UT 2k3/2k4 RainbowSix mute would like some testers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
That heartbeat sensor attachment is WELL done; and what a NEAT feature!

I haven't heard of such a device in the Real World; does anyone know if there is such a thing, or one that's in the works?

That sensor's going to fit right in with some of the science fiction aspects of the world that you're creating, and whether such a device is currently "real" or not, it'll FEEL real enough to keep the realistic combat aspects of your single-player campaign humming nicely.

verlatt

... or something like that.
Apr 1, 2006
Those are very nice additions, really. Make the whole look more polished, or "complete" :). Would this sensor thingy work in invasion mode or something similar? I'm really looking forward to hunting with this baby. Were you inspired by MW2, or am I wrong?
Keep it up, you're doing more than well.
Oh, and just one more thing... How about implementing some shells falling & rolling on the floor (vide BW), rather than clipping through it? Not that it makes much difference, but anyway :lol:.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Hey all,
Here is an "unofficial" (as in I have not fully network tested and still need 3 new weapon models) latest release. It has a mutator (YARM SP Weapons) that is just like the normal YARM Weapon mutator except that it allows the selection of the newer Single Player weapons. Also includes a mutator that will randomly spawn some of the SP enemies in normal game modes.

This release also has some new bullet hit effects. partially nerfed gun melee attacks (knocks players away) to encourage the use of the knife for actual damaging melee attacks.

@ verlatt: Silver_Ibex has been recommending that I add the shell cases that actually collide for a while now. There are a few niggling difficulties with it (namely the difference in size between shells spawned in FP view versus actual world units), but I might be able to add it to the next release.

Last edited:

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Meow,

I just decompressed the file, and at the 97% mark 7-Zip delivered the following Diagnostic message:

# Message
1 CRC failed in 'Animations\yarm_SPanim.ukx'. File is broken.

I have no idea what kind of impact this is going to have on gameplay, but thought that you would like to know.

Yours,
Kyle
May 12, 2010

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
I'm not having any issues with starting up the game/mod, and I've quite/restarted the game several times to get a good testing.

I really appreciate you having the mod automatically setup for vector aiming with no crosshairs. It's a pain in the butt having to reconfigure those .ini files every time I do a new install of the latest build. Thanks for that!

I love the M8. Am disappointed that its firing rate can't be adjusted, but it does look cool with the working flashlight.

The Fiero SMG; I don't remember it having an collimeter like it does now, and it obscures the screen just as much as the newly-adjusted M4A1, which, for me, makes it impractical to use. So I now avoid them (sorry!).

The compound bow is frustrating to use. Please note that I am a HUGE fan of Thief, and am totally spoiled by its superb implementation of bow/arrow physics. That said... The "air trails" are way to visible, a little blur tinted with the color of the feathers would be ideal. It's difficult to base the feel of this bow on life experiences. A short pull should produce a slower moving and quicker descending arrow, whereas now it feels just as fast as holding the gut for a good while, but it has rapid drop too. The bow supplies no indication of just how far back the gut's been pulled. In Thief, one could readily gauge the shooting range of the arrow by looking at the state of the bow. I love how the arrow interacts with those it hits. I'm just remiss that it disappears so quickly after striking its target.

The hit effects on the dry materials are great. Just enough sparking here and there, and the dust clouds are sufficient enough that one can see where one's rounds are going at 50 m., so now they're useful as well. Bonus!

Water hit effects don't look different than before, but that's fine with me.

Snow/ice hit effects still leave a lot to be desired, as it's common for a half dozen large white pixels to appear.

The SP enemies, the Combine from HL2, the red beret commando, and the German Shepherd all get the job done in regards to attacking and whatnot. I was surprised at how well the pooch worked, and it's death sounds made me feel bad! Sniff-sniff!!!

Currently, the SP enemies are typically leaving behind visible "Guard" bot flags, but I'm sure that you know that already.

In terms of their tactical performance, they tend to immediately rush the general area that they've just chucked a grenade at, and the results are as tragic as one expects...

If they don't die from tackle-the-frag, they're an aggressive pain in the buttocks.

They have a loooong spawn-protection time, which gives them a huge advantage right now.

The most annoying aspect of it all right now is the fact that once in a while the original Unreal monsters spawn in.

Weapon-melee attacks look GREAT.

Have a very sick daughter to attend to. Thank you!

