So....Beer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Deciding on this weeks purchase. In the summer I like Spaten, Stella, and yuengling.

Should I get: Bitburger, Czech Rebel, or <insert your recommendation here> ?

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
It's nice you like a Pennsylvanian beer (or maybe Florida, since Yuengling has a brewery down there).

I'll recommend Victory's (also a PA brewery) Prima Pils. Has the "lightness" of a regular lager, but has the "character" of an IPA. Kind of hard to describe what that means, but you will know it when you taste it.

BeerAdvocate link: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1010

BA has it graded in the 90's, which is quite exceptional.

ZenPirate

Nov 21, 2000
New York
Ah jeez, don't drink that corporate Inbev crap. You're on the wrong coast for great beer. All the good stuff comes from Oregon and surrounding states. You're best bet is look at this http://www.thinknydrinkny.com/breweries.php

New York...we get all the good European beers here while they are fresh. There's some great micro brew stuff here in Albany, like http://www.evansale.com/ and i really like this place: http://www.wolffsbiergarten.com/

Zxan, I'm not a huge fan of most IPAs.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Zxan, I'm not a huge fan of most IPAs.

Yeah, then you may not like that beer. Then again, you may be surprised. It's brewed like a pilsner (Except it isn't like the BMC 'pilsners,' in that it isn't an adjunct, but the malt is pure barley.), but it is much more hoppy. If you don't like a lot of hops, then it probably isn't for you. (But as a hophead, I love really hoppy beers.)

If you feel extraordinarily adventurous to try things that you may not like, get a 6-pack. If you don't like it, send the remaining five my way. ;)

Case in point: At first I wasn't too keen on the idea of witbiers. But when I tried Hoegaarden, I fell in love with the style.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Yuengling simply because I live very close to the first brewery and it makes me feel special when people from other parts of America mention it.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Yuengling simply because I live very close to the first brewery and it makes me feel special when people from other parts of America mention it.

I know that feel. As a Pennsylvania resident, it gives me a warm feeling inside when people talk about PA breweries all over the country/world.

The cool thing is, I actually live really close to the Troegs Brewery in Hershey. I should go over there sometime and get a growler of something. I just never found the time.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
we get all the good European beers here

Spaten, Stella, and yuengling. Bitburger, Czech Rebel

:con:

Stella is corporate duck piss, as is Spaten (which is the brewery, not the beer, by the way). Yuengling is American. Czech Rebel is pisswater that's scraped off the top off the barrels and sold to the US market (Hradecky Votrok 11 is the real stuff).

I'll let you off Bitburger.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yeah, Stella is really nasty stuff now but I do remember back in the 80's when you could only get it on draught import in a freehouse (no other pubs sold it) and it was a fantastic pint - and lethal after 3-4 pints of the stuff.
Now, as Ambershee states, it really is corporate duck piss - I would not recommend Stella in any form these days.

ZenPirate

Nov 21, 2000
New York
:con:

Stella is corporate duck piss, as is Spaten (which is the brewery, not the beer, by the way). Yuengling is American. Czech Rebel is pisswater that's scraped off the top off the barrels and sold to the US market (Hradecky Votrok 11 is the real stuff).

I'll let you off Bitburger.

Now that's more like it. What are the "real" versions of those beers across the pond? I'm only familiar with American craft beers,which are excellent. It's tough to nail down what the locals drink over there from here, hence the thread