobody cares why they got a broken/half finished product, they just care that they did get it, and want something done about it, the gaming industry really needs to figure out that they are not a unique and beutifull snowflake, and that the consumers have no desire to give them any special treatment, if you break it you fix it, or give me my money back, or i will be very very pissed! just as i would be had i bought a DVD player that didn't work.

Thats the reallity of the matter, and if the games industry can't live up to that, then it needs to change (and clearly, it does need to change! either Dev's need more time to make the games work, or something (probably the graphics) has to be scaled down so the game can be made in the alloted timeframe, this endless parade of seriously buggy games needs to stop or the market will crash again).

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
Calling half the community clueless will certainly help you in your little discussion here.

It's not as bad as what I've been called by some of the "whine clique" for daring to disagree with them. Fortunately my skin is plenty thick. Might be something you look into :).

If Epic doesnt listen to all the complaints about UT3 and make sure they dont repeat them for UT4whateverish, it WILL fail again.

Of course they listened. The difference is once they heard all the issues, they didn't keep listening to the same people flaming them about the issues over and over and over again. Individuals like Hal and Brizz let the dev team know what they and most of the community thought about specifics without flames, clueless postulating and personal insults. I'm amazed this handful struggle with "being a dick gets you ignored". Works like that in real-life too you know :). (again, not talking about you specifically here Wow)

lol at all the people who think they know what they are talking about, and lol even more at the people who were offended by war tourist telling them they dont.

The great irony of that is they probably think half of BUF doesn't know what they're talking about either, just a different half! :)

Well, i think the demo caused alot of negative "word of mouth" but whats even worse is that almost all the bugs from the demo was still in retail and the first patch didnt come until, a Month later?

We'll have to agree to disagree. A huge number of major issues were addressed between the demo and the retail version. Not the full-scale UI reboot a handful unrealistically thought would occur, but major gamestoppers.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Of course Epic listens, but they will obviously have selective hearing when it comes to issues, because Joe Shmoe who can't get the game to start on his 6 year old computer is just not going to be as important as a thousand people telling them they can't run custom content on their servers. It's just a reality of business that you select bigger, more immediate issues over smaller issues that aren't affecting many people. And for all the whining about things like the UI, it is plenty functional for the time being. Should it get fixed at some point? I think so. But Epic has fixed a lot of things I would rather have had fixed over that in the last three patches.

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
I just wish we heard more things such as this from the dev. team. Give the community something new (good) to talk about, you know?

Again, in my opinion this boils down to how hostile a handful of folks on these forums have made them. I personally CAN'T get insulted by complete strangers, but not everyone is like that.

Who knows how the future will play out and I'll most definitely refrain from prognosticating about the what's in store for UT, but as long as BUF has the rep it does, what motivation do devs have to post? They get the critical information from insult-less sources, and as evidenced by the flames I've endured this week, dev interaction that doesn't conform to some unrealistic expectations about game/retail experiences results in disparagement.

In no way did the handful of hostile posters on BUF hurt (or help) the game, but if interacting with the developers was their goal, insulting them and their work every chance they get is a funny way to go about it :). (not necessarily talking about you wunder)

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
If you love the game as much as you claim and want to be in touch with the better people in the community, why is it that you've never shown interest in joining us for FragBU?

JEnepas

Feb 5, 2008
Well if they can take the plaudits they should be able to accept the brickbats, I honestly think if they'd communicated more on development stages allowing real community input for as little as half an hour a week the game wouldn't have emerged with the issues it did( my ,no **** Sherlock! insight there- hehe) They have to be one of the quietest, timid groups ever to enter game development. Either that or everyone there is scared of being overuled by smug superiors? Too many chiefs, & not enough Indians at Epic Wartourist?

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Neverminding the other BS

I just find it silly that you'd like to not have UT3 and give your money to someone who made a mod for UT3. Doesn't make a lot of sense now, does it?

Where are you deriving this from? You're not only way off base, you're not even remotely in the ballpark. You are not making sense at all & totally ripping out of context what I said. I'll spell it out for you.

I never said anything about "liking to not have UT3". Where the hell are you getting that from? I said "the $100.00 that I spent for 2 copies of UT3 should be taken away from Epic and given to Sinx". That is not even remotely suggesting anything about "liking to not have UT3". It means exactly what it says -- that I feel that the money I spent for UT3 deserves to go to Sinx, because, for me, he did breath some life into the game.