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
I didn´t have any troubles whatsoever, winrar prompeted the corrupt message, but the file uncompressed and overwrote the old one and the game worked just fine.... just loved the scar-like rifle with heartbeat sensor, but as Kyle pointed out, we missed the lack of RoF selection! The MP2000 "rip-off" is cool too and fiero with aimpoint looks nice, but as you´ve said the tunneled FOV is a dead end, why not replace it with the Micro CCO version (as it is shorter, it would cause a less tunneled effect)
0ee9e535c0ee97671d.jpg

the ACE2 mod for ArmA2 uses it with good results (their aimpoint comp3 alse had tunneled vision, so I usually exchange the M4 with comp3 for the microcco equipped) =)

I haven´t tested much, so I had only noticed the U1 monsters and the MW throat-biter sheppard, the new hit effects work and do their job, as well the blood splatts (nice add), but the bow is indeed frustating, it only work in narrow areas and at short range (I´ve only nailed 2 bots by hitting them from behind as a sneaky basterd...) I miss some aiming indication (a stretched finger pointing roughly at the hit point or sort of) and the katana is "floating" as I draw it (maybe that´s due to the anim file corrption), but as soon as I give the first swing, the hands get the right grip of it....

as an unofficial release, its bugs are acceptables, but I wonder which are the 3 missing weapon models you´ve spoken of... =D

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
I forgot to mention that the Micro CCO sounds like a good solution.

Just finished playing an insanely fun set of mut settings.

I turned on the YARM Zombies mut, set their probability of spawning to 75% and the following happened...

Found out the hard way that waxing a SP Enemy can lead to a zombie AND that killing a zombie may lead to a SP Enemy spawning. The dynamics are pretty intense, because one can wax a zombie out at a "safe" distance of 4-5 m. and then "poof" there's a Combine blasting away at you with a shotgun! Since ANYONE, including one's comrades, can spawn into either of these two camps, it gets pretty hairy pretty quickly. Fun to watch the SP Enemies engage the zombies too.

Nice touch there Meow!

Also, it looks to me like you did some skinning work on the zombies, or are my eyes fooling me? Whatever it is, they look better than before. Have you thought about adding some wet-sheen to portions of their bodies? These could hint at previous bullet holes, or a particularly putrid state of rot, or BOTH!

Did you reduce the range on the "left-throw" frag toss? It seems like it's lost a good deal of "oomph!" I don't know how I feel about it if you have. That long, black smoke trail from frags...if I could but have a setting to shut that off!

The small machinegun: the muzzleflash on it is so large and opaque as to make the weapon practically impossible to use.

I also noticed that the suppressed smg produces a muzzleflash, which, while not as intense as above, so too bright anyway. Perhaps do away with it altogether, or replace with a "blown air" look to the muzzleflash?

I haven't yet had any problems with the properly assigned camos appearing. NICE job there!

Meow, would you be up to trying out a release of YARM with the traditional UT generic-step sound being replaced with the ones that I cooked up? The UT steps sound so "clean" that their lack of cloth rubbing and whatnot makes them stand out a lot to my ears. All of the other body sounds I cooked up haven't generated any complaints (so far!) so if you wouldn't mind swapping the steps I certainly wouldn't mind "hearing" them out during testing.

Again, before I go, you have to try the zombie mut with the SP Enemies mut--intense thrills await you!

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Hi All, Thanks for giving it a go (and being the quality control ;) )
1. I'll try swapping out the M68 CCO with the micro. Personally I never had much problem with the M68 since I only 'aimed' the weapon when I was already closely lined up on the target. If I move the M68 forward on the weapon a "few inches" to be over the handguard then the tunneling effect would be reduced as well. Whats a collimeter?

2. Corrupted file -> nuts, I'll fix in the next release. The only model used from that file right now is the dog.

3. I don't think I will be modifying the Mk8 SMG to add another fire mode as it is primarily supposed to fill the role of a close range spray & pray weapon in the SP portion of the mod (if I ever get around to it) and I am trying to limit the number of buttons I use (I suppose I could create special command just for weapon attachments though...).

4. @TurdDrive: will the mod still not work for you? If so I will try an expedite the fixed release.

5. Ini settings: I left out the .ini files this time (I think) so that they would not override the settings already used by you guys. I will probably also be moving some of the pawn and playercontroller related settings to the default UT2k4.ini file instead (that way if I do include the .ini files, they will not affect the crosshair and freeaim settings).

6. Katana: yeah I changed some melee knife weapon settings at the last minute to better support the offhand knife attacks for the Mk9 Magnum pistol, that may have partially broken the animations for the katana, I'll verify and fix.

