Top 10 game franchises

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I think the reason Unreal didn't hit #1 for me was because I found the game more a fantastic tool too realise 1's creative meanderings then i did an amazingly engrossing game. Though i do enjoy it and it holds allot of nostalgia for me in the terms of hanging out with good friends just shooting each other... And/or skaarj and death humping nali cows.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
My top 10 list can only feature games that entertained me for a long time. Certain games are very nice for a couple hours/days but you never play them again. So here they are:

1. Kaiser II (C64)
2. Vermeer (C64)
3. Giana Sisters (C64)
4. Mafia (C64)
5. Goldeneye (N64)
6. Unreal
7.System Shock II
8. UT 2004
9. Stalker
10. Fallout 3

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Ever play zaxxon or blade runner on c64?

Side note: Gave a spare copy of ut2k4 to a younger cousin last night. He just came out of his room to get some food all red eyed and said he had been playing br and inv all night with some guys that didn't speak english well. They had convinced him to dl jailbreak and he was getting food quick while it installed... My here is done, I can go home. If my aunt doesn't kill me for this first.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
1. Unreal Tournament (including Unreal just because of the first time the lights go out)
2. UT2004
3. Quake 3 Arena/Team Arena
4. HL2 (unlike Hal, I loved playing in the canal)
5. Carmageddon 2 (so little time, but oh, so much fun)
6. Medal of Honor AA
7. RTCW - perhaps I am odd, but this game was a fracking blast. Played it more than a few times...just because
8. NOLF - did she say "Abandon Sheep or abandon sheep? (the first one was excellent, only played the demo for #2)
9. Heavy Rain
10. Blade Runner

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
'Franchises' was my original thought... and by top ten I metered mine by how interested in new iterations, content, or info for said franchise I was. However I utterly failed to state that and as such may have made the thread relevant as I do tend to over think everything, thus leaving it fairly open to individual interpretation.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
[GU]elmur_fud;2572381 said:
Ever play zaxxon or blade runner on c64?

Yeah, Blade Runner wasn't really my thing, but Zaxxon and Super Zaxxon...hell yeah.

Also, I loved and played this game into oblivion:

Blue_Max.ss.gif

Blue Max

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
There is no order, they're just my un-resistable favourites.
  • Batman Arkham: (Asylum/City) - These games blew me away they're so well polished.
  • Hitman: - I've always enjoyed the illusion of choice these games provided
  • GTA - I don't overly love the GTA games. I find they tend to fall flat, never really managing to crawl much further away than their origin in GTA3/VC. No matter how many mini-games or how big the map is the game always seems to come down to RPG'ing cop cars but I'll always follow them and will always try them out to see if someone's finally made a third personsimili to the real world that is more fun to be in.
  • Unreal: I feel that since Unreal and UT they've lost touch with the community but i'll always be devoted to the series should it ever continue to exist.
  • Mario: - I might not like all the games, I definitely haven't played them all but the franchise will always keep my attention. The first time i played Mario 1, the first time I played the awesome, insane and under-rated Mario 2, Mario 3(world?), Mario 64 and later Mario galaxies. (Only played on a borrowed Wii) I've never known other games that can take such simplicity and make it so convincingly entertaining without dropping the ball along the way.
  • Mortal Kombat: - I like street fighter, I enjoyed Tekken, I want to like Soul Calibur but I LOVE Mortal Kombat! It's had it's bad times but it's latest entry has definitely made up for past mistakes.
Assassin's Creed almost makes the list. The first game left a bitter taste in my mouth for a long time though. I tried the sequels by chance and it was only then I got hooked. I'll need to try AC3 to know how committed I am.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
guess I'm going to list my top franchises then, instead of individual games since we've all done that before.