If I didn't want UT3, the following would have occurred:

1) I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
2) I would've given it away or thrown it out shortly after getting it due to finding the quality of it not as good as advertised. I kept it however as the potential was there and have waited for over a year with the hope of it being fulfilled -- same as you & anyone else still playing UT3.
3) I certainly wouldn't have bought it as gift for a friend off of Steam less than a week ago.

Does that clarify things for you? If not, then don't bother posting a response. In fact, don't bother posting a response anyway, because mostly all I've seen
is you rip things way out of context, and I'm not likely to see what response that you post anyway.

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
If you love the game as much as you claim and want to be in touch with the better people in the community, why is it that you've never shown interest in joining us for FragBU?

I should!

Well if they can take the plaudits they should be able to accept the brickbats, I honestly think if they'd communicated more on development stages allowing real community input for as little as half an hour a week the game wouldn't have emerged with the issues it did( my ,no **** Sherlock! insight there- hehe)

Have to disagree on that one :).

They have to be one of the quietest, timid groups ever to enter game development. Either that or everyone there is scared of being overuled by smug superiors? Too many chiefs, & not enough Indians at Epic Wartourist?

Speculation is fun! :)

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
love this thread
all this time WarTourist you banned pll that say a bad word about ut3
still dont get what the point of that was
still play this game it great game lets hope that the exspion will make the game better

Nope, only banned people who repeatedly flamed the game with the same criticisms AND couldn't understand the concept of warning points. There are loads of critical threads, including the popular platform bug list threads.

The UT3 forums are a better place because of it :).

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Again, in my opinion this boils down to how hostile a handful of folks on these forums have made them. I personally CAN'T get insulted by complete strangers, but not everyone is like that.

Who knows how the future will play out and I'll most definitely refrain from prognosticating about the what's in store for UT, but as long as BUF has the rep it does, what motivation do devs have to post? They get the critical information from insult-less sources, and as evidenced by the flames I've endured this week, dev interaction that doesn't conform to some unrealistic expectations about game/retail experiences results in disparagement.

In no way did the handful of hostile posters on BUF hurt (or help) the game, but if interacting with the developers was their goal, insulting them and their work every chance they get is a funny way to go about it :). (not necessarily talking about you wunder)

Totally understandable, I just don't think the entire community should suffer because of a few hostile users. I agree that it's getting very ugly, and I'm sure I have made a few "less than friendly" remarks myself since release but I wish that both developers and the community would put all this behind us and at least give eachother another chance. Motivationyou ask? The UT3 expansion or any future EPIC game for that matter. We just need someone to get the ball rolling and I personally believe the ball is in EPIC's court.

On that note, I am very happy to see you around here again and defending UT, and you're not even with EPIC anymore. Now imagine if the current dev team stepped in :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Where are you deriving this from? You're not only way off base, you're not even remotely in the ballpark. You are not making sense at all & totally ripping out of context what I said. I'll spell it out for you.

I never said anything about "liking to not have UT3". Where the hell are you getting that from? I said "the $100.00 that I spent for 2 copies of UT3 should be taken away from Epic and given to Sinx". That is not even remotely suggesting anything about "liking to not have UT3". It means exactly what it says -- that I feel that the money I spent for UT3 deserves to go to Sinx, because, for me, he did breath some life into the game.

If I didn't want UT3, the following would have occurred:

1) I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
2) I would've given it away or thrown it out shortly after getting it due to finding the quality of it not as good as advertised. I kept it however as the potential was there and have waited for over a year with the hope of it being fulfilled -- same as you & anyone else still playing UT3.
3) I certainly wouldn't have bought it as gift for a friend off of Steam less than a week ago.

Does that clarify things for you? If not, then don't bother posting a response. In fact, don't bother posting a response anyway, because mostly all I've seen
is you rip things way out of context, and I'm not likely to see what response that you post anyway.
I already knew your position. Whether that was what you intended to sound like or not is a moot point, UT3 costs money, it's not free. And someone that did something that accounts for a small percentage of the work done on UT3 should somehow get all of the money for the game? I guess I really just don't understand the logic behind your argument at all.