how to export images from .utx?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

teh derd

Amateur Lamer
Jan 14, 2004
at my terminal
What is the simplest way to extract bitmaps or pngs or whatever out of .utx files so I can skin? UnrealEd doesn't seem to have this function. I want to use my favorite applications to edit the skins, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way. I can use upaint to put the images back in, it appears.

I am a good artist, but not much of a hacker. I see no obvious way of getting the images out, except the dirt-simple one of printing the screen while using the texture browser. And up doesn't seem to support getting the images out of a .utx either. I hope I am missing a simple solution. Pls let me know!

TheArtfulDodger

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
Right click the texture in the browser.

teh derd said:
What is the simplest way to extract bitmaps or pngs or whatever out of .utx files so I can skin? UnrealEd doesn't seem to have this function. I want to use my favorite applications to edit the skins, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way. I can use upaint to put the images back in, it appears.

I am a good artist, but not much of a hacker. I see no obvious way of getting the images out, except the dirt-simple one of printing the screen while using the texture browser. And up doesn't seem to support getting the images out of a .utx either. I hope I am missing a simple solution. Pls let me know!

Right click the texture in the browser and "Export to File".

teh derd

Amateur Lamer
Jan 14, 2004
at my terminal
[SAS]Solid Snake said:
Well if you use Adobe Photoshop, there is a DDS plug-in for it.

Which I don't own, and don't intend to own. I have tried Irfanview's dds plugin, no good, and I even downloaded MS's DirectX 9.0 SDK, which claims to have a .dds conversion util in the package, and which was the single largest download I have ever done - ~220mb on a 56k modem! After installing though, I got an error message when trying to view the .dds files exported with unrealed. So no good. Then after a little more searching, I found a 30kb dos program that converts utx files to targa, no problem. Tried it. Works. The link is found on this page:

http://thegoat.nuonsoft.com/misc_faq_ued3.htm#ued3_exportingTextures

And I think that the guy who made 'milkshape' continues to update some of his tools, although he hasn't bothered to update his website much for a couple of years. There is a UT Package Tool, which I think may work to extract resources from utx files for 2003, just like for goty. Claims to export to .psk. I notice the beta version was just updated last week or so.

http://www.acordero.org/projects/utpt/index.htm

So I don't know why I can't do anything with the .dds files I have exported with unrealed, but there is something wrong here. I am going to try to work around having to use .dds for any skinning purposes for now.

OK, here is more info, since you have all been so helpful. Wotgreal is being discussed at the boards over at Atari Forums as a good file conversion util, and so I'm gonna try it. The website:

http://www.wotgreal.com/Navigation/Download.cfm

says its file convertor can extract the resources from the .utx files. And it is available as a stand-alone exe or as part of the WOTgreal package. I am gonna try it.

Last edited: