DM-Yuki (UT1 map playtest)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
EDIT: I decided to can this level. I'm just not too happy with it. It's too flat and simplistic. Thanks for the feedback people have sent me, I appreciate it.

(simulpost from mapping forum)

Hey, it's me again with another new map, this time for the first Unreal Tournament. This one is called DM-Yuki (which means "snow" in Japanese). It's map for 3 or 4 players. Looking for feedback on anything, but most focused on item placement. Obviously, it's inspired by DM-Zeto.

Known issues:
- Bots act funky when it comes to the elevator jump
- No level preview shot yet
- Need a couple dynamic lights here and there
- There's a little texture seam under the icicle textures
- Some of the textures aren't aligned yet (I wonder how bad it is, thoughts on this wanted).

Please get at:
http://kyouryuu.furvect.com/levelsTesting/DM-YukiTest.zip

Last but not least, a pic of the main room:
DM-YukiPreview.jpg

Thanks! :D

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
OK well,
the top quad area or you guys call it the amp,is a little to short to fit in there fast enough from a lift jump,no one is gonna want to fool with it being it's so open it's more like an areana.That might be why the bots act funky,there isn't enough headroom up there ,so they probably keep trying,and comming back down all the time

I would trash the red stipe texture,sure, fine it's after zeto,but even a different color or texture would make it more plaesing to get away from stock old mappage.

The snow fall brushes are just crappy,What I think would be pretty cool is some kinda cylider brush and some sexy texture wich would be great to use those as like in the center of DM-Pyramid a gravity lift you can go up or down on all of them,forget the snow.This would help bigtime to get around and would effectivly make map smaller and less arena-ish.

Also the bottom texture under the grids dissapears as i look at down angle,and the snow brushes also seem to flash or dissapear at the right angles or certain angles of view.

Add some pillars map is too open,just gonna be a two level areana map,no cover at all.

The weapons ,being map is big and open should somehow be close to player starts and or not way off in the corners ,mabye think around the inside walls instead.

Your windows and the light comming through is the best part of the map,I heard no mover sounds,but it's not done yet so no biggie.

I did not use bots to test,and mabye i missed it,but possibly the shield belt should be done on the oppisite side to get at,or mabye make it one long hall up there with snipers at the ends.

Thats my take on your map so far,and i know it aint done,and i dont know if your going to fill it up with other brushwork yet.

The lighting seemed ok to me

Last edited:

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
Some quick follow-up questions -
1. Are you saying the UDamage area atop the elevator lift is too small or too big? Are you saying it's too small to get into with an elevator jump, but too large as a room itself? The UDamage place is probably the biggest part of the level on the cutting block - I don't particularly like it and it's painful to get the bots to work convincingly here.
2. Where are you suggesting the Shield Belt go?

I like the suggestions. I too think the map is generally too open. Adding a few columns (two in the long hallway on top, maybe one in the bottom arena area too). I found that problem with the grates you mentioned shortly after I posted this - it's probably some BSP glitch I haven't figured out yet. I like the idea of changing some of the stock textures. It would be pretty easy to alter the colors on the existing ones - maybe put a snazzy neon-like stripe in there. There are already a couple minor texture mods in here (the wires are a darkened variant on the one in... some package whose name I forgot).

Map isn't in any particular stage of completion. :)

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
The height,
do this,just make the top quad room have more height,youl see,the bots will work good,and people,the shield belt, do the same as the quad but the other side of map.

And think about the gravzones instead of the snow,or in place of the snow,map might be a riot to play then,give it that strategic and suprise edge to it.

oh and what i mean by a cylidar brush is a nonsolid just showing its a place to stand and go up,or down,a low grav lift,just like in the center of stock map DM-Pyramid.

Last edited:

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
While I get what you mean about the DM-Pyramid-like gravity lifts, I don't necessarily think it fits the theme of the map. :) But if I ever do a more mystical map, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for clarifying on the rest. You have to play it with bots to see how the bots act poorly, though. It's not that they don't elevator jump - they do. But they do it in a constant loop because they hit the invisible kickers repeatedly. :( I just need to figure out dispatcher systems more to understand how to make it so they can't abuse it.