[lolitics]Your thoughts on offshore drilling after this mess.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I find it a little ironic that the worlds worse oil spill to ever happened is happening right in the backyard of a bunch of red states. This spill is going to destroy coastline business/tourism. So do people still think that offshore drilling drilling is a good idea since the oil companies seem to be too irresponsible to do it properly?

What are your thoughts?

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Sure, they should keep doing it, but the feds need to actually use the billions (if not trillions) they've taxed from the oil industry to actually implement the "back-up plans" they've had since the 90's.

That said, it would be better to promote natural gas (something we have a LOT of), oil drilling in anwar and the small scale (very safe) nuke power...

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Keep drilling, put nuke power back to use (Some Uni designed some new kind of nuke power). Eventually work towards using electric vehicles, not shove it down our throats before it, and we, are ready. Also work slowly towards solar on homes

Last edited:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Sure, they should keep doing it, but the feds need to actually use the billions (if not trillions) they've taxed from the oil industry to actually implement the "back-up plans" they've had since the 90's.

Or better yet, actually hold the folks that own the oil rigs and the ones that use it responsible for developing, testing, and implementing proper safety features for the rigs. Also, they should develop contingency plans (the various cleanup, siphoning, etc methods) in case these features fail. Sure this huge and devastating disaster is allowing BP and others adapt and evolve methods, but it should NOT need a disaster of this magnitude for them to be able to form the contingency plans.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm glad that BP isn't trying to deny involvement or ignore the problem. They are actively helping in solving the problem, cleaning up, etc. They've committed billions of dollars to the mess already.

I think they should have had better contingency plans if something like this happened. Why isn't there a deadman's switch where the valve meets the ground in case the worst happens and the pipe snaps at ground level down there? It really doesn't make any sense.

Still, I don't think disasters should prevent us from doing what we need to do to maintain our economic stability. While we are investigating and developing new technologies to replace fossil fuels, we still need them. And sending billions off to foreign countries that don't share our open market policies to begin with doesn't seem like future proofing ourselves.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I really don't think the answer is so simple. There's certainly a lot that can and should have been done to prevent something like this from happening. However, at the same time I think we have to assume that big accidents will happen. At that point one has to wonder if the economic benefit from offshore drilling really overcomes the potential damage. I bet someone could really calculate all the numbers and come up with a good answer, but I'm not going to go through the effort.

Luckily for us I don't think it's really necessary. Build more power plants and open up areas on land. I think it's funny that offshore drilling was considered safe politically, but ideas like ANWAR were placed on the shelf.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If the appropriate safeguards were in place, an accident like this shouldn't happen. At least, not to this magnitude.

The problem is, nobody knows how to fix the current problem. If they knew how to fix it, the disaster wouldn't be nearly as bad.

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma
If the appropriate safeguards were in place, an accident like this shouldn't happen. At least, not to this magnitude.

The problem is, nobody knows how to fix the current problem. If they knew how to fix it, the disaster wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Appropriate safe guards are in place, beyond what you can imagine. Accidents like this don't just happen.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
The thing about nuclear power is that it's very safe most of the time, but the times where bad things happen it is disastrous.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
The thing about nuclear power is that it's very safe most of the time, but the times where bad things happen it is disastrous.

This is simply not true. This might have been the case with old Russian reactors like Chernobyl, but it's not the case with modern technology. Such risks are now contained, and are far below the levels of risk we take on with alternative sources. Even the kind of accident like that on 3 mile island is no longer a concern. Modern nuclear power plants pose no risk to the people and environment around them. The worst that can happen in a disaster is that the people inside the plant are put at risk.

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
They have smaller ones now that aren't really even "plants". They use a type of pellet instead of rods, aren't as dangerous and they're self-contained.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Appropriate safe guards are in place, beyond what you can imagine. Accidents like this don't just happen.
They are? That's why there is no shut off valve below where the pipe is leaking a few hundred feet above the ocean floor?

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
It's not irony when the Feds let it get worse week after week when they were supposed to have plans that could be implemented for such incidents, yet had to beg Puerto Rico for the equipment they were supposed to have.

Then again, what was that saying? Oh right:

“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste; it’s an opportunity to do important things that you would otherwise avoid.”

— Rahm Emanuel

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Such risks are now contained, and are far below the levels of risk we take on with alternative sources.

Seriously? Nuclear power less risky than having a windmill or a solar pannel standing around?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
My conclusion: we as a species are totally and utterly reckless and stupid.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
We should't be using oil a all. Nuclear is the answer for the power grid, and hydrogen is the answer for automobiles.