1. Mario
    - perhaps cliche, but this is really where it all started. the foundation of modern game design, and tbh I've never played a Mario game I didn't enjoy no matter what generation or platform.
  2. Unreal Tournament
    -
    in spite of UT3, you're still left with 99 and 2k4 which basically began my love affair with PC gaming and modding. before UT I didn't consider gaming on my computer as a serious hobby. we just owned a Sega Genesis and SNES. suddenly a whole new world was opened up. I still play 99 and 2k4 from time to time.
  3. Grand Theft Auto
    - more or less my favorite modern franchise. ever since GTA2 I've been hooked on sandbox games. I loves me some FPS and RPGs, but I tend to play sandbox games (as opposed to strictly linear) much longer than any other type of game. and GTA has perfected the formula. huge scope, lengthy adventures, fun stories, oozing style and creativity, never a dull moment. plus just like UT, GTA has a massive modding community that puts out thousands of custom addons, big and small.
  4. Legend of Zelda
    - my consummate favorite RPG. starting with A Link to the Past and continuing all the way through Skyward Sword, Zelda never fails to capture my imagination. there's a certain charm about these games in particular that's very unique, I just don't see it in other typical 'high fantasy-style' games. maybe it's the music. maybe it's the eerie blend between the cheerful and the mysterious (ala Majora's Mask). I'll go back and play through several Zelda games every year, mostly using emulators now. but the experience never gets old.
  5. Half-Life
    - hands down my favorite singleplayer FPS ever. I'm not even sure exactly why, but HL games tend to create a greater sense of immersion for me than almost any other singleplayer title I've ever known. epic story, epic characters, epic environments. can't beat it. and once again it's got that huge modding community to boot.
  6. Assassin's Creed
    - speaking of epic, AC is epic on a scale that most games could never hope to match simply because of it's bold direction. what other game would dare to drop the player in the middle of ancient Jerusalem or Damascus? let alone Istanbul and Rome. AC's story might be kind of ridiculous, but god damn if I'm not a sucker for it's gorgeous recreations of history and the endless parkour free-running. not to mention the stealthy hitman aspect.
  7. Fallout
    - mostly referring to the 3D-era titles, Fallout 3 and New Vegas have made a lifelong fan out of me. I've lost track of the number of times (and hours I've poured) playing through the massive expanse of post-apocalyptic wasteland. there's so much 'stock' content and so many mods that Fallout can basically be turned into whatever type of game you want. and the ambiguous morality is the best I've seen in a major game by a major studio. most people shy away from such graphic and cruel (potential) decision making. Fallout dives right in.
  8. Command and Conquer
    -
    simply my favorite RTS. and I usually don't like any RTS games. something about C&C keeps me entertained unlike any other. it's probably the focus on resource gathering and base building/defense. the balance between factions and capabilities is also perfect.
  9. Rainbow Six
    - easily one of my favorite FPS of all time. I can't get enough of the tactical planning and hyper-realism. the level of difficulty annoys the hell out of some people but I routinely catch myself drooling. there's nothing quite like executing the perfect plan, infiltrating a building undetected, blowing the door to a room full of terrorists holding hostages, and dropping them like meatbags with swift headshots before they even have a chance to react.
  10. Need for Speed
    - while not necessarily the most realistic driving experience, NFS are still my favorite racing games by a long shot. they're just too much fun. whether it's exotic supercars running from the cops on the French Riviera or tricked out rice-burners blasting through traffic in the middle of downtown, NFS certainly delivers on high-octane track racing. they can be corny and campy and arcade-y but they're rarely short on entertainment. NFS also does a great job with its soundtracks. one of the few games where I don't play my own music in the background.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/09/the-50-best-video-game-franchises/#gallery

I am not sure what these peoples criteria was. This list certainly seems as arbitrary as any of our personal top 10's. Certainly no market analysis backing it up. Can't be fastest selling that would be #15 Also can't be most profitable, it goes to hell at #3 on that 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

So why do I bring it up? Cause I can't think of a better illustration of the difference between casual gamers and the gaming enthusiast then the fact that I was compelled to look into this list and see if it had any researched backing and that I was relieved to determine it did not... though I am still however horrified to see how popular The Sims is.