7. Compound Bow: This is very much a work in progress right now and I am open to any suggestions. The only indication of how much "strength" is behind the pull is the charge bar indicator (which I imagine you both have turned off). My intent with this weapon was to make it behave as closely as possible to the Turok (both dinosaur hunter and newer Turok from 2008) bow and arrow. To that end I will probably add a screen drawn crosshair that may also indicate status about whether its aimed at a pawn or not. I've made a few long distance shots against bots, but it has only ever been when they're moving in a straight line and I could lead them for a little while. In real life though, this weapon really would only be good against stationary targets right... (I need to add the explosive arrows option)

8. I'll try the altered footstep sounds as the default ones are getting a bit old.

9. Glad you guys like the dry/land hit effects. The water one may not look too different (use the "loaded" cheat command to compare the the UT Assault rifle to the YARM weapons), but on my older machine the performance is way better since there are less particles (and the vertical stream ones I made better match the real effect). What suggestions do you ave for the snow and ice hit effects? (I will add a "cracked" decal for the ice one).

10. Misc - I'll see about modding the SMG (suppressed and unsuppressed) muzzle flashes to be more transparent. For the SP enemies, I did include a few Unreal enemies, but using my own AI code, as tests. I will get around to modifying the "run towards grenade juts thrown" SP enemy behavior, but for the near future it will probably be just a simple "don't do damage to the thrower of the grenade" code kludge. Will also fix the visible guard point icon (used primarily for debugging at the moment) and the too long spawn protection time.

There are not actually three missing FP models, but I did want to give the Mk4 AMR, and Scorpion RL their own unique models, and I need to make the skin for the Mk9 magnum (as it just uses the Combat pistol's right now).

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
If I move the M68 forward on the weapon a "few inches" to be over the handguard then the tunneling effect would be reduced as well.

Oh, you could give a try on this sollution (I wouldn´t mind seing the m68CCO a little further in the receiver, if it could fix the tunneled issue) and have both micro and m68 installed in different guns (the fiero smg and the M4A1 could use it, and the m68 could be installed in the m16a43 and Mk7-scarlike rifle, as they have longer barrel rails)

It reminds me I haven´t tried the tweaked Ak107 yet ;)

And the explosive arrows are a must, as it could compensate the lack of precision and be usefull against UT brutes and other monsters lol

(I will add a "cracked" decal for the ice one).
definetly that´s the better way to go (performance wise)

how deep can the Mk4AMR bullets penetrate? I´ve tested it against thin covers (it killed the bots behind barrels and plates at least)

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Yeah, the explosive arrows are a must in my book. You've done some pretty amazing things with this mod so far, Meow, but with my limited knowledge I'd have to bet that making the bow "work" has got to make it the most challenging weapon to design.

The explosive arrows would work well against the slower brutes and more distant targets. Of course, I'd imagine that you're eventually going to replace the UT brutes with something else, but if whatever it is stays slow moving then the effect will be the same gameplay/balance wise.

That tweaked AK 107 is one of the best weapons in my book. The Cobra sight doesn't overly obscure the screen, so a BIG bonus there.

But I still want a drum magazine option for that thing!

In regards to hit ice/snow effect; I was just imagining a rapid flaky "spray" surrounded by a fine white and ascending dust that takes a bit more time than normal to dissipate due to the "lift" capabilities of the snowy dust getting kicked up. Wow, I don't know how I managed to find the exact words that I needed to match what I'm imagining in my head, but I did it and on very little sleep too!

I'm probably misapplying terminology here, but I'm pretty sure that I've read references to Aimpoints and Reflex aiming aides as "collimeters" before.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Just don't let my wife know about it. She has no clue that I make mistakes (from time to time, which is rarely if ever at all).

;-D

Good night!

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Quick update: I had not been working on this much (weather got nice up here, bee hiking quite a bit). I've fixed the katana animations. Also been streamlining the parkour code. I've added "breathing movement" to the Mk4AMR when zoomed in, you hold down the altfire to hold your breath, but it only lasts about three seconds then you have to let the "breath" recharge. More to follow later this week maybe...

Triarii

Jun 14, 2010
actually it doesn't work in ut2k3 only 2004

but I've tested it, had some problems with knowing which muts to use

sp weapons sp enemies don't seem to work

right now I think it's all over the place and hard to setup and play for a noob

One very cool thing I din't know how I did it but I ended up with the 'halo' rifle and futuristic looking but realistic guns