UT3 Patch 2 Internal Beta Changelist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Why put it at the bottom of the list when it's the worse thing ever, lol?
A lot of AI improvement, awesome patch for offline play. I guess.

Bot taunt after winning a match is entirely useless. I hope we can set this right up.
I didn't expect something to entirely customize bots at this time, but I'd have liked that.

Just thought I'd point out, this is for players vs. bots mode I think. In UT2004, if you played a game set to players vs bots, at the end of the match the bots would type out messages saying how much they owned or how much the map sucks or whatever depending on if they won or lost. ;D

BigDragon

Jan 20, 2008
Reston, VA
  • Added support for autodownloading packages while in gameplay or while travelling.
  • Fixed HTTP download compression.
Sounds like
  • Fixed the CD key always prompting when the user has no network card
Yes, I looked right at those. They don't appear to be fixes to what I'm talking about. You can't play a map unless it's loaded immediately after downloading, and that's when I tend to get disconnected. It's that "seamless" map loading period where the server seems to think I dropped the connection or left or something. It doesn't give me a chance to load half the time.

For the CD key thing, it prompts all the time if my network hardware is disabled (which I do sometimes while traveling). However, I've seen no indication that the game will remember the CD key when the IP changes. Not having a network card just gives you the same offline IP, which is a lot different from an IP that changes a lot.

Of course, Epic deleted my post on their forums pointing out these two issues. It looks like they want to play a game of "delete the post to make a problem go away" rather than addressing an issue. If they pull that stunt again, they will regret it.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes, I looked right at those. They don't appear to be fixes to what I'm talking about. You can't play a map unless it's loaded immediately after downloading, and that's when I tend to get disconnected. It's that "seamless" map loading period where the server seems to think I dropped the connection or left or something. It doesn't give me a chance to load half the time.
Then you are interpreting it wrong. What is happening is that it won't download the map on server travel so it kicks you out. This fix allows you to download during gameplay AND while traveling which means when other people are loading the map.
For the CD key thing, it prompts all the time if my network hardware is disabled (which I do sometimes while traveling). However, I've seen no indication that the game will remember the CD key when the IP changes. Not having a network card just gives you the same offline IP, which is a lot different from an IP that changes a lot.
No it doesn't. Windows assigns a random IP in their 169.254.0.0 range. If you don't have a NIC, you wouldn't have an IP address at all anyway, and so this fix probably stops the CD-Key entry from requiring an IP address. In other words, it could or could not fix your problem, you'll just have to wait and see.
Of course, Epic deleted my post on their forums pointing out these two issues. It looks like they want to play a game of "delete the post to make a problem go away" rather than addressing an issue. If they pull that stunt again, they will regret it.
It's more than likely they deleted it due to the replies it would get rather than your actual post.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Then you are interpreting it wrong. What is happening is that it won't download the map on server travel so it kicks you out. This fix allows you to download during gameplay AND while traveling which means when other people are loading the map.
In what circumstance would you be downloading something from the server while playing?

Guyver1

Sep 13, 2000
www.doazone.btinternet.co.uk
Good luck with that. Numerous Epic people consider weaponthrow + weaponstay ON an exploit :|

See this is what is pissing me off most with Epic atm.

Its not their job to decide what an exploit is (unless its a blatent cheat) or how we should play the game, its the server admins/league organisers/people actually playing the game. (please dont take that last sentance literally, i know Epic have to fix exploits but i dont mean it as all sweeping as it sounds, it should be read under the context of the text below)

What we need is CHOICE.

All Epic should be doing is creating a highly customisable game where their ONLY remit is to put in a sensible 'normal' set of 'default' game settings, NOT code them right out the game so you HAVE to play how they tell you to.

I think this single issue right here pisses me off more than anything else :mad:

Last edited:

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
Wow, another patch? I didn't really need another one really, the game was already excellent as it is. Thanks Epic, your doing to much for us.

SNORE

Sorry, I have the bad habit of compensating the negative radiation coming from threads like this by placing uber happy ones. Continue the bashing!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
their game, their rules ...

See this is what is pissing me off most with Epic atm.

Its not their job to decide what an exploit is (unless its a blatent cheat) or how we should play the game,...
It *is* their job to decide how the 'default' / 'vanilla' game should be played.(period)
And they have decided that each player should take care of his own resources under those circumstances.
There's always UnrealEd & scripting to fix this, unless you are lazy.
In fact AFAIK someone has already released a 'weapon throw'-mutator ...

What we need is CHOICE.

All Epic should be doing is creating a highly customisable game...

