Smaller posts equal more forum friendly?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
For me, length in itself is not a problem, as long as it is well structured. That's the important bit.
When it's just a solid wall of continuous text, with little to no punctuation and breaks, it's very hard to keep a focus on it. If it's broken down correctly, a long post can become very easy to follow still, and much better to read.

+1.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
All that matters is if there are boobs in the thread.
None of the posts matter. The boobs capture the moment, and sometimes get people to get back on topic.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
This is going to be another perky thread.

That long chunk of text up there does explain it all, but in the wrong way. It is actually working against itself.

The guidelines are simple.
1. Always contribute something unique and relevant.
2. Don't quote more than your own length of text.

Then there are forum rules.
1. Don't flame.

Before this post gets too long, I'll pause for now.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
. (<= fear the dot that has ended many a civilisation)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
How about some bootylicious posts about titties? Oh, wait! That is the other thread.

We already have the shortest post and the shortest quote in one thread. I know what we all want. Medium sized threads with short posts.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
STRUCTURE PEOPLE

Post size is unimportant compared to how you organize your post.

If you're writing something huge (think Penny-Arcade OP posts), then it's smart to make sub-titles and chapters to posts. [shameless plug]There's a OT Survival Guide stickied here that tries to follow those rules[/shameless plug].

If you're writing something relatively small but still more than a few words, add enough space in-between to keep your words parsed and concise.

Put spaces in-between paragraphs* to keep the post well-read.

*Paragraphs on the internets are allowed to be shorter than three sentences.

For. ****s. Sake. Spell check.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I can has posts ???

uglyostrich.jpg

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
i agree that short, more concise posts generally lead to a more productive and well-rounded discussion. Posts that are more to-the-point are easier to read for most forum users, and are generally more well-understood. However, this train of thought is not shared by all. Archwiki, for example, warns against it. That forum's moderators believe that posting 'empty' messages may be a way for users to increase their post count meaninglessly, or to lend support to an idea (as if it were a vote). Examples of power-posting include, but are not limited to, replying with '+1', 'lol', 'me too', 'I agree', or ':)'. They believe that when you reply to messages, make sure you have something to say. These empty posts clutter up threads and discussion, invalidates the 'Show New Posts' function, and wastes bandwidth and server space. Threads that degenerate into a series of '+1/-1' or 'me too/I agree/I disagree' with no content will be locked on those forums. Individual power posts may also be deleted. Mozilla believes that you should trim your follow-ups. Do not quote the entire content of the message to which you are replying. Include only as much as is necessary for context. Remember that if someone wants to read the original message, they can; it is easily accessible. According to Mozilla, a good rule of thumb is, don't include more quoted text than new text. There is always a need for some trimming - either a salutation, a signature, some blank lines or whatever. If you are doing no trimming whatsoever of the quoted text, then you aren't trimming enough. iSixSigma shares similar thoughts: Write a well worded question and description. Nothing solicits comments and suggestions from experts more than a well thought-out problem statement with appropriate data. Make sure your posting has a question if starting a thread. If the post is nicely worded, it may even be highlighted in one of the iSixSigma newsletters with circulation to over 27,000 professionals worldwide -- a sure bet you'll receive the input you need. Stay on topic. Replies should be answers to the original question. Try not to create sub-conversations in a thread as it complicates reading and really doesn't belong in the thread. If you have a discussion topic that was generated from reading a thread, just start a new thread. eHow.com, however, would have you believe that longer, more descriptive posts are better: Words alone can convey sentiment, but without benefit of inflection or facial expression, they can be misconstrued. Use descriptive wording, emoticons or .gifs to ensure your meaning is clear. By the same token, don't jump to conclusions about another person's intent in posting an unclear comment. When in doubt, ask for clarification. More is better, in eHow's world. Overall, this is a complicated question that can have multiple answers. Most seem to agree, though, that short, concise, posts are best.

What? You use periods when you 'wall of text'?