Dreamcast maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
If there's a mapper around, I can take screenshots of the missing maps for reference.
Hi! If you can take screenshots of DM-Canyon Fear, CTF-Phanlanx and CTF-Sundial it'll be a massive help to me.

-bump-

BU noob here, I'm really interested in getting these maps. ps2 ut was like my first actual unreal experience.
I intend to release these maps somewhere around the end of September and the beginning of October.

Iron_Ian

Sep 3, 2005
For those still interested in this I found some interesting stuff when I eventually found a way to look at the file structure of a dreamcast disc (CDI format).

After extracting everything, evidently two maps are fully functioning and can be opened in Retail PC UT. DM_Barricade_DC and DOM_HOOD_DC. These maps are in .unr format. I've attached them below, as far as I know, these are the 100% finalized DC versions of the map. Unless there were changes once they were converted to .dat format for the release.

Every other map is in the form of a .dat file, and crashes UnrealED, and won't open in UTPT either.

There are 2 utx files, but neither of them open without a UED crash. I tried extracting them with UTPT and while it reads the structure, the textures come out as a jumble of colors and junk.

There's also a botpack.u and a dcextra.u or something that I can't seem to open but some of the data loads into UTPT.

Attachments

• DM_BARRICADE_DC.rar
    388.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DOM_HOOD_DC.rar
    155.1 KB · Views: 43

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
Hi! If you can take screenshots of DM-Canyon Fear, CTF-Phanlanx and CTF-Sundial it'll be a massive help to me.

I intend to release these maps somewhere around the end of September and the beginning of October.

Oh crap. I missed this.
I'll add this to my todo list.
Can't give any dates at this time though, but hopefully sometime this year.

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
Hello, sorry for the bump, I'd be very interested in seeing those DreamCast maps myself in a kind of complete state. I did try the six DM-PS2 maps and they weren't terribly exciting, but I'd like to take a look at the complete console map roster.

I don't have either PS2 or DC, but I do have a working copy of UnrealEd so I'm willing to rebuild some of those maps from scratch if someone provides me with screenshots. They are pretty bare (at least from what I saw in the PS 2 maps) so recreating them shouldn't take long.
I'm especially interested in seeing the CTF maps. Anyone interested in taking some screenshots for me? :)

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
I am still available. although I did manage to corrupt my saves and I'll have to unlock everything again.

Also since there are some console maps done already. I could run them in a computer next to the real things to see if they need any fixes.

Secret areas are troublesome though. I have no idea where those are if there are any. Perhaps there's a PSX/DC-UT-Strategyguide?

But how should these pictures be taken? Panorama images from powerups? random running around?

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
I am still available. although I did manage to corrupt my saves and I'll have to unlock everything again.

Also since there are some console maps done already. I could run them in a computer next to the real things to see if they need any fixes.

Secret areas are troublesome though. I have no idea where those are if there are any. Perhaps there's a PSX/DC-UT-Strategyguide?

But how should these pictures be taken? Panorama images from powerups? random running around?
Thank you for you availability.
Isn't there a cheat to ghost, to check secret areas? Ghosting would also be very helpful to get an overview of the map. Anyway secrets aren't a problem, before I releasing a final version I'd release a beta in which people who have played the DreamCast version could compare the maps.
Since I don't have the DC myself, I would need to see almost every part of the map to be able to reproduce it. Basically I would need a picture of every room and corridor, possibly taken from different angles (to cover most, if not all, the surfaces of the map). The point from which you take the pictures doesn't matter, as long as there is some kind of cue of where that point is in the map (it's ok also if the cue is in another picture). Pickups/PowerUps shouldn't be a problem to guess from the pictures easily, the most difficult part is definitely the surfaces around.

If you wouldn't mind I would like to create a CTF map for now, probably it's better to start with a rather small one (if there are small maps in the DC roster). I seem to understand that Akuma did two maps for DC, Phalanx and Sepulchre, I am especially interested in those.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
I just read through this thread and didn't see anything about this, so I thought I'd mention it. Did you guys know about the Console Bonus Pack over at ut-files?
http://www.ut-files.com

(under Maps/MapPacks/MapsC_D/Console_Bonus_Pack.zip)

Ok, so I dl'ed this and will (try) to compare these with the originals during the weekend.

If anyone knows that these are sh*t or have been obsoleted by any superiior map then pleasle let me know. It will save some time.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Ok, so I dl'ed this and will (try) to compare these with the originals during the weekend.

If anyone knows that these are sh*t or have been obsoleted by any superiior map then pleasle let me know. It will save some time.

Yes, most of them are simply from the rocketarena DM mappack, the inventory placement wasn't base don the DC version, whoever created that pack just used the RA mappack and renamed the maps acording to the DC version.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
Well I tested Sepulchre (the 2 from the consolepack and PSX version).
The layout is ok, but those PC versions are way too cramped. they seem to be made for 2-4 players, where the PSX houses 6-8.

Also the attachments are 'disturbing'. :rolleyes:

and I just noticed that this thread is for dc-maps. oh well. Perhaps a new thread should be made. I know that anything created here will be scavenged by Delacroix. :lol:

Attachments

• dreary.jpg
    dreary.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 67
  • subpen.jpg
    subpen.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 66

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Huh, the GUI there is pretty neat.

Technically-wise, it isn't. Health bar is simply awful and it's practically impossible to know the amount of the health when it's over 100 points (if it's over the 100% limit the bar becomes blue instead of green but good luck at figuring out the actual amount - similar but less annoying story for the Armor bar).

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Also, yeah, there's no talkbox, and no taunt system at all. Only in team games you were able to give orders (except Freelance) by pressing the Select button which paused the game, by opening a special window with the options.

On the positive side, the main menu had an awesome moving sky background. Actually the PS2 version felt a bit more colorful and saturated overall.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Also, yeah, there's no talkbox, and no taunt system at all. Only in team games you were able to give orders (except Freelance) by pressing the Select button which paused the game, by opening a special window with the options.

On the positive side, the main menu had an awesome moving sky background. Actually the PS2 version felt a bit more colorful and saturated overall.
Kinda like with Serious Sam.
First and Second Encounter were more "serious" with the HUD colours. The console versions then however got a more colourful HUD which got then "upgraded" to the HUD we knew from Serious Sam 2. Just wanted to mention.