It already is "highly customisable" ... you've got UnrealEd and access to the full script as used by the game. In fact I haven't seen a series that is as open to modding as the Unreal-series is for ages. With most games you're lucky if you get a furniture-mover instead of access to sources and the same map-editor as used by the developers ...

If you can't customise your game with those resources then I don't know what will ever satisfy your needs.

In other words : you do not want choice, you want every possible option handed to you on a silver platter.
// ---

The ModFamilies-feature sounds like it will help us in more ways than one.
Custom Factions -> Custom Voicepacks too ... :)

Improvements to voice menu. Added "status" section.
If I read that correctly then somebody will know that we need to get our flag back ...
I hope it also gives us access to more of phrases.

Keep in mind that this is merely the first beta.
As we've seen with the first patch there's likely to be more items on the list once it is released.

Of course it would have been better if this stuff had been fixed before release, but since we've become used to patching games it was only a matter of time before even Epic fell into that trap.

Guyver1

Sep 13, 2000
It *is* their job to decide how the 'default' / 'vanilla' game should be played.(period)
And they have decided that each player should take care of his own resources under those circumstances.
There's always UnrealEd & scripting to fix this, unless you are lazy.
In fact AFAIK someone has already released a 'weapon throw'-mutator ...

I quite clearly said that it was Epics job to provide a set of default settings for the vanilla game. What i hate is them forcing restrictions on the player/paying customer.

Since when do i need a mutator or use the editor to play with a fov of 140 because I want to. How many games do you know where your playing offline do they restrict you to some set of rules?? nearly every single game out there allows you to bring down the console and play about with every cvar, change your fov to whatever you like.

UT3 change your fov, yes , die and we'll force it back to what WE (Epic) want.

Guyver1

Sep 13, 2000
i dont remember the original UT being restricted in this manner?

even online you could play with whatever fov you wanted, i remember playing Insta CTF with a fov of 125 on a good ol 17" 4:3 CRT becasue the game/engine ALLOWED you too. whats changed is that Epic seem to want to restrict and close off things that were freely 'tweakable' for the last 8-9 years.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Great fixes:

-Fixed pathing issues that were causing bots to get stuck in some places. When a move fails, force a route refresh. Add cost to reachspecs when bot fails repeatedly.
-Improved AI code for adjusting around obstacles. If adjust left and right fail, try moving to center of reachspec.
-If previous move failed, don't allow "advanced tactics" (serpentine, etc.) for next move.
-Added FailedMoveTarget and MoveFailureCount to controller to track movement failures.
-Added bForceNoDetours to UTBot. Don't allow detours when bot is approaching a neutral node (more important to touch node first).

but i already spend 2 weeks during christmass trying to fight all those bot advanced tactics to get stuck. Comrades we getting closer to real beta version of UT3.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I quite clearly said that it was Epics job to provide a set of default settings for the vanilla game. What i hate is them forcing restrictions on the player/paying customer.

Since when do i need a mutator or use the editor to play with a fov of 140 because I want to. How many games do you know where your playing offline do they restrict you to some set of rules??
plenty ... do you want me to list them ?
In fact the number of games that allow you to change rules at run-time is pretty small.

Besides ... it makes sense to force a fixed fov in games with 'next gen' engines as a change does affect how stuff looks (especially at the extreme ranges of that setting). That may not matter to you, but to the people designing the game it does.

And it limits the amount of testing debugging which is a good thing(tm) as the patch-list itself already shows that they've had more than enough bugs to fix.

nearly every single game out there allows you to bring down the console and play about with every cvar, change your fov to whatever you like.
nope ... the name cvar is pretty much restricted to Quake/half-life engines.
And if it is available it usually is often requires you to enable 'developer/debug'-mode first. If that isn't a clue as to what the 'console' really is meant for than I don't know what is ...
// ---

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
In what circumstance would you be downloading something from the server while playing?
For example, say you're on Fearless and the server switches to Krodan, which you don't have. Technically you would still have Fearless loaded once Krodan started to download. Traveling is that short transition between closing the previous map andloading the next one. This fix allows you to download a map during both of these circumstances.

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
Mod support:
- Added ScriptedTexture, a type of render to texture that gives Canvas access to script/C++ for rendering custom overlays.
- Added a version of DrawTile() to Canvas that takes a Texture instead of Texture2D so render to texture stuff like ScriptedTextures can more easily be used.

Anybody know if this will help Solid Snake with his much-appreciated attempt to create a new UWindows? Or has he already determined it wasn't practical?