MaxClientRate?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQat

Dec 1, 1999
Visit site
In my latest issue of Maximum PC magazine, it mentions improving UT net play by setting your MaxClientRate to 5000 for a 56k connection. However, in the full version of UT, I cannot seem to find the advanced options menu they speak of. If anyone could help me find out how to change this "MaxClientRate" in UT 400, it would be greatly appreciated.

--Qat

M

Meister

You want to use "netspeed"
Hit the "~"(tilde) key to bring up the console and type: netspeed 5000

This will change your rate to 5000. 5000 sounds a bit high. You may have to play with this number to get the best results(I use around 3000 on my 45,300 connection). I think the netspeed will "stick", so the next time you run UT, the netspeed will be whatever you set it to last.

If you want advanced options, bring up the console and type "preferences"(without the quotes). BUT the Network settings in the advanced options ONLY apply if you run a server.

[This message has been edited by Meister (edited 12-01-1999).]

TheQat

Dec 1, 1999
Visit site
Well, I was going to try 5000 because the latest issue of the mag Maximum PC had recommended it for 56k conns. . .I assume 5000 means 5k/sec, but I'm not too sure. That WOULD make sense, because my highest dl ever with this modem is 5.3k/sec (in which case I might want to switch to 5300. . .)

Anyone got verification on what those numbers mean?

--Qat

Hi,
i also have a V.90 modem but netspeed 5000 is way to high. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
When you use the "stat net" command during online play you will see, that you send much more data than receive. And due to the fact that every V.90 has only the ability to send with 33.6 a netspeed of 3200 is the maximum.

Even if you set it higher you won't gain anything. Try it for yourself...

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
netspeed, and maxclientrate are two very diffrent things, but they are both connected in some way. netspeed is for the client and maxclientrate is for servers. your netspeed is the maximum amount of bandwith you can send/receive in the game. maxclientrate, for servers, is the way to limit badnwith consumed by clients. by setting it to 5000 you reduce all users to 5000 netspeed. kinda good to conserve bandwith if the server is often overlaoding it.

TheQat

Dec 1, 1999
Visit site
So basically, I want to set my Netspeed to around 3300 and forget about the MaxClient since I don't run a server. Well, that magazine was slightly misinformed on this.

Thanks Voyd
--Qat

Slider

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
In Half-Life, I used a couple of commands like this (pushlatency and rate) to help adjust for my slow 26400 connection. I also had bound a command to a couple of keys that could call up a dynamic graphical representation of how my current connection loooked, right on top of the game screen while I was playing. Looking at this showed my what my packet loss was, what my ping was doing, and allowed me to set those parameters while in the game. Is there someplace that tells what all these type commands and parameters might be for UT?

Status
Not open for further